Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
777 Offline OP
OP Offline
Gentleman, I'd like to ask you for help because of translation problems (german to english) in forthcoming publication.
As we all know the common used, but technically WRONG term for SA/SS scabbards is "anodised". It needs just a little effort to check on internet, what anodising IN FACT is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing
As one can see, it is a process applied mainly to ALUMINIUM. It's the way the surface of
aluminium object is prepared (using direct current - the word ANODE) for further
coloring. It is NOT a useful treatment for iron or carbon steel (which scabbards are
made of).
I'm not trying to play expert or anything, I'm just looking for CORRECT name for honest
and accurate translation of the original german word "brunierung".
Brunierung is a strictly chemical treatment (using acid or alkali compositions) of iron
which creates black or brown oxide surface, a kind of "noble" rust.
This is also a term used by Ralf Siegert in his very best up to date refference on SA daggers.
Once again, I don't mind calling the SA scabbards "anodised" on the forum, but I'd like
to use a correct word in refference publication, so I'll be more than gratefull for help from someone with knowledge of metal staining (some firearms are finished that way too).

C
C
Think term is browned as in blued for gun parts

Hi 777, I have always known it as "cold rust browning",nats

777 Offline OP
OP Offline
Bingo! Thank you, nats Smile

Online Content
Anodized ? One of the inaccurate terms used in the hobby, but since it has been used for many years, it will probably endure.

I have heard various other descriptions to describe early SA/SS/NSKK/RAD scabbards but I am not sure that "rust browning" or "rust blacking" do the job.

But to see an early dagger with full "anodization" and the protective lacquer covering is a treat.

Dave

A “browned” or a “blued” (sometimes called blue/black or black oxide) finish will probably do the job for most everyday uses in the (American) English language. With the Germans at some point dropping rust bluing as too costly and an impediment to more rapid production, going instead to a hot chemical dip blue (black oxide).

When I first became a forum member the misuse of “anodized” used to drive me crazy, with the German word “eloxieren” actually referring to anodizing. I don’t react as much as I used to. Because at least some individuals now recognize that the term has no relation to the world outside - and is a language spoken only among dagger collectors.

It was simply individuals that did not understand what they were looking at who first coined the phrase. Probably (my personal opinion only) inspired by the one time popular series of anodized aluminum household beverage containers which had a similar appearing finish.

Likewise the use of “burnishing” by some I believe is a mistranslation of Brünierung. Which refers to browning, which in (UK) English and European use, refered to both the blued and browned finishes. Being simply a dark chemical finish. Instead of the more common English usage of burnishing as polishing. FP

Below: Some of the different blued finishes.

Scabbard_Body_Sunlight.jpg (59.17 KB, 115 downloads)
777 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you, "browning" shall also do the job, since similar german word "braunierung" is also being used for brown finish, as "brunierung" can be both black or brown.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,265,089 SS Bayonets
1,763,112 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,851 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Postwar Military PCs.
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 01:22 AM
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by Vik - 04/23/2024 02:22 PM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Gaspare - 04/23/2024 02:00 AM
S-98 nA. Bayonet
by lakesidetrader - 04/22/2024 01:57 PM
Latest New Posts
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/26/2024 10:05 PM
Rings & Things for the MAX
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 08:30 PM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Ric Ferrari - 04/26/2024 05:52 PM
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,670
Posts329,072
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
12 members (Mikee, atis, C. Wetzel-20609, Simone, Texasuberalles, Stirnpanzer, Documentalist, seany, Dave, Jonesy, ado, den70), 595 guests, and 128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod