Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#308757 06/08/2015 08:30 PM
OP Offline

Hey guys all's been rather quite here for the past while. I want to share with you a dagger recently obtained from the Vet’s family.
The 1st thing that struck me about this is that it weighs a ton. As soon a I took it out of the box I knew something was odd. Examining the scabbard I fin that it’s made of brass. The blade is plated with a hole in the tang very indicative of Klaas. The hilt fittings may be as well. Any one else see one like this before?
As always your feedback is welcome!

Hello lakesidetrader, here in the A N L section I think the frequence is still satisfying grin.

I have already heard several times of a full brass variant of the second luft but up to now have not seen one.
Interesting to see and as it is directly from a vets family it is highly possible that it is a period item.
As there are other kind of daggers in brass nearly unknown (eg. see the HÖLLER forest dagger in the Houston section) it seems that they had a very very short period of production, mainly due to the valuable material (brass) and the heavy weight which in no way has been comfortable for the wearer.
Nice find in wonderful condition, thank you for showing, regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
R
RFI Offline
R
I am pretty sure I have seen a brass scabbard before, I don't think I have seen the hilt fittings made of brass.
Best Wishes,
Bob

RFI #308774 06/09/2015 11:23 PM
Paul nice dagger I like it. Some of the earliest 2nd lufts will have tapered tangs I wonder does this one? Either way would be fine IMO just curious.

Collecting Interests - Heer Daggers - Waffenrock - Portraits - http://WW2-Collector.com
Very interesting Paul! Strange thing is that you would think a brass based Luft would be initial production but these fittings don't appear to be early types but mid to late generics with no hand work at all? Have you put a magnet on the whole scabbard? Some earlier ones had a brass or tombak tip only. Plated blade does point to earlier production.. Be neat to hear Tom's question answered on the tang type. (wouldn't be conclusive though if non tapered as most very early ones are not tapered) Hilt fittings are brass too? Cool piece.. interested to hear more! Kevin.

It's ALL in the DETAILS!!.......
OP Offline
The tang is not tapered but is plated.
The whole scabbard is nonmagnetic.
Now I've collected Klaas for years and one thing I do know is that they did lots of odd things and experimented plenty.
I really like seeing odd balls it what makes collecting fun!~
Good to hear from you guys, was feeling a bit lonely 'round here as of late... grin

I had a second luft where the fittings appeared to be Alpaca. As I understand it, Alpaca is a type of brass. Could that be what we are talking about here.

Originally Posted By: Jim W
Alpaca is a type of brass.

Hello Jim_W, ALPAKA is nickle silver. Perhaps you mean TOMBAK which is a kind of brass with higher parts of copper.But personally I doubt both materials (Alpaka, Tombak) concerning this dagger.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
Hi Wotan, I am aware of the difference. I have Tombak daggers from Denmark. I am talking Alpaca which many people, and the internet believe is a form of brass. I am aware we are talking German Silver, nickel silver, which I believe respond exactly like brass.

"Nickel silver, German silver,[1] Argentan,[1] new silver,[1] nickel brass,[2] albata,[3] alpacca,[4] or electrum[5] is a copper alloy with nickel and often zinc. The usual formulation is 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc."

It was just a thought. has anyone polished any part of one of these crossguards?

Kevin
Good Id on the fittings I should have looked closer as the back of that generic crossguard it’s quite noticeable and chances of a tapered tang coupled with these fittings would be slim to none. I tend to spend all my time looking at the pretty army dagger configurations although the 2nd model luft drew me into the hobby as my first dagger beautiful design it is. And you’re right when you see an early luft with hand work they certainly separate themselves from the normal dagger they are very special pieces like the early slant army daggers.

Originally Posted By: heers68
Very interesting Paul! Strange thing is that you would think a brass based Luft would be initial production but these fittings don't appear to be early types but mid to late generics with no hand work at all? Have you put a magnet on the whole scabbard? Some earlier ones had a brass or tombak tip only. Plated blade does point to earlier production.. Be neat to hear Tom's question answered on the tang type. (wouldn't be conclusive though if non tapered as most very early ones are not tapered) Hilt fittings are brass too? Cool piece.. interested to hear more! Kevin.

Collecting Interests - Heer Daggers - Waffenrock - Portraits - http://WW2-Collector.com
OP Offline
Whole thing is non magnetic.

Hi Paul,
I had one of these when I first started out with daggers.
It was a second Luft but not maker marked but it looked just liked yours.
I remember the crossguard and pommel were heavy and had a brass/copper tint to them.
I remember taking it to a Military Fair here in the UK and showed it to the late Harvey Riley who stated as soon as he felt the weight that it was post war.
I'm not so sure now but looks like it's one of those odd ones we do not see very often.
Best wishes,
Ian

Last edited by Dagger Screws; 06/23/2015 08:10 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,264,060 SS Bayonets
1,762,245 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,207 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Latest New Posts
3rd reich cards/photos
by Dean Perdue - 04/20/2024 03:14 AM
Imperial Graphic Arts ...
by Dean Perdue - 04/20/2024 02:44 AM
Frog question.
by Vern - 04/20/2024 12:27 AM
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,668
Posts329,043
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
10 members (gerdhagedorn, ollar, Mikee, polop, Evgeniy, Jonesy, The_Collector, stingray, bushido, Dean Perdue), 978 guests, and 115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod