Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#314076 12/22/2015 04:42 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Hi everybody, allow me to introduce myself here: Mark from Germany, living in Iceland.
I just bought my first TK ring from a guy -digger- in Latvia, and posted some close up pics on another forum. There I got negative feedback, it is a suspected cast fake!

[Linked Image from warrelics.eu]
[img]http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...ull-ring-history-background-img_1988.jpg[/img]

I would very much appreciate your professional verdict, especially from people like Gaspare and Odal.

Thank you so much, and I enjoy browsing and learning here.

Mark

For 100 % sure a cast one.
No doubts mad

�Eine gewaltt�tige, herrische, unerschrockene, grausame Jugend will ich. Jugend muss das alles sein. Schmerzen muss sie ertragen. Es darf nichts Schwaches und Z�rtliches an ihr sein. Das freie, herrliche Raubtier muss wieder
aus ihren Augen blitzen."
M
OP Offline
M
OK thanks for the feedback, Odal: much appreciated, though disappointing news! frown
A very unusual fake then, though? Never before seen? Would you think it's old, or what?
Mark

M
OP Offline
M
One more straw, LOL! :-)
COULD it be one of those very few rare cast rings actually made in Germany towards the end of the war? :-)

cast without doubt, does not have a chance.

There are less original rings than you think, much less...

www.totenkopfrings.com
M
M
Im curious about these "rare late war cast rings" (not this one I agree it is not an original ring) that mark is asking about- is there a consensus on this?

G
G
I agree,, cast... Nice looking ring. Different band than what is normally seen.
It has what looks like an 'adjustable' band. Old,,but not WW2 old..

Cast during WW2? Well a custom made piece might have a custom bit on it then all soldered up. Usually late war you'll see a change in material. During the war it went ,,silver , then later brass with the silver wash,,then late war you'll start to see some zinc examples.

M
OP Offline
M
Ah OK, thanks a lot for the reply Gaspare.
So it is for certain , then, that this is a fake, ie NOT a WWII period piece. Shame. Yes, because I also think it's nice, bu I DO want a real one! :-)
Thanks again,
Mark

M
OP Offline
M
Gaspare, while I do not doubt everybody's verdict here that the ring is cast, there ARE some questions about this ring:
it seems very old, and nobody seems to ever have seen a piece quite like it. So it was probably not a mass production? Maybe a single piece? Or what?

It would be a funny thing, if it would turn out that, yes, it's cast, and yes, it's not WWII, BUT it's so rare that it's much more valuable than an authentic piece, LOL! :-D

I know I know, wishful thinking, perhaps... But it IS a rare fake then, Or maybe not really a 'Fake' per se, but more of a rare post war ring..?

Any suggestions? :-) I AM planning on returning it, after all I wanted a WWII ring, and that seems out of the question in this case.

Thanks everybody,
Mark

M
M
hi mark
sorry to hear the sad / bad news about your skull ring yes its a cast copy not rare at all yes not even close to ww2 . these rings are made mostly in eastern block countrys like where you bought it from and most of these wise guys say thanks for your purchase no refunds . i hope you get a decent person to refund your hard earned money they keep cranking them out to bad you didnt check with a few of us willing to help guys here on our ring forum . i have been collecting third reich rings for over forty years along with ss himmler honor rings try not to beat yourself in to thinking yes its real period ring its not wear it to remind yourself just like all of us here that had been taken till we learned the hard way only buy from a honest dealer/collector who has a good reputation if you would like to look me up i am under militarynut.com you can ask what rings i have for sale thanks again merry christmas n happy safe new year andy militarynut

I believe it is brand new, poorly cast and artificially aged. It does not have single wear sign. Look carefully on scratches inside - they are not natural wear.

There are less original rings than you think, much less...

www.totenkopfrings.com
G
G
Mark.. It is a cool looking thing. Even a cool wearer. But that's all..

Our forum here is small and out of the way but our membership as far as rings is at the top of any list anywhere in the world!
We have a great international membership. Guys like Andy who has collected and interested in rings for over 40 years! And Hapur a collector and manufacturer of military theme rings!
Just about every member here is a experienced collector with some ONLY collecting rings! Do we make mistakes? sure we do all the time. We weren't there when these things were made. But when grouped up on a forum like this we do pretty good. ALL the points made about your ring from the members seem spot on..For me as I mentioned just seeing that non joined band , adjustable, lets it out of being a mens military German ring.

Now,,IF you didn't pay a lot it does have value. Not so sure about it being brand new. I think its old,,but not WW2 old. My thought is that it is a 'Mens ring', or a 'Premium ring'. These rings were usually a skull from one pattern and joined with a band from another pattern to produce a cool looking thing as I mentioned before. They were small runs of production in case they didn't sell well,,and many didn't. You cam sometimes catch line drawings of the ring in Popular Mechanics,,or Pop. Science or even old Hot Rod mags! IF you painf less than $100. for it,,me? I'd keep it..

Not your ring in the ad,,but just to give you an idea..

289.jpg (143.84 KB, 122 downloads)
M
OP Offline
M
OK wow cool, thanks for that reply Gaspare: I didn't see that till now, I thought you get email notifications for new answers?
Awesome, and thanks a lot, everybody! :-)
Mark

Moderated by  Stephen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,263,939 SS Bayonets
1,762,184 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,167 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Latest New Posts
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 04/19/2024 01:46 PM
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
HR on Ratisbons auction
by Stephen - 04/19/2024 06:59 AM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/18/2024 08:33 PM
Study and learning materials
by Stephen - 04/18/2024 07:41 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,668
Posts329,036
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
8 members (C. Wetzel-20609, polop, Dave, ed773, Vern, benten, Documentalist, Mikee), 883 guests, and 101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod