Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
OP Offline
W
Hi im new here,
and i was looking at buying an SS dagger. I've researched quite a bit about third reich daggers. But never heard of a SS dagger made from HUGO SERVATIUS SOLINGEN. I know there Rare SA daggers. But never heard of them making any SS daggers. The online store is based out of British Columbia Canada and heres a link to the dagger.

http://ww2germanmilitaria.com/gallery/edged_weapons/D-EW-D-55/D-EW-D-55.asp?ref=D-EW-D-55

if anyone could help that would be fantastic!
cheers

You are absolutely right about the dagger, it's all wrong, if you are from Canada and looking for a ss dagger you should visit lakesidetrader.com Paul will help you out to get what you need.

Good luck.

Emil

W
OP Offline
W
Thanks emil!
Ive been looking at lakesidetraders.com
And have talked to paul.
Hes a good guy. Its just he has some SS daggers out of my price range right now. Maybe ill wait abit
Cheers and thanks for your help

In this hobby, like in many things in life, you get what you pay for. And, unless you are very knowledgeable and a risk taker, a 'deal' on a pricey dagger may well become a costly lesson.

When you buy from a guy like Paul, you are not only paying market price for a collectible, you are also paying for his expertise and his personal backing of the authenticity of the item.

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
W
OP Offline
W
thanks john,
this website ive found http://ww2germanmilitaria.com
i found quite a few questionable items now. im surprised hes still in business. seen some third reich utensils that are for sure fakes.
the first reason i tried them before "his skeetchy merchandise ive seen now" was there was no tax on his items. And his items are still not cheap and he gives you a period you can check your item out and return if not happy policy. my issue with Paul is he charges 13% tax on all ontario items. so on a $3500 USD dagger is now $3955. so an extra $455 dollars. I know its suppose to be taxed. haha but i just like a trade style deal without the "mafia of canada" involved taking 13 percent! lol

thanks again everybody
cheers

waffen:

Any dealer in Canada has to charge you the full freight of taxes.. it is the law and helps pay for the many services that we so take for granted.

If you do a private deal, then no taxes are usually involved. And, technically speaking, if you buy from outside of Canada, you are supposed to declare the value paid and pay duties and the appropriate (in your case 5% gst and 8% Ontario pst) taxes as well.

Paul and other Canadian dealers, if they do not want to break any laws, have to charge the taxes. They do not keep them, but pass them on to your friends Wynn and Trudeau.

But, you know all that and a 13% markup is a pain to pay.

John

Very true JohnZ and paying a 13% tax in Canadian dollars seems reasonable to me, but what I have always found hard to swallow is that we pay that 13% Canadian tax in US dollars. Though I've never really understood why I have to pay in US dollars for something that I buy here in Canada, (what is preventing Canadian dealers from doing the conversion and charging Canadian collectors in Canadian dollars?) but to then pay the 13% Canadian tax in US dollars, really just doesn't seem right. The Canadian government doesn't charge me tax in US dollars on anything that I am aware of ... so why do Canadian dealers?

Last edited by bushido; 05/19/2016 04:40 AM.

GDC Gold Badge #0204

"Even if such objects cannot change the soul of man, at least they give him an identity." - Heinrich Himmler
W
OP Offline
W
exactly bushido,
Canadian currency as we all know is horrible right now. So to pay on top of the USD product, a 13% USD tax is too much i think. Just my personal opinion. Thats why i wont buy there. I like him and i know he knows a lot about the business. But its too expensive i find for us Canadians right now. unless you have money to burn. And for me personally i don't. its an expensive hobby. thats why im looking at buying from the forum or a personal buy of an SS dagger as of right now.

The pricing in US$ seems to be the norm for this hobby. If Paul changed his pricing to reflect C$, all his prices would seem to be 30% higher based on the exchange rate. And, you would still pay the 13% on this higher amount. The 13% tax is levied on the C$ value of the purchase.

And, this would be very confusing and hard to make comparisons with others selling similar items.

Since most of the business that Canadian dealers do is with US customers, not having the prices in US$ would only hurt the business.

Of course, you can buy from forums or directly from collectors or from foreign dealers and auction sites, most of whom will offer limited or no return opportunities, and lie to Revenue Canada when you import your item to save the gst and sales tax, but then you have the risk of import and the risk of losing all your money.

In every country residents must pay the taxes leveled by the local and federal governments. All businesses located in these jurisdictions must comply. Foreign transactions may be able to avoid these taxes for now, and personal transactions do as well. But, as well documented government attempts to get at the underground economy such as internet transactions show, sooner or later many of these avenues will be shut down.

I may be pontificating here, but my point is that you should buy the item, not the price... in Canada, you may pay taxes from 5% (Yeah, Alberta) to 15% (Boo, NB, Nfld, NS), but you will pay these taxes on most of your purchases in these provinces. And, if I buy an item for $3,000 (US) and have to pay $3,390 (US), it may still very well be a deal.

John

Moderated by  Dave 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,264,074 SS Bayonets
1,762,253 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,215 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Latest New Posts
NSKK Dolch fur Führer, Eickhorn
by sellick8302@rogers.com - 04/20/2024 06:37 AM
3rd reich cards/photos
by Dean Perdue - 04/20/2024 03:14 AM
Imperial Graphic Arts ...
by Dean Perdue - 04/20/2024 02:44 AM
Frog question.
by Vern - 04/20/2024 12:27 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,668
Posts329,044
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
6 members (sellick8302@rogers.com, Mikee, Matarese, Skyline Drive, gerdhagedorn, ollar), 901 guests, and 142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod