Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
R
As you can see Tom has on more than one occasion WRONGLY accused me of saying this company did not make SS daggers, but that did make me wonder where are all the other UNQUESTIONABLE examples of this maker if they did produce them. His response is like a politicians, first get the sympathy vote (no need to mention you were at the hospital Tom) then finish with a long speech on irrelevant information to this topic and to point out what a good guy he has been to gain the popularity vote.

Basically what we have here is a consignor (if he exists) who can not or will not say who he originally bought the dagger off, which does not really matter anyway, and we also do not know whether this consignor who had this dagger was not in some way himself responsible for the laser etched blade when it was in his possession. So it does not matter who the consignor originally bought this dagger off or how long he had it, what matters is it has NOW been sold for the consignor through Tom with a laser etched blade.

Best Russ.

C
C
Well, I just read that (thanks for the kudos on the pop the hatch comment, ps oxidation is not proprietary to era, oxidation in 2017 is the same as 1933 any chemist can do that) anyhow I digress. I have followed the European fakes and laser jobs for a good amount of time, I have bought a few too see what they are like. Mostly they come out of The czech republic, liberac to be precise (212.00 on ebay, a small price to pay of knowledge, I own every reference book on German daggers I can find, another small price to pay), the metal is pathetically under the RC hardness of 50, you can hear the difference if you strike the blade, metal density. The laser etching that they do is remedial, the lateral laser lines are evident, the sharp edges (that is the case in the blade in question) are perfect! I have see few daggers with a motto that even comes close to this one in sharpness, I put it up on a big screen to get a better look, I see NO nibbles, not a one, the metal is even throught, acid can't do this, it is an organic reaction that lacks precision, it reacts to the imperfections, varying densities, impurities etc. in the steel, lasers dont care).
Russ, I have to get in the boat with you on this one. The "politics" of this blade are self evident, the opinions (vast majority) are also self evident.
I am usually a silent observer (the scientist in me demands it), however when something like this arises, I feel as though it must be addressed, with a collection of over 200 TR daggers and other edged weapons (mostly for actual use) I have a vested interest in what is real and what is fake, for me it is about the history 1st, the quality second and thirdly the use.
Back to my bunker I go, with a totally new perspective.
Regardless of people's opinions of posters, authors, fakers, sellers, buyers etc. etc. I am thankful a Forum exists, a place to exchange information, ideas and opinions, to showcase our collections, to seek out other works of art (and to let me use a bunch of run on sentences).
Oi

S
Online Content
S
The only thing I am confused by is the original dagger description which states very rare maker never seen before on an SS dagger by Tom Johnson. Yet in the reply on GDC the dagger is mentioned as having been purchased from either Tom J or Tom W. Certainly then one of these fine gentleman would recall such a rare and unknown dagger having been sold by them regardless of selling thousands. Perhaps a mention in Witty's book?? I don't know... A one of a kind maker stands alone and stands out. Also wouldn't Witty be contacted to see if he remembers selling etc..... I also agree that this dagger if this rare is certainly worth in excess of $8000 in this condition, maybe $10,000 if a nice Boker can SELL for $8000 I would assume that there would be a line up for sure. Dave, you collect by type/maker and certainly you would have an interest in an outstandingly rare one of a kind maker from a trusted and well respected authority on SS daggers? Again I have no opinion on the dagger's originality therefore I have not offered comment. I agree that there are many knowledgeable collector members here with many areas of expertise... Red barons knowledge of blade etching comes to mind. One does not need to sell or be a "dealer" to be an authority. Having said this I have read Tom's reply. I have to accept Tom at his word as I have no reason to question either his knowledge or his character. The issues I have with the entire situation are mentioned at the start of my post. There are many respected and knowledgeable GDC members/dealers who are considered authorities on blades and SS daggers. I would have liked to have read their opinions based on the images provided. cheers and best, Ryan

To add my 2 cents worth here, and not taking any position on this particular SS dagger since I profess to know nothing about SS daggers nor SS makers, I have found a very simple question will answer the issue of originality or authenticity when you asks this of any dealer or anyone who resells blades:

'I am thinking of selling this dagger or item, will you make me an offer? If not, why not?'

I have found this question short circuits some of the automatic defenses that arise when you ask one dealer for their opinion on another's items.

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
R
R
Just thought I better show you what I emailed to Johnson so you know I'm not Mr nasty.

Dear Mr Johnson,
It has been brought to the attention of collectors of SS daggers on germandaggers forum that you have recently sold an SS dagger on your site that is said to be a complete fake, the main concern is what definitely appears to be a laser etched blade. It is also said that the maker on the blade did not produce SS daggers and it has been compared next to others deemed also to be fakes. If you visit the site you can see what has been said and respond to the accusations either on the site, through a friend (perhaps Ron Weinand) or I could let them know what your response is. It would be interesting to know why you think this dagger is a legit item. If you did not personally check this dagger out before you sold it and now agree that it is not a correct piece perhaps you could do the honourable thing and refund the buyer his $4500.00 back. Thank you for your time and look forward to hear what you have to say on this matter.

That is the email word for word. Dos'nt look like he's gonna hold his hands up to this one.
Best Russ.

I see Tom was baited and responded with e-mail on post #330993
I believe it should be posted in full here Mr.Russ
As was the condition Per Tom's e-mail.
It is a great letter (e-mail)

Last edited by DAMAST; 08/11/2017 02:47 AM.
R
R
The email has been shown in full Damast, every word of Tom's reply is in post 330993. If you don't believe me contact Tom and ask him. As I've already said I'm crap with computers and had to get the librarian in the local library on their computer to do this for me and she copied and pasted every word of Tom's reply. Please contact him and ask him or PM me an email address and I will have it forwarded to you.

Russ.

R
R
To Tom Johnson,
Well Tom you can see (i think) that some very knowledgeable people on here have given good reason to show this blade as being a laser etched example, i sense others are holding back out of their friendship for you. Nothing in your email (which has been shown in its entirety as you requested) TECHNICALLY explains why in YOUR OPINION the etch is acid etched and not laser etched, you have avoided it with talk of who had the dagger and how long they had it. For me at least, your response was a bit of a let down which deviated away from the main topic of the blade and ended with you publicizing your books. If you can point to anything that indicates this blade as being acid etched then please feel free to email me and i will post your reply, in its entirety on this forum, but please stick to specific technical information.

Russ.

I have been reading this with interest as there is never a consensus on one of these and it is basically people getting their chance to bad mouth certain people. But there always seems to be a universal battle cry from any of the detractors of a major dealer. You are telling us that the only reason anyone would support the dealer is because they are friends with him, or conversely they are not joining in on the trashing because they are his friends. Well, I am not friends with TJ or Dave or the other tom. I have exposed my share of reproductions here, so I am not for or against anyone.

That being said, TJ was quite clear that the technology to do these laser etches has only been around 2 years. A fact people apparently agreed to up to your last post. His point is simple. The technology only existed 2 years ago and the dagger is much older. That is pretty conclusive and that is what must be addressed by you, Russ1

You know, address the actual facts, not just a popularity contest with you and your friends, but factually dispute his statement that the technology has only existed 2 years.

Last edited by Jim W; 08/11/2017 04:01 PM.
I believe laser etching in the context of lithographic plate-making, promotional and material engraving has been around since at least the 80s, maybe earlier, but it has been popularized and easily accessible since the early 2000s in advertising and marketing branding, the laser equipment now is inexpensive and available from many branding vendors. I believe the context of the "about 2-year" reference relates to the first time I encountered this pattern of etching on a blade.

Red

JR Offline
Muller blade without the fittings that was posted 2 years ago.

Muller blade1 (Small).jpg (27.72 KB, 325 downloads)
Muller blade2 (Small).jpg (55.38 KB, 326 downloads)
Muller blade3 (Small).jpg (28.56 KB, 329 downloads)
Muller blade4 (Small).jpg (42.39 KB, 324 downloads)
JR #331021 08/11/2017 04:20 PM
JR, what is the story about this blade?

JR Offline
It was some file photos that I had of a blade that was posted on a forum, over 2 years ago.

Originally Posted By: Redbaron
I believe laser etching in the context of lithographic plate-making, promotional and material engraving has been around since at least the 80s, maybe earlier, but it has been popularized and easily accessible since the early 2000s in advertising and marketing branding, the laser equipment now is inexpensive and available from many branding vendors. I believe the context of the "about 2-year" reference relates to the first time I encountered this pattern of etching on a blade.

Red

That sounds about right to me. Laser engraved guns have been around a lot longer than two years, with all sorts of machines now on the market with different capabilities at much better prices. Not just etching/engraving, but also laser cutters and welders. Best Regards, Fred

C
C
Is Mr. Johnson and expert in laser technology or Daggers? I am not accusing anyone of anything therefore let's address the science, not opinion, "just the facts". The technology to produce laser engravings on metal has been around for way longer than 2 years! Lazer blades have been sold on ebay for longer than 2 years! If that statement were correct then how were other items being laser engraved prior to the last 24 months, last I checked lasers have been around for longer than two years, Vector graphics have been around longer than that, Vectoring is the for laser engraving. Ask a laser engraver, I did. Does anyone own a firearm with a serial number, how about a piece of industrial equipment, or lab equipment, maybe even electronic parts. Do we think those were all forged numbers? hand engraved? stamped? done in the last two years, Nope
So let us address the facts, not about the blade itself but the technology to which we are discussing (seems to be falling outside of the SS dagger discussion but what the heck lets go for the ride) Information is power.
Lasers have been "burning' metal longer than two years, Fact.
Reproducers have been laser etching TR blades longer than two years, Fact. Just look at the the history of what has been sold on ebay.
I could care less about a seller, a buyer, a poster, an author etc. Or even a dagger for that matter. I do however care about technology and science. Opinions about a dagger seem to vary from one end of the spectrum to the other. The facts with regards to technology are irrefutable, it takes about 5 minutes to do the research.
Oi

Thanks JR. As you noted we have seen those before.

Both Vern and I have been to post Tom Johnson's entire email with success. mad Hope we can get it here before long.

Dave

Interesting discussion, hope it keeps going so we learn more.

Dave i tried to copy & paste Mr Johnsons email without success ?

Regards Mac 66

JR Offline

Last edited by JR; 08/11/2017 05:05 PM.
Russ
Please post the letter or e-mail on the forum.. As was the condition Tom stated..
Not a link...
You seem to have no problem with computer skills on the other forum with your negative posts about Tom..
So Russ I never heard back from you on the other forum, will you be at the MAX show to take me up on my offer of two different free Damascus reference books I have set aside for you?

They are a big help to (serious) collectors.
I posted on the other forum to Help with new and young collectors at the MAX show I will give away a limited number of books I imported on Damascus steel By Manfred Sachse.. And also another on Wootz and Persian blades..
This is for the MAX show only....
Doing this to help with promoting a good collecting attitude and to help promote the hobby..
Those who know me know what I collect and know that I am a collector 1st.. Will be sharing my table at the MAX..
If a dealer out there has a new and serious collector bring them by and see if I can set them up with a book... It will help you and the hobby.. A educated buyer is the best buyer...
As far as the thread any problems with items Tom sells it is covered in the letter.
Do I belong to a circle or a (camp) I do not..
But I really do enjoy this hobby and always trying to learn more...
Regards: James Brown

When you paste Tom's letter, it looks like it's there, but when posted, it dissappears

Last edited by vintagetimenow; 08/11/2017 07:51 PM.

John Merling vintagetime@yahoo.com
MAX Life member
OVMS Life member(Ohio Valley Military Society SOS)
OGCA Life member(Ohio Gun Collectors Assoc)
NRA Life member
Exactly, John.

Driving Vern and I nuts

R
R
Damast
The email Tom sent me as I have already said is shown in its entirety in the link, it is a link because as far as I could tell there is too much text, the librarian who done it for me who is a bit of wiz on computers even had some problems herself working out how to get it shown and this link is what she came up with, if you think I am withholding information then you are wrong and I will be happy to forward the email to anyone who would like to PM me an email address then maybe they could manage to post it. Concerning my negative posts on another forum about Tom, do you consider trying to get Tom to do something with all that WKC documentation sitting rotting away in his office as being negative, I see it as trying to advance the hobby. My computer skills as said are crap, but typing a few words in a box and pressing submit is within my means, whenever I need pics shown I get help, maybe someday I will learn. I wont be at the Max show as I live in England and at this moment I don't have the finances for a return flight to America, accommodation and expenses, I have other priorities in my life and collecting daggers is only one of my hobbies, the other is bodybuilding/powerlifting which isn't cheap. Jim W I will send you a PM to answer your post as I don't want to spoil the thread.

Russ.

R
R
Originally Posted By: vintagetimenow
When you paste Tom's letter, it looks like it's there, but when posted, it dissappears

That's the same problem we had and that's why I think she created a link.

Russ.

JR #331043 08/11/2017 08:34 PM
Originally Posted By: JR
It was some file photos that I had of a blade that was posted on a forum, over 2 years ago.

Thanks JR, to place these pictures here.
I posted the link to this blade on WAF in post #330884 but that post was deleted.

I wonder why?

Try this

TJ Post Pg1.jpg (224.75 KB, 243 downloads)
TJ Post Pg2.jpg (236.17 KB, 243 downloads)
TJ Post Pg3.jpg (132.55 KB, 244 downloads)
That is working for me, nicely done. smile smile I tried some other ways, but I'm guessing that the original must have had some kind of a hidden "poison pill" in it that somehow disabled the text? Best Regards, Fred

Last edited by Fred Prinz - FP; 08/11/2017 09:21 PM. Reason: additional
R
R
Nothing explaining why he thinks the etch is acid etched and not laser etched, also concerning the blade he only talks about the time the consignor supposedly had the dagger and there's no saying the consignor was not in some way responsible himself for the blade. As I've already said the thing that matters is that the dagger has been sold to the new owner for the consignor through Tom.

Best Russ.

E
Online Content
E
Very Interesting!!! I know nothing, I know nothing!!!
HEAVY GERMAN ACCENT.
Perhaps the new owner is happy with the dagger?
If it is real, it could be worth $10,000.00, $4500.00 is a deal.
Ive been to the SOS lots of times, lots of repo stuff there, nobody cares. Like another topic asked, how many really survived, we all may have fakes we think are real. Who knows!! Ed

Russ
Thank you for the reply...
Yes, you want Tom to give his period reference collection away because you feel he is doing nothing with it..
Are you aware that some of the documents have already been photographed in some of Toms books? But I already know the answer to this..
It is not for a any forum poster to decide what a person does with his collection..
I spelled this all out before. It seems period reference collectors are to give it away for free here on the internet. And it seems also many get the attitude it is owed to them or than they go as far as to say (owed to the hobby).....
How can this be when the majority posting do not even own 12 basic books on dagger collecting. ( I come to this conclusion by the (some) of the postings..) This is no problem for new collectors of course as they need to ease into it.
And it is all about cost.. Will pay $10,000.00 for a dagger and not $30.00 to $250.00 for a good reference book.
Again I have bought a book or period book for one picture in it....
Those who collect period reference find it is very rare and expensive to buy including travel and shipping.

Now as I said before please let me know Russ or anyone else because your dagger collection is just sitting there ROTTING { LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU ARE GOING TO GIVE IT AWAY} As I want to be 1st in line...

A general post....
Good or bad I have respect for the pioneers of this hobby and there are many names that can be listed here..
Mistakes have been made and also great discoveries but people have learned by there mistakes in the hobby believe me I have and collectors and dealers have made profit from the discoveries.....
Again as I have said before (good) dealers love educated buyers as they do not have to hand hold or do a big sales pitch to sell a item.. It will sell itself...

Last edited by DAMAST; 08/11/2017 10:24 PM.
R
R
Get over it Damast it was only a suggestion and on another forum.

The three words...But not the three magic words.. That Serge ask for.
I posted this here also to show you have a agenda this week and you seem to have zeroed in on someone.
Regards: James

Last edited by DAMAST; 08/11/2017 10:34 PM.
R
R
Three that should apply to you.
My only agenda here is to get a refund for the unfortunate buyer of this dagger if indeed it is somehow proven to be fake.
Some people always think the worst of others. Can we get back to the dagger now.

Russ

Last edited by Russ1; 08/11/2017 10:53 PM.
I am closing this post for 12-24 hours to re-read it and probably crop it. There seems to be a lot of bashing and trolling and baiting going on.

Russ/Bulldog: Please re-read the GDC Code of Conduct posted at the bottom left of each page.

Dave

After re-reading this several times, I conclude that most possible opinions have been voiced, so I am leaving it closed. I will prune the trolling and insults in a few days.

If anyone has new info to offer, send me an email.

Thanks,
Dave

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dave 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,263,694 SS Bayonets
1,762,098 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,052 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Small pennant question.
by Dutchman - 04/07/2024 08:57 PM
Latest New Posts
Personalized reproduction honor ring source?
by Gaspare - 04/18/2024 12:32 PM
Overslept a development???
by Gerrit1963 - 04/18/2024 07:04 AM
Study and learning materials
by Gaspare - 04/17/2024 02:23 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/17/2024 01:58 AM
Bulgarian Brannik youth knife - real?
by wotan - 04/15/2024 06:46 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,667
Posts329,024
Members7,517
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
7 members (Miroslav, sellick8302@rogers.com, Gaspare, Stephen, Nietzsche, ed773, atis), 698 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod