Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
OP Offline
F
Gentlemen,
when Vic and I had written our book, we had so many period photos, we were not able to publish them all in the book. Therefore we both decided to show them all through our website www.germannavydaggers.com. Still under costruction and far from being complete we have a few added. I would like to hear the thoughts of the fellow members here regarding the general idea and the arrangement and resolution of these pics. We will add more when time permits, and of course we will introduce the website here when finished. All these photos are rare and a little bit special. For example: You will not see an Imperial LONG naval dagger for sea-officers in wear, exactly in the length which was regulated. Most of these officers carried shorter daggers. Also water protection police with a dagger is hard to obtain.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance;
Flyingdutchman

T
T
Great pics. I HOPE TO SEE MORE.

The site is coming along nicely and the pics are very good. Not to mention is very fact filled. As you guys fill it with more info and pics I'm sure you'll be rearanging and modifying your categories.

Well done. I'm never disappointed in the work you & Vic do.

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
Dear Hermann, my friend.

I`m shure your site will become the same quality like your and Vic`s book.
There are some wearing pics online who are more then scarce. My favorite is "little Erika"!

regards
Sven

as Tom Johnson use to say:
"...the story is really theirs to tell" now we will do...
F
OP Offline
F
Hi,
thanks for your nice comments! On another test site we have added a dagger, described in the same way as we did in our book.

Please have a look:

http://www.germanautoandaeroco...ebensburg-dolch.html

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Thanks for looking.
Best;
Flyingdutchman

This Rebenburg dagger is a good one to look at. This particular dagger comes from Northern Europe and was bought and returned by a US collector to the seller as the buyer was not sure of the piece. I certainly applaude returning pieces you are not sure of. There are so many navy variations it is difficult to know. Hands on inspection does reveal a very nice and rare Navy variation. I am only aware of three of these particular daggers world wide. A beautiful damascus blade in the Imperial Eickhorn pattern is always nice to see.

The approach that Hermann and I are pursuing both in our book and website is to provide quality pictures of period examples. If you look at enough good ones, then the bad ones will give you the feeling of "Cognitive Dissonance", that feeling you get when something is wrong. Sometimes you are not even sure of what is wrong but you know it is something. When you get that feeling it is the first sign to walk away.

One little thing to look at on navy daggers you encounter is so simple but often neglected; look at the suspension eyes and rings. Navy daggers were made to be worn, sometimes you encounter eyes that are so poorly done that the dagger would never hang correctly. I have seen a group of new Imperial Scabbards that are extra Fancy on the body, but fail completely at the eye.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,266,015 SS Bayonets
1,763,235 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,950 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Postwar Military PCs.
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 01:22 AM
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by Vik - 04/23/2024 02:22 PM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Gaspare - 04/23/2024 02:00 AM
S-98 nA. Bayonet
by lakesidetrader - 04/22/2024 01:57 PM
Latest New Posts
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/27/2024 04:45 PM
Rings & Things for the MAX
by Stephen - 04/27/2024 08:19 AM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Ric Ferrari - 04/26/2024 05:52 PM
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,670
Posts329,078
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
3 members (Documentalist, Vern, Stephen), 616 guests, and 133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod