Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Redsled Offline OP
OP Offline
Well I hope I didn't do it again grin I won this off from ebay yesterday evening for 860, I was thinking it was a good dagger except needing a handle. Was advertised that everything was original with the dagger. And I am looking through the SS Forum and a Boker Dagger has the same cross guards, Could somebody help me and let me know How bad I did. Dang it is hard to get a Good SS Dagger for a poor old Man frown
Here are some pictures let me know what you think Thanks Bob

[IMG]
http://i393.photobucket.com/album...ght/8.jpg[/IMG]

Now here is what really throws me. This is a Boker off from our forum Same marks on cross guards

I would appreciate all the help I can get

My Name is Bob and I am a "RACE O HOLIC" AND "THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS"

Well then sorry to be the bringer of bad news. This is not a maker of SS daggers.
The guards are genuine yes but you bought a dagger with a totally fake blade.
Try to send it back and get a full refund because it's crap what you've bought.

A good advice here and now...:

Buy Ralph Siegert's book regarding SS daggers. It's called: 'The Service Daggers of the SS'

It's expensive but a must have if you want to collect these daggers.
Also, post before you buy...

Good luck in the future.

Redsled Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is the way he described it. Thanks Before I buy anything else I will Post it on here before I Buy Thankk you very much
Bob

Original German Elite Dagger Blade in Excellent Condition, with evident cross graining and motto visibly present.  Never re-sharpened or re-tipped.  It is a fine example of an Item from a Collection that has been carefully kept and preserved for many years.  The Maker of the Blade AND the Cross Guards is marked "E.F. Horster", and is excellently evident and present as well.  The Scabbard is also in excellent condition, retaining almost all of the Original Anodized paint, with one small little ding on the drag of the Scabbard bottom.  All Scabbard screws are present,  Very well kept and excellent example of a World War II Historical Artifact and Collectible.  Sorry, NO handle.  Thank you for your interest, returns accepted with a 15% restocking fee.  Shipping includes insurance and signature required for delivery.  Thank you again and Good Luck!  Cheers! 

confused anodized paint?

Redsled Offline OP
OP Offline
Well to bad I couldn't have contacted the seller before He shipped it. He shipped it out this morning before I found this out,But he said to send it back when I get it and he will send me a full refund:)
Thanks for your help Guys Appreciate it. I can build you a full blown Racecar but Guess real SS Daggers are hard to find LOL

No, they are really not hard to find.
Check JR Meda's or Lakesideteaders website.

Redsled Offline OP
OP Offline
Yea need to save money and buy one from a reliable source smile

Redsled Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: luca
confused anodized paint?
I love your Aviator I have about a dozen cats:)

Ahah i love them too much smile

What is this? A topic about SS daggers or a topic about Cats?
Please keep it interesting guys...!

Redsled Offline OP
OP Offline
Sorry smile

A
A
I don't like cats.

A man needs a faithful dog.

A
A
Sorry Krikke!

i like cats

Regards Sean
Redsled Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, Now who and where do they phony these blades up Was it back in the 40's or later then that, How did they do the other makers mark. Where can you get the Reference book you are talking about and what is a fair price to pay for it. I'm a 74 year old man on social security " I call it old age pension. Don't get enough to be social LOL
I Know they do it on the Japanese swords, They will sign the name 100's of years later of a great maker on a good sword to increase the value. smile
Originally Posted By: Krikke
Well then sorry to be the bringer of bad news. This is not a maker of SS daggers.
The guards are genuine yes but you bought a dagger with a totally fake blade.
Try to send it back and get a full refund because it's crap what you've bought.

Online Content
Red,

They phony up the blades these days because of their value. The makers mark is a real one, only that maker did not (we think) make SS daggers. They often start with a real blade and add a phony makers mark or a phony motto.

Also, crossguards were bought from suppliers and are not exclusive to any dagger maker.

The most complete reference book on SS daggers is by Tom Wittmann
http://www.wwiidaggers.com/REFTTW.htm
Not cheap at $150.

Good luck
Dave

Redsled Offline OP
OP Offline
Dave are you guys 100 percent sure that is not a good blade?? I have already notified the seller and I will be getting the Dagger without handle in a couple three days. He is going to give me a full refund, But if need I can take more pictures or maybe send it to one of you experts to really look it over. Would they be any chance at all it would be good. I bought many German Daggers back in the mid 70's to mid 80's Only picked up maybe 1/2 dozen SS"s and they were all good. The came from Vets,

Thanks Dave and the rest of you guys for your help.

Bob
Originally Posted By: Dave
Red,

They phony up the blades these days because of their value. The makers mark is a real one, only that maker did not (we think) make SS daggers. They often start with a real blade and add a phony makers mark or a phony motto.

Also, crossguards were bought from suppliers and are not exclusive to any dagger maker.

The most complete reference book on SS daggers is by Tom Wittmann
http://www.wwiidaggers.com/REFTTW.htm
Not cheap at $150.

Good luck
Dave

Post extreme close ups of the motto and logo..that will nail the coffin shut. And yes..they are 100% sure.

Historical Stewardship is a Trusted Honor that must be kept!
Redsled Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you very much, Just wishful thinking , I'm just going to send it back unopened and get a refund. I am going to post some pictures of another dagger The same seller had to just see if it would have been ok. Thanks Bob
Originally Posted By: Siegfried B
Post extreme close ups of the motto and logo..that will nail the coffin shut. And yes..they are 100% sure.

That Jacobs looks fake to me to. Looks like laser etched. And what is it with the grips? Why do you buy daggers without grips? Do you or that seller of fake blades have a grip-fetisch or so?
Just wondering here... who want's a dagger without a grip?

Redsled Offline OP
OP Offline
I hear you there Krikke Guess I just spend most of my spare money on Classic and Race cars LOL Guess I need to save my money and get a real dagger by a reliable source. Thanks again You have been a great help smile

If you want a real and nice totally original SS dagger go to JR Meda or Lakesidetrader or Tom Johnson.

Redsled Offline OP
OP Offline
I think I have mentioned before I was an on Road Japanese Sword and Nazi Items buyer back in the 70's and 8o's I met Col Tom Johnson in Indianapolis , If I can remember right he was on active duty then Great Person, I don't have any German daggers or Japanese swords left Well I have one Japanese and an old SA that is probly the worst shape . Looks like it has been outside for 50 years in the rain LOL I want an Original SS so bad I can hardly stand it. Maybe someday. I wanted to get a SS first but maybe I will get a Nice SA first smile

C
C
Laser etch, out of Europe, 205.00 a piece, steel is less hard (under a 56 RC), laser lateral lines present, , there are no nibbles at the outer or inner edged of the etch, too clean. maker never made SS (as of yet unseen), If you take two original blades and strike them (lightly dang it!) they will ting, fakes from Europe kinda thud. They are all over Ebay, and have arrived at Gun..... as well. The angle (4 degrees) is also off on these blades at the shoulder, they do not fit crossguards well (too much or not enough arch in the blade shoulder or crossguards).
Just my 2 cents.

Redsled Offline OP
OP Offline
ChriSS Thanks for your help, I have messed around on Ebay quite a bit, but found out if you want a dagger that is any good don'y buy from ebay, Buy a real dagger from a forum like this or a respectable seller, I want a SSdagger a hole lot but have been buying a few Mint Pieces I bought a great Army Dagger from Ivan for a good price, something you can be proud of. From what help you guys have given me I'm thinking 00 percent of the SS Daggers on ebay are phony, They were one Boker that was a super nice one went for 2000.00 Most are parts and pieces. But one day , My day will come Things are a lot harder since I have retired, Now my wife is retired LOL
Originally Posted By: ChriSS
Laser etch, out of Europe, 205.00 a piece, steel is less hard (under a 56 RC), laser lateral lines present, , there are no nibbles at the outer or inner edged of the etch, too clean. maker never made SS (as of yet unseen), If you take two original blades and strike them (lightly dang it!) they will ting, fakes from Europe kinda thud. They are all over Ebay, and have arrived at Gun..... as well. The angle (4 degrees) is also off on these blades at the shoulder, they do not fit crossguards well (too much or not enough arch in the blade shoulder or crossguards).
Just my 2 cents.

C
C
Good luck with your hunt, that is half the fun for me, yep the Europeans are getting much better, however they lack attention to detail, we as dagger nuts really pay attention to detail. Unless we get caught up in the moment, lol, that has cost me a few times.

Redsled Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks CriSS LOL have paid too much for things just because I want them LOL I guess sometimes that is alright as long as you are planning on keeping them forever. smile When I do get me an SS I will do some shopping around and get the best one I can for the Money.

Bob

Originally Posted By: Redsled
Thanks CriSS LOL have paid too much for things just because I want them LOL I guess sometimes that is alright as long as you are planning on keeping them forever. smile When I do get me an SS I will do some shopping around and get the best one I can for the Money.

Bob

Thats right Bob. Now you are talking.
Good luck in your crusade. :-)

Moderated by  Dave 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,455 SS Bayonets
1,760,270 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,728 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,702
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
8 members (Honestmike, Mbuin, Baz69, Evgeniy, AndyRose, The_Collector, AntonGrabbe, Don Scowen), 463 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod