Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#321049 08/27/2016 03:58 AM
Skynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
Estand, we see guys commonly list half a dozen or more items, only to come back 2 or 3 days later with reductions, 3 days after that, more reductions.
This has the effect of drowning out almost everything else. I post for sale once in a blue moon, typically my post will be buried to page 2 on the same day by these constant bumps of prolific sellers.

Hows about, you have to wait at least a week, even 5 days, before bumping your thread with a lower price, or some guys will say "looks better in hand" or some such the next day, just to bump it to the top.
Really in bad taste, to me, to bump so often and smacks of desperation if you can't wait a full week ,, Also tells me they start off too high, and widdle their way down 3,4 and 5 times before they make a sale.

Last edited by Skynyrd; 08/27/2016 04:01 AM.

Doug
I am 100% with Skynyrd.

Those non dealers who want to list a single item, list it, and by the next morning it is on page 3.

At the same time it looks like some member's use the stand as their personal for sale site.

I suggest two estands. One for dealers, as determined by the number of postings per week, or some such marker, and a second e stand for collectors only who are selling a piece now and again.

Although Skynyrds idea will also help.

Anybody Else have thoughts on this?

Please let us know here or email me or Vern

Dave

My concern is in the definition of dealer. Some guy doesn't post for months then decides to sell 20 items at once and posts them...is he now a 'dealer'.

I don't know of any real dealer posting for sale items here. And many collectors sell stuff as the upgrade the collection.

In fact, having a lot of items for sale is a good thing for GDC, where posts otherwise are few and far between.

If anyone is concerned about being on page 2, just reply to your add to bring it back to the top.

Let's not create a convoluted process for a rare issue.

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
P
P
i agree. paul

I just did a quick check and we have one member who in the past two months has posted over 200 for sale postings and not one post to any other forum. Who really thinks he is just turning over his collection?

John, how about a little substance over form here. If it walks like duck, talks like a duck it probably is a duck.

In any case, I think everyone who posts a for sale add who goes in every morning and bring theirs back to the top, will be just as big a mess.

If you don't like the idea of separating by numbers of items listed, then how about a couple of sub headings such as daggers, cloth, etc. Something to make it easier for buyer to not have to sort through.

Originally Posted By: Jim W

If you don't like the idea of separating by numbers of items listed, then how about a couple of sub headings such as daggers, cloth, etc. Something to make it easier for buyer to not have to sort through.

Now thats common sense, great idea Jim .

Skynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't want to hamper posting sales, don't particularly want to name names or classify people as "dealers", though doubtless some only post here for sales.
That why I thought of the 1 week rule, which would apply to everyone and, really, shouldn't be much of an inconvenience to anyone, casual sellers or prolific sellers alike.Their posts would still be visible to anyone who wants to scroll, and they wouldn't be constantly burying the posts of casual sellers like me.
Often, when clicking "new posts", these constant bumps are all that turn up and its just a bit annoying.

Might also encourage them to price more realistically, so they don't have to do 5 successive price drops before it sells. Sure, everyone wants top $ and starts out a little high, but unlimited bumps encourages them to start off ridiculously high.

Last edited by Skynyrd; 08/29/2016 07:27 PM.

Doug
No, Jim, I don't think Bob is turning over his collection. I think he sells almost exclusively on GDC and we are thankful for his presence. Wish we had a few more like him !

I understand that you and other occasional sellers might find more prolific seller frustrating as your ad disappears to the next page. And, this is not due to simple 'bumps' but to price reductions until the item finds a buyer

But, I see the possible solutions mentioned above as complicating rather simplifying the selling/buying process. John Z's reasoning above is good. As for sub-categories, that would not solve the problem if your item was in a popular category. I suspect that most folks like to see all items on offer in one place.

Dave

Skynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
A price reduction is a bump, insofar as the post is sent back to the top ,,, Bob is a good guy, like most other high volume sellers he posts in multiple forums. He usually doesn't have many price reductions because he has such a good grasp on the market and pricing that he starts off realistically and often sells without the need for a reduction.

Ok, so I guess I'll just deal with the aggravation of seeing 90% of new posts that come up just a lower and lower price, and maybe just bump more often myself the few times I list something for sale to avoid getting instantly buried. Only problem with that, personally not my style, I would feel juvenile and desperate doing things like that.

Just wondering why opinions were asked for in the first place instead of just saying "No, bad idea, thread locked !"
I don't see anything "convoluted" about having to wait a whole 5 days before bumping a sales post - Especially considering most sellers accept offers as well.
If anything, I think that would make this place more organized and mature, without having to sift through endless sales ads to find actual militaria topics.

Last edited by Skynyrd; 08/30/2016 12:45 AM.

Doug
Members pay for the privilege to post in the for sale section. Having said that WAF has a 3 day bump rule which I think is reasonable.

Collecting Interests - Heer Daggers - Waffenrock - Portraits - http://WW2-Collector.com
G
G
I agree, a 3 day wait is very reasonable.... Sub categories?

Blades,,,Cloth,,,medals/badges etc.,,,Misc. Might clean things up a bit.. I don't mind how it is now if they would just list descriptions a little better.

[quote=Gaspare]I agree, a 3 day wait is very reasonable.... Sub categories?

Blades,,,Cloth,,,medals/badges etc.,,,Misc.

Maybe Vern could help on this good idea ?
other Militaria forums has separate sub forums for different types of stuff, why not here on GDC ?

Skynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
The idea of subforums has been floated around before, if I recall correctly I think it was surmised there is not enough traffic to warrant this.

At the most, I'd like to see:

[All German]
* Edged Weapons
* Medals/Decorations
* Cloth
* Misc

* Non German Militaria

* Flea Market [non military related items]

Floated out that idea too some time back [flea market] with lukewarm results

http://phpstack-500133-1583587.cloudwaysapps.com/ubbthread...3096#Post313096

Doug
I think that three days between bumps would be OK

I've just gone back through 5 pages of the old ads and the majority of bumps are 3 days or more ... except to announce the item is sold. The biggest exception is multiple item offerings where one are two are sold. Have a look for yourself, but to me this is not a problem that warrants a new rule.(??)

Doug is right about multiple forums having been discussed. Volume is low and some guys preferred to see all on one page.

R
R
I don't think a change is in need I look through when I can and really don't see much problem. But I don't list on here so there may be something that I am missing. But sub cat orgies no I don't want to click ten times to see stuff. Just my two cents worth.

I believe the (real) problem here is that a person is basically listing and also bringing back to the top his own stuff where it is filling up a whole page in the for sale section.
So a person who sells a few items at a time gets totally buried in a day.
Than the (1 or 2 listing) person seems to have no choice if he want his items seen to bring it to the top in a matter of a day..As It is already on the 2nd page..
Yes, payed members can list items for sale BUT there seems to be a problem of mass listings...
I believe a little common sense and courtesy should be used on the amount of listings posted and updated in a day by one person.
Just my opinion and observation.
Regards: James

Last edited by DAMAST; 09/09/2016 06:05 PM.
G
G

- yeah maybe only like 4 new listings in a 48 hr period? or 24 hr period?

Yes fine to list multiple items as long as they are related.. The seller should list his 4 or 5 cloth items for his post. Or his few medals/badges in another instead of the one listing helter skelter with cloth,helmets badges all mixed [?],,,helter skelter! we getting old or what! crazy laugh

Skynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
I agree, if you've got 5 books for sale, would seem reasonable to put them in 1 thread instead of a separate thread for each book.
That way you are more likely to make a bulk sale, and get an auto bump when 1 or more are sold.

But, its basically a free for all here when it comes to sales, and apparently it will remain that way.

Doug
To many listings by 1 person crazy

Create sub categories....... WITH NO BUMP SYSTEM. The date they post their item is the date it stays at.

Let the seller physically change their pricing when needed.

No double postings allowed to bump up the item to get around the No Bump system.

Regards Larry

Historical Stewardship is a Trusted Honor that must be kept!
Skynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
No bump system, never thought of that seems like a good concept. Update your sales ad until your heart is content, reduce pricing daily if you want - But your post won't instantly go back to the top to flood out others, as is the intention of bumps.

Don't know about the technicalities involved though, and I doubt admin would consider it since apparently there is no problem in the 1st place.

Last edited by Skynyrd; 09/10/2016 07:41 PM.

Doug
Looks like it has fallen on deaf ears. I could also (sandbag) the for sale forum with many items but why ruin a good thing...
Hey I get it member etc... But as I said there comes a point when out of a page of 25 items 23 are one (dealers) that is not being courteous to the other paying members using this great venue..
Again a obvious observation.. Use a little common sense here..
Regards: James

Last edited by DAMAST; 09/11/2016 03:36 PM.
"No bump system, never thought of that seems like a good concept. Update your sales ad until your heart is content, reduce pricing daily if you want - But your post won't instantly go back to the top to flood out others, as is the intention of bumps."

Not possible, sorry. As in other areas, there is a 60 minute window to modify posts. After that, the only way to adjust prices is to "Reply"

As you say, Jim, a little common sense helps.

The 60 min window is already set and also the bump system is unavoidable .....yet the Sub categories are still an option which will help the shopper navigate directly to what they are looking for instead of a flood of postings mixed altogether......just a thought

Regards Larry

dstore.jpg (113.18 KB, 87 downloads)

Larry there not interested in changing there ways on here, its a waste of anybodys energy trying to help with sensible ideas frown

Skynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Dave
"No bump system, never thought of that seems like a good concept. Update your sales ad until your heart is content, reduce pricing daily if you want - But your post won't instantly go back to the top to flood out others, as is the intention of bumps."

Not possible, sorry. As in other areas, there is a 60 minute window to modify posts. After that, the only way to adjust prices is to "Reply"

As you say, Jim, a little common sense helps.

Out of curiosity, when you say "not possible" do you mean forum software or whatever always bumps a replied to/edited post to the top and there is no way to stop/change this if you wanted to ?
I'm sure the editing window could be changed/eliminated, I don't have an issue with that. Some forums you can edit your post months later, others 15 minutes.

Last edited by Skynyrd; 09/11/2016 07:30 PM.

Doug
Originally Posted By: Mac 66
Larry there not interested in changing there ways on here, its a waste of anybodys energy trying to help with sensible ideas frown

Just a thought smile ........but do have an interest on those " cheezits" in the yellow basket wink

Doug,

If you "edit" a post, it stays where it is. If you make "reply", that entire topic or thread moves to the top. No way to change that in the software. The software of all on-line forums is built around a question being posed (or an item shown)and the answer/comments appearing in order above the original post.

Dave

P
P
Looked at for sale forum and 1 member! Doug has 14 items in a row blocking the sun!

Some one could list 2,000 50cent patches seperate but seems
crazy! Just a tad rude!!!!

Not sure why this is so hard! Combine some into 3 ads and give others a chance!

PVON

Paul,

If you cast your mind back to early last year, you yourself posted more ads per month than Doug ever has.blush Maybe even more than Bob Grant. You had 17 items finishing on May 11 & 12.

Anyway, good to see you again as you have not posted in almost a year. Hope you can get back to selling soon.

Yes, Doug has been busy putting out lots of nice things to temp GDC collectors just as you did not too long ago. Most of the small stuff IS grouped and he leaves a decent interval before price changes except if something is sold. I hope we can attract more sellers like Doug and Bob.

For a yearly fee, a member can post as much or as little as he likes for sale. No limit.

Dave

Skynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
Got temp flabbergasted, as my name is Doug too and I'd be shocked if I average more than 2 or 3 sales ads per month.

For the record, I as the OP never proposed any sort of selling limit for paying members, only some kind of order so that prolific sellers don't drown out guys like me with their sales/updates/bump/sold floods as a matter of course. A paying member is a paying member, regardless if that member posts 1 sales ad a month or 10 a day.
May be desirable from admin standpoint just for sheer posting volume in a low post forum like this, but it is discouraging to me and others who see our occasional ads on page 2 within hours as a matter of routine.

It was proposed that a little common sense will go a long ways ,,, Uh yeah, we'll see how that works out so long as it is basically a selling free for all dominated by a few. But I accept, nothing will be done so might as well lock down the thread so no one else uselessly grumbles or proposes any kind of order.

Doug
G
G
yes items in the same 'classification' should be listed together,,just common sense.. Posting too many adverts?? come on guys if its something you've been wanting,,, whistle

anyway,,I believe,, keep the items alike together,,and if you got it and want to sell,,,just post it and don't complain..
IF you get drowned out to the 2nd page,,,give yourself a bump.. tired sleep

wink

R
RFI Offline
R
In Doug's case, he collected for years some very nice items. Now his collection is going to pay for kids education, I will be in the same shoes. It is only temporary, nice stuff too!
Bob is a part time dealer for fun and not constantly listing items.
Bob

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,621 SS Bayonets
1,760,343 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,795 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
Luftwaffe Swords
by Luftbud - 03/29/2024 09:21 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Luftbud - 03/29/2024 09:13 AM
Personalized reproduction honor ring source?
by Evgeniy - 03/29/2024 09:02 AM
F Dula with a twist
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 03/28/2024 09:29 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/28/2024 06:18 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,714
Members7,502
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
12 members (Luftbud, Stephen, Browning1900, Evgeniy, RookieSA, Gerrit1963, Rainer S, Documentalist, Ilya, Ringo69, AntonGrabbe, atis), 600 guests, and 142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod