Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
R
Hello G.,

I do not believe Gahr worked on two separated layers then joining them, but the reasons for Gahr requesting a bilaminated silver alloy to his provider could be few :

1) since the inner layer is softer, to make the engraving job easier ? (my preferred one)

2) to save silver if compared with an alloy with more percentage of silver ?

3) to prevent engraving area from oxidation ?

Anyway I see no reason to believe lab result uncorrect, since it was performed on several rings even and it paradoxically kill the die cast theory.

Since double band is never visible, it means that Gahr received blank silver bar already bilaminated, more likely the same way SS cap eagles/skulls factories received cupal alloy ready to be impressed?.(during pre-war period).

Ric

Last edited by Ric Ferrari; 08/12/2018 07:28 AM.
R
R
Originally Posted by Gaspare
Ric,, forget about die cast.. True die cast,,like the toy cars.. It involves a permanent mold,,molten metal, injected with pressure, gages to check etc etc. . Wasn't done back then, and not now.. IF it ws a viable method for mass production of rings it would still be used because its more refined now than ever?...

I did never believe to die casting theory at all, but to definitively kill such insane and nonsense theory we have to logically argument.

I guess that bilaminated structure is not compatibile with production by die casting and a confirmation about it would be a perfect assist.

Ric

Last edited by Ric Ferrari; 08/12/2018 07:54 AM.
M
M
At this point the waf thread has descended into the motivations of the Germans who made the ring as being irrelevant to the inquiry at hand so I believe I have made my last post over there. I recall at sos 2015 Andy showing me and vinny an iron cross made some way or with some material that was non standard, I believe it was a brass core, or something to that effect- the first question Andy asked us was why we thought that happened. We of course could not guess, and Andy said if the Germans were anything- they were intentional. Not a mistake. Brass does not oxidize in the same way as iron, he said- and this was a KM mans cross. They had to withstand saltwater conditions. Sorry for the story but it always stuck with me as an example of understanding the maker and their motivations. It is deeply insightful- and how important is that to understanding the HR...? Is there anything more important than that? Otherwise it is just a piece of metal. To that point- take a look at this band! Is it an old smoothie? No... the engraving on the inside only says HOU Titanium. That is my wedding band.

M
M
The image of a double band can be seen in almost any ring as a play of shadow, and perhaps elevation. Not just the HR.

T
Online Content
T
Mike
I think I am with you! Seems like posting on that thread by Mr. Scalpini is like running into a wall over and over. He is pushing his idea and he is the one with blinders on. I will stay here!

R
R
Originally Posted by Mike (aka Byzanti)
At this point the waf thread has descended into the motivations of the Germans who made the ring as being irrelevant to the inquiry at hand so I believe I have made my last post over there. I recall at sos 2015 Andy showing me and vinny an iron cross made some way or with some material that was non standard, I believe it was a brass core, or something to that effect- the first question Andy asked us was why we thought that happened. We of course could not guess, and Andy said if the Germans were anything- they were intentional. Not a mistake...

Mike,

you hit (again) the point :

German were/are an intentional people, they do/did the best they can/could at the lower cost possible..and Gahr was german !

When Scapini do not answer to "why had Gahr to be so complicated in making ring" question, is because he forget above truth to support his nonsense theories.

Ric

Last edited by Ric Ferrari; 08/13/2018 05:22 PM.
M
M
hi members
ric i just have to say this about german enginuity especially during the third reich they all did better quality work very little mistakes were made yes when they had slave labor working for them even in the last days when germany was defeted they still tryed to have quality items not quanity i had a machinest friend his father told hin in the 1950s the machinest of america sent germany what they said was the smallest dril bit in the world german machinest looked it over and made two drill bits out of the one america sent them and they said these are the smalest drill bits in the world thatswhat i call enginuity i personily feel gahr silversmits made a great himmler ss honor ring i will rest my case hope every one agrees i will be very happy when the colusion ring saga is over no body knows just guessing call muller its over guys god bless andy militarynut

Online Content
Andy,

The version of the drill story that I heard was that in the 1950's, The Japanese sent a drill bit to the Swiss claiming it was the worlds smallest. The Swiss sent it back with a hole drilled through the shank.

M
M
hi dave
was it the swiss your probly right well the germans were just as gifted ok you win pick up the marbles have a great day god bless andy militarynut

V
V
Hi all,

I follow waf thread since the begging and I do not believe what I read. To me, Antonio does not know exactly what he is saying as he changes his point of view several times acording the replies he got. He has a true that created on his mind according his investigations and he would never change it although the real truth were in front of him. So, to him, the rings are cast and he can change how they are made but not that they are cast

He made some rings and he believe an expert. The bad part is that he does not want to read and asume expert opinions as they not match with his cast theories. Another bad part is that you cannot speak with him, because if you not agree his ideas you are his enemy and we will mock you.

Seems only interested in two questions that ask every time to Rick...

I post serval times some questions about the reason of the seam if they think they were cast in round and got no reply. Also ask him some info about how many rings he has studied and no replies.

So it does not matter what we said as he will negate and ridicule it. From my point of view the best we can do is show, specially on waf, that his ideas are wrong and why. As there are other members that will read his opinions and we don?t want they were confused about HR manufacturing.

My nick on waf is magferran. Fascinating info about HR is here. Congratulations to real experts...

Kind regards All

Hice todo ubique
M
M
hi sir
thank you for your opinion on mr. antonio scapinis ideas on how the gahr firm made these ss honor rings there is no one alive from the gahr firm that can answer these hard questions about how they were made also you are right in my opinion he is ignorent to the fact that people like you me and many great experenced in third reich rings here has no opinion he calls us names i only made a few responces to him and i know they wernt nice ones but who does he think he is to me he is nothing and i told him so in my opinion he should take lessons on how to address outher people let him come to america i will help him on how to address another collector the trouble over on werhmach forum they let him get away with his rederic with outher members because he is a moderator poop on his title as shark tank mr. wonderfull says your dead to me the sad part is nobody gets to enjoy thier hobby and he is hurting his own hobby so far there is a few thousand posts and nothing positive learned all hot air but some still feed in to him they should learn this is a dead end hope all agree god bless andy militarynut

T
Online Content
T
von ropen (magferran)
Welcome aboard! Glad to see you here. On this forum you will find a very courteous , knowledgeable and most helpful group of folks. Ron

M
M
Welcome von ropen- I read all your posts on that thread, you made excellent points!!

V
V
Originally Posted by Militarynut
hi sir
thank you for your opinion on mr. antonio scapinis ideas on how the gahr firm made these ss honor rings there is no one alive from the gahr firm that can answer these hard questions about how they were made also you are right in my opinion he is ignorent to the fact that people like you me and many great experenced in third reich rings here has no opinion he calls us names i only made a few responces to him and i know they wernt nice ones but who does he think he is to me he is nothing and i told him so in my opinion he should take lessons on how to address outher people let him come to america i will help him on how to address another collector the trouble over on werhmach forum they let him get away with his rederic with outher members because he is a moderator poop on his title as shark tank mr. wonderfull says your dead to me the sad part is nobody gets to enjoy thier hobby and he is hurting his own hobby so far there is a few thousand posts and nothing positive learned all hot air but some still feed in to him they should learn this is a dead end hope all agree god bless andy militarynut

Originally Posted by Tanker
von ropen (magferran)
Welcome aboard! Glad to see you here. On this forum you will find a very courteous , knowledgeable and most helpful group of folks. Ron

Originally Posted by Mike (aka Byzanti)
Welcome von ropen- I read all your posts on that thread, you made excellent points!!

Many thanks to all for your kind words and great welcome. As I said is a pleasure be in this forum reading your clever ideas.

Hice todo ubique
G
G
I invited ' von ropen (magferran)' to have a look here after he made some intelligent questions and was answered by dismissal or ridicule or just plain rudeness. So von ropen first, welcome to the forum here.. We have a great international membership truely from around the world! We get crazy sometimes here too but not to that point they are at WAF. The real shame of it all is that he is a Moderator and should be helping not hindering..

So von ropen [how about VR?],, Seems you collect Honor rings.. Do you collect other 3rd reich jewelry? You are welcome to post just about anything here,,private purchase rings, cufflinks, tie clips, Fobs, stickpins, Brooches, bracelets, cigarette cases etc. etc. There's over 20 or so back pages to look thru. Plenty to see and learn and to add to even very old posts, please feel free to add to anything... So have a good time here..

VR, this is also the Premier forum / Site for daggers and anything blade related. I do believe GDC was the first and still the absolute best when it comes to blades. We also have other subject forums to visit,,,click on 'Forums' to see the list of other subject areas. and again please feel free to post anywhere. Free to join and to post photos ,,I think the limit is 170kb.. It's always good to have a few sites to go to so thanks for including us in your group. SO enjoy the site and look forward to seeing any of your collection.. Thanks...,Gaspare

Last edited by Gaspare; 08/20/2018 01:01 AM.
R
R
Hello magferran/von ropen,

thank you for offering your point of view here on GDC and on WAF.

Ric Ferrari

V
V
I invited ' von ropen (magferran)' to have a look here after he made some intelligent questions and was answered by dismissal or ridicule or just plain rudeness. So von ropen first, welcome to the forum here.. We have a great international membership truely from around the world! We get crazy sometimes here too but not to that point they are at WAF. The real shame of it all is that he is a Moderator and should be helping not hindering..

So von ropen [how about VR?],, Seems you collect Honor rings.. Do you collect other 3rd reich jewelry? You are welcome to post just about anything here,,private purchase rings, cufflinks, tie clips, Fobs, stickpins, Brooches, bracelets, cigarette cases etc. etc. There's over 20 or so back pages to look thru. Plenty to see and learn and to add to even very old posts, please feel free to add to anything... So have a good time here..

VR, this is also the Premier forum / Site for daggers and anything blade related. I do believe GDC was the first and still the absolute best when it comes to blades. We also have other subject forums to visit,,,click on 'Forums' to see the list of other subject areas. and again please feel free to post anywhere. Free to join and to post photos ,,I think the limit is 170kb.. It's always good to have a few sites to go to so thanks for including us in your group. SO enjoy the site and look forward to seeing any of your collection.. Thanks...,Gaspare

Gaspere VR is good smile yes thanks for invite me to join the forum it was a fantastic idea. All the point af view that are posted here, and replies are with respect To the rest of the members as I discover reading some post.

About jewelry only interested on rings, sometimes when I go to an antique shop I like to keep an eye to cigarette cases and lighters. So will keep an eye to the the forums. Principally I collect iron crosss, from all the periods. And badges also. But enjoy keep an eye to different stuff and discover new things.

Again, thanks for the welcome Gaspare

Originally Posted by Ric Ferrari
Hello magferran/von ropen,

thank you for offering your point of view here on GDC and on WAF.

Ric Ferrari

Ric, excellent work on your replies to Antonio. Seems he is obsessed with you smile

Thanks again to all the members

Hice todo ubique
R
R
Originally Posted by von ropen
Ric, excellent work on your replies to Antonio. Seems he is obsessed with you smile

Actually that's a big issue because I have an hard time to depersonalize discussion to research the truth.

Ric

Last edited by Ric Ferrari; 08/20/2018 03:59 PM.
V
V
Well there are two options if Antonio won?t share his discovers.
1-he is not sure about what he has discover due the replies of the fellow members or
2- he only want to promote his future book as tanker has pointed in WAF. This ?affair? helps him to create some controversy

In any case he is not fair with community members

Hice todo ubique
R
R
Well there are two options if Antonio won?t share his discovers.
1-he is not sure about what he has discover due the replies of the fellow members or
2- he only want to promote his future book as tanker has pointed in WAF. This ?affair? helps him to create some controversy

In any case he is not fair with community members

If you pay attention to key statement in WAF.#1 (along with thread title), to me his purpose appears clear :

"I already asked this on another forum (I suppose he's referring to GDC) , and the result was: they were die struck since experts said that and this is enough for us.

Good, but this is not enough for me"

Since the beginning his purpose is tying his name to the truth of how honor ring were made, just to promote himself like the new "go to guy" after previou step....to dirt Don Boyle public image.

Researching the truth is just a pretext to flood with tons of miscroscope "evidences" on WAF and GDC, with no interest in anyone disagree with him, even if by a logical way.

Of course having no interest but to promote himself, he did not pay attention to research true evidences supporting his theories and now he's taken by fear of being unable to finish the job.

Like a cherry on the cake, to dispel remaining doubts, he has candidly admitted (WAF.#766) :

"On my side I will close soon this discussion, because I'm tired of all the useless posts made until now. A civil discussion can be better made in few, where no experts chime in with "the advanced collectors said that is the truth"....."

"Find out the truth" in community interest has nothing to do with this dirty affair...here it's just a matter of $$$$$$$ IMO

Ric

Last edited by Ric Ferrari; 08/21/2018 09:43 AM.
R
R
Dear Odal,

I wish you were here, to silence bullsh*t pushers :

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=960453

RIP

Ric

Last edited by Ric Ferrari; 08/22/2018 11:29 AM.
G
G
God, I miss him dearly,,yes RIP my friend..

This HR. Worn to death.. Where are exposed bubbles that would be from a cast?? Where are the 2 bands?? Something is weird with the HR. I don't know what it is.. Some kind of unorthodox manufacture...

T-9sNElDTeQ.jpg (33.12 KB, 158 downloads)
R
R

Last edited by Ric Ferrari; 08/22/2018 04:09 PM.
V
V
Yea it is closed 😂 someone should be angry

Hice todo ubique
V
V
Seems as it were polished until leave it plain... extrange. Does a wear can do this?

God, I miss him dearly,,yes RIP my friend..

This HR. Worn to death.. Where are exposed bubbles that would be from a cast?? Where are the 2 bands?? Something is weird with the HR. I don't know what it is.. Some kind of unorthodox manufacture...

Hice todo ubique
M
M
Looks like a 30s ring. They were thinner, the outsides much more detailed/fine - not sure how to put it exactly. But it looks like those generally wore pretty fast compared to the 40s. Plus, they were worn through a war- maybe 10 plus years on a thin ring, or more- seems like some could get worn to smooth, sure. They noticed how quick they wore so the design changed, as I understand it.

R
R
Hello,

I was ready to post a technical question but unfortunately (or fortunately ?) Gary Wood closed discussion before.
So having Hapur like a member here, I guess this is the right place to post the question :

Antonio Scapini said :

"Porosity is made by casting or struck process !..Both metals are casted at the beginning! Is the second work (to make them become rings!) that give them their density! "

Antonio forgets (on purpose ?) that Hapur prepare blank bar by rolling mill and that has an influence on porosity (or density ?) :

https://youtu.be/I_jvDXT3Flk

Am I right ?

Ric

SSHRvsHapurbyXray.jpg (40.89 KB, 147 downloads)
Last edited by Ric Ferrari; 08/23/2018 08:17 AM.
V
V
Does Antonio tested Harpur?s big or small band ring?

Hice todo ubique
R
R

All Honor rings by Harpur made by silver sterling and to my knowledge he only changed skull shape (big and small)..if I did understand your question.

Ric

Last edited by Ric Ferrari; 08/23/2018 11:10 AM.
V
V
Originally Posted by Ric Ferrari

All Honor rings by Harpur made by silver sterling and to my knowledge he only changed skull shape (big and small)..if I did understand your question.

Ric

He has two rings. One with big band and other with a bit smal close to the original. Also two skulls... there is a photo of the two rings in the forum.

Hice todo ubique
V
V
Here is a link to the thread... I prefer the small band

http://phpstack-500133-1583587.cloudwaysapps.com/~germand2/ubbthreads.php/topics/319844/re-personalized-reproduction-honor-ring-source.html#Post319844

Hice todo ubique
G
G
VR,, that HR is from natural wear! There are several out there. Some worn during the war and then the US vet kept wearing it!

No matter how smooth the outside the inner engraving is still pretty good!

There are other photos on this topic of worn rings like that one. You just don't see the things Tony is talking about when they are that worn.. IF a true cast you would see pock marks/bubbles the more worn it is.
This photo is of a famous HR. In good worn condition. The engraving looks deep and fine. You can see enter marks from the engraving tool and even exit marks. [plunge and exit marks]

Ramsperger_e.JPG (16.13 KB, 174 downloads)
R
R
Here is a link to the thread... I prefer the small band

http://phpstack-500133-1583587.cloudwaysapps.com/~germand2/ubbthreads.php/topics/319844/re-personalized-reproduction-honor-ring-source.html#Post319844

Thank you, VR

I didn't know of another band less wide, so I do not know which band Antonio tested

Ric

Hi all, I try long time dont post any my opinions
But Im realy dont understand, why still we continue to discuss this topic ???

My English is weak to understand everything 100% and the harder it is, to express all the nuances in the dispute, this nonsense and the plumb line, tin platinum, I just do not even want to dive into all the nuances that refute it, but it's enough to understand one thing that should have stayed, a trace from soldering, a tin strip to a silver-based ring - 1
2 - it would be very well seen
3 - the inner surface of the ring, just as it gets dark - it is oxidized like the outer one (this means silver, and not tin)
4 - stupidity about the ease of engraving on the tin surface, engraving is done even on gun steel and for a very long time, which means it's a complete mess, that a plate of tin (as I read one of the assumptions, was put to facilitate engraving)
5 - the process itself, is very complicated (although as I said we do not see on any ring, traces of soldering, otherwise it would look like a sandwich)
All this theory, I am a complete failure, for what so much time to spend on it))) ???

P.S. use google traslater )))

G
G
E., yes all seems weird but he has testing to prove his claims. I kind of don't understand it myself,,but he has it...

I have always thought there was something weird with the HR. So look horrible, some look great. When you really look in close to them , especially the 2nd patterns you see weird things.. Maybe someday we'll get an answer..

M
M
hi gaspare
i dont get what you are saying please explain with these words weird /horrible/and do you mean looking close with your eyes with a microscope or what . when i first laid my eyes on a honor ring many years ago i thought they were well designed by the elite ss himmler and his high ranking people of the ss since 1933 in my honest opinion i see a genuine hard to find ss artifact thats not ugly or weird both the honor ring and the ss officers sword is still the most sort after artifacts of collecting ss and also in my opinion these ss honor rings to me are not weird nor horrible looking even a very worn unsightly smooth honor ring still has that mystic feeling about it of who might have owned it in the ss so this is my opinion maybe while at the max show you can examine the ones i have for sale appreciate any and all opinions thanks god bless andy militarynut

G
G
Andy,, you know I enjoy the hell out of these rings!. One of the coolest rings made during the 3rd reich! My weird and horrible comments relate to the manufacture.

The HR displays hints of being pressed and hints of being cast.. For me the easiest and simplest way would be to press it.
- A drawn bar from bullion,,chocked up in a press table. A die on the ram, press a button and you have it!
* But how do we explain Tonys tests? Like I mentioned I don't want to get 'in to' them because I don't understand them. They are in Italian and,, I'm not clear of what they are exactly showing so I don't comment...

We,,all of us,,have fun imagining how they are made. Hapurs video seems to have the answer! But when you look close maybe its not the case.. We all have relied on Dons comments, opinions, findings, expertise etc.over many years... But he's left us hanging and won't comment on the tests,,,OR, maybe he's been studying them and will come out with some revelations..I don't know!

But yes they are cool. To me the highest award, present, call it what you want. Imagine getting one of these from Himmler!,,the award document!, The cool SS box!,, the privilege, the prestige!,, all of it and it can all be worn daily on your finger!,,,,again, from my opinion,,,you just can't beat it!

Hey members,,,going to be at the MAX and want to see some of the finest, authentic HRs out there??? Visit 'MilitaryNuts' table.. And if your lucky he'll take them out and show the to you,,,and IF your real lucky and in the market for one he might just sell you one of his! grin
wink

Last edited by Gaspare; 08/31/2018 04:25 AM.
V
V
HR are fascinating. To me is obvious that are stuck, but as they have different skull is what confusing people. And the constant change of pattern due Her Himmler whim does not help and collectors may think they have manufactured in different way. To me the wear is something I do not understand, why Himmler offered an 850 silver and only changed the design nor the silver content.

Hice todo ubique
M
M
I think, von ropen, that you have touched on an interesting point. These mysteries are both the frustrating points as well as the thing that draws you in even deeper to these amazing rings. I believe the mystery parts attract as well as confound the true collector, but nonetheless reveal the ultimate truth about these pieces- they command a respect that projects them to an elite status among militaria collectors and are also ultimately and undeniably the king of all rings.

M
M
hi gaspare
thank you for clarifing your coments on weird /horrible on these historic ss honor rings i apoligize if i made you uncomfotble also i know i some times get excited myself and cant understand some peoples wording untill they clarifi themselves also i have to agree with your sayings about hints of these ss honor rings being pressed i believe with what i was told years ago they were pressed cut sized first then after being pressed the master jewelers at the gahr firm joined the seam putting on the early 1930s skull up to the transisunal 1939 skulls which was thicker in size then the master jewelers started to boldly carve out the runics as silver was soft material to work with so the runics would look raised i used to watch the master jewelers down on cannal street n.y.c.forty or more years ago do this type of custom work just amazing to watch these masters turn out thier master pieces sadly now those masters are gone to the gahr firm in the sky most of these masters were european jewelers that did this type of custom work last in my opinion the wear on these historic honor rings are probly from the the silver content that was used high silver or low silver content that was used but any way this is my opinion on how they were made i hope this helps to answer some of this mystery around these great ss honor rings that we all can possibly research and who owned them we here are the keepers of this german history hope all our members agree see you all at the great mighty max show cant wait to show all my treasures there plus they are all for sale just ask and the rest we all can talk about god bless andy militarynut

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Stephen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,473 SS Bayonets
1,760,279 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,750 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,702
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
7 members (benten, AntonGrabbe, Seppi, Dave, AndyRose, Documentalist, Tanker), 437 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod