Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
Hi all, maybe some of you are in a similar situation:
Being located in Iceland, there is ONE BIG problem with buying rings from abroad and importing them: the Icelandic customs.

ANY parcel sent coming from ANY sort of business WILL be grabbed by those low down dirty rotten thieves, it really gets me going!

Taxes applied to the price AND to shipping-cost, PLUS customs duty and processing-fee will rack up the price to about 50-75% of the original or more in some cases I shouldn't wonder.

Buying from a private collector, you can get by this by them sending the letter in a private fashion, maybe adding a sort of 'Happy Birthday', or 'Merry Christmas' to it.

But from eBay for instance? Forget it. It will be grabbed, it will be delayed by up to a week AND then they might want you to actually DRIVE there to pick it up, AND then they want money from you!! For WHAT, I ask?!??!! I should charge them...

It really upsets me, as you probably can tell. (Sorry for the rant!)

But OK, from here on in I'm thinking of having any 'official' parcels sent to my brother in Austria, then he can send it to me in a private envelope (as a registered letter, though,which is quite safe I think) That'll be my eBay-strategy in the future, for example.

But maybe some here have similar experiences and might have tips/tricks of the trade to share on how to avoid this VERY annoying extra expense.

My Saloniki ring was grabbed by them, for example. It arrived today, and I shall not see it until late next week is my guess.

Let's see how much extra it will cost all together, I will update you on that here.
Sure, perhaps it is not so very much money at stake here, but it's the principle that has me incensed, and apart from that: money isn't the only thing invested into such a transaction, as I'm sure all collectors here know very well.

OK over and out for now, (thanks for 'listening' :-) )
Mark

M
M
Don't read the story on the community forum of waf about the lost 7000 euro knights cross. U will get sick. It's tough man- buy from those u know and old established collections- maybe also only other northern places like Denmark and Scandinavia / I think maybe NL is ok too/ thrives look for abnormal shipping locations and prey on people for sure

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: Byzanti
Don't read the story on the community forum of waf about the lost 7000 euro knights cross. U will get sick. It's tough man- buy from those u know and old established collections- maybe also only other northern places like Denmark and Scandinavia / I think maybe NL is ok too/ thrives look for abnormal shipping locations and prey on people for sure

HAHAHA, WOW man, well I better don't!! (Read that story...)
Yeah good point, and I'll ALWAYS make sure to have them send in a private/personal looking brown envelope with some personal message. If you register for tracking I think you're quite safe there... those thieves!! Protect the land from illegal drug trafficking? Arms trafficking? Even protect the economy from cheap imports undermining local businesses? OH, NO!!
THEY sit there and just WAIT for you to buy ANYTHING abroad, HAHAHAHAHA!
Thanks for the tips,
Mark

M
M
hi mark
i just seen your post its discusting to hear this i have been sending many parcels overseas and the only way i ship overseas is express over nite it cost 50-60 u.s.d.but i can track it right to your cusoms office now let them get thier sorry ******** out of that one most overseas people dont want to pay 50-60 postal fees but hey thats not my problem does this hurt our hobby yes it does but i have nothing to do with thier customs office hope this helps god bless andy militarynut

G
Online Content
G
always risky buying/selling out of your own country.

Last ring I got from Germany took a month to get!! Before that a ring from a member here never even made it to me!

It's a gamble... Things like extra charges from customs,,there are ways of listing the item where you won't pay any duty. Might be different country to country..

Members,,maybe you all can relate how you've been getting all these rings we see. How to you get them listed on the customs declarations etc. etc.

C
chris12559
Unregistered
chris12559
Unregistered
C
When I purchase a ring, I always list the item as a gift and theater prop or movie prop. Or a a token momento. If it's a high value item like if I were to sell one of my tk I will take solder wire or something like that and make a "key chain" out of it so when xray'd it looks like a simple cheap Chinese piece of junk key chain. Keep the value low and have it mailed not in a tiny box that can easily be pocketed, but a good sized medium box that's hard to miss. Knock wood, I'm batting 100% so far.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: Militarynut
hi mark
i just seen your post its discusting to hear this i have been sending many parcels overseas and the only way i ship overseas is express over nite it cost 50-60 u.s.d.but i can track it right to your cusoms office now let them get thier sorry ******** out of that one most overseas people dont want to pay 50-60 postal fees but hey thats not my problem does this hurt our hobby yes it does but i have nothing to do with thier customs office hope this helps god bless andy militarynut

Hi Andy, not sure I understand, exactly. I like the overnight thing, and 50 bucks extra for safe and fast shipping, well,that can be discussed, but the thing is to send it so they can't get their dirty thieving hands on it...
Chris2559 has some pretty good ideas so far!
I also like the one where I have it sent to my brother.
And here is another idea: one could transfer say 5 euro around the time of sale, then when they ask for a bill say there isn't one, but show a screenshot of the 5 euro transfer as proof of payment. Should work..?

Last edited by Mark4321; 01/09/2016 04:17 PM.
M
OP Offline
M
UPDATE
OK so the ring has arrived. 9 days delay and 70% more expensive, courtesy of the Icelandic customs.
How come? Because of a rather inflexible seller who would not understand that you cannot put the name of a business on the letter.

And to write 'Ring' on the letter simply invites thieves, customs included.
Mark

Saloniki Ring Gone Home.jpg (52.76 KB, 95 downloads)
Evidence 1.jpg (71.66 KB, 95 downloads)
Evidence 2.jpg (61.59 KB, 95 downloads)
How it can be 70% expensive if total value was declared as 3 EUR?

C
chris12559
Unregistered
chris12559
Unregistered
C
2.10€ in tax? Lol

Will have two brothers for Your ring ;-)

4.jpg (35.13 KB, 87 downloads)
5.jpg (35.89 KB, 87 downloads)
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: Triggerself
How it can be 70% expensive if total value was declared as 3 EUR?

Ah OK: they will open and ask for the bill. From eBay in this case. Then they start counting the dollars...

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: chris12559
2.10€ in tax? Lol
They unfortunately charge the taxes, processing fees, customs and VAT from the actual price, which you have to show them...unless the seller is willing to provide a fake -much lower- bill, there's nothing doing. And an official seller like this MUST have a bill, they reason and they're right. These thieves have very much experience thieving...

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: Gottlieb
Will have two brothers for Your ring ;-)
Beauties! Specially the second I like lot..Piotr, is that you? :-)
Mark

Sure, who else ?

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: Gottlieb
Sure, who else ?
:-)

Moderated by  Stephen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,264,522 SS Bayonets
1,762,524 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,545 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by Vik - 04/23/2024 02:22 PM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Gaspare - 04/23/2024 02:00 AM
S-98 nA. Bayonet
by lakesidetrader - 04/22/2024 01:57 PM
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Latest New Posts
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by Vik - 04/23/2024 02:28 PM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by benten - 04/23/2024 12:49 PM
HR on Ratisbons auction
by Stephen - 04/23/2024 10:02 AM
SS honor ring. 1936.
by Sarcasmos - 04/23/2024 01:29 AM
S-98 nA. Bayonet
by lakesidetrader - 04/22/2024 01:57 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,668
Posts329,047
Members7,518
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
13 members (seany, Documentalist, Dave, Pat from France, Nietzsche, dr73, Honestmike, Stephen, atis, Texasuberalles, ed773, Gaspare, Don Scowen), 490 guests, and 74 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod