Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
pvon Offline OP
OP Offline
P
As with many topics I try and start for collectors and of course myself!

I try and pick something that is of possible interest to me
and something I can learn from!

I like when collectors show and talk and interact!

I could just look at a gallery or read a book for info but
seems like a boring waste of time, if you can't share or learn from others!

Thats why with collector and Dealer such as Military Nut {Andy}
I figure why not gather his thoughts and experience on topics if possible!

I know nothing about Tsuba's except they go on a sword! shocked

But the beauty of some make me curious!

I have gathered some pics from a show or maybe for sale or even collections shown!

Maybe I can glean some information from a topic like this!

My thoughts!

Why so many loose ones around?
Time periods?
Made of? Iron,etc!
Signed? Topics such as birds,dragons,
Who collects them?
Style? Period! Purpose!
Value!

Books on topic!

And anything else collectors can think of!

Hope BobI,Andy.Geoff, and many others see this and give thoughts!

PVON

tusuba2.jpg (115.97 KB, 116 downloads)
tsuba_display2.jpg (72.82 KB, 115 downloads)
stand2.jpg (90.53 KB, 118 downloads)
1408312819523sale2.jpg (100.64 KB, 116 downloads)
1408312819477sale.jpg (99.44 KB, 115 downloads)
P
pvon Offline OP
OP Offline
P
pic2

IMG_7278frombook1.jpg (106.46 KB, 115 downloads)
stand.jpg (114.73 KB, 114 downloads)
imagesanfranshow.jpg (110.19 KB, 115 downloads)
tsuba.jpg (102 KB, 115 downloads)
m0vpnEo0dly37SUDAg3KrQA.jpg (58.89 KB, 114 downloads)
mvpB5wT-2faGIFfh1Mjdcpw.jpg (84.01 KB, 115 downloads)
mT2AOSn6bH3GBJF_egHuY3g.jpg (27.11 KB, 114 downloads)
mTv-5TmNM8pJnLnsPN2zMPg.jpg (102.79 KB, 114 downloads)
P
pvon Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Collecting Japanese items!

Well for many of us its stuff brought back from the war by fathers,Uncles,etc!

Many of us are older now{Andy} grin

To be honest, I would never have quessed how far the hobby has gone since getting my first item!

How many have gone to Japan? Speak or read?

I remember Bill Rannow telling me how he would go! WOW!!!!

Bet the shows or auctions in Japan must be something!

PVON

As many of us have chased a lead on items from phone calls or such I would like to add that not all turn out as expected!

Here is a 2 hr chase that didn't turn up the lost swords of Japan! shocked

20140507_114444.jpg (89.42 KB, 112 downloads)
Last edited by pvon; 08/18/2014 03:59 PM.
M
M
hi paul
very nice pictures of tsubas for sale these pictures show some better quality tsubas especially the ones that show raised flowers/sea shells / fish/etc . also open iron work tsubas called i believe pin wheel tsubas the workmanship is ausum i see a few in these pictures that i just bought with the sword collection i was hopeing to show all these to bill branow at last years tokani show in tampa but he wasnt there i will catch him at kentucky show who knows . i see the last picture with eye appealing japanese style swords boy are they good lookers hell yes but no national treasures ok guys god bless andy militarynut

I've been to Japan many times and you do NOT see real swords there on display.

There are no doubt quite a few in private hands that are shown to other owners/collectors/authors etc, but not on public display that I ever saw. They are still made and sold but it pretty tightly controlled ... or was 15 years ago. I do not think you can import or export one without a permit.

I've also been to many a "Temple Sale" which are mixed sales with everything from used goods to quality antiques. There are held on temple grounds as these are on of the few open spaces available. You see almost nothing military. I carries a couple of pages with pictures of helmets, daggers and got few responses. I am sure they are bought and sold, but not at public venues.

M
M
hi dave
members yes your right dave you need a permit still stands today exporting swords like i mentioned before to have a sword hand made for you today would cost you about 20,000 u.s.d.then you have the red tape to get it back to america good luck . dont know if many people know this if some one ships a ww2 gendai seki arsenal marked or showa marked the japanese customs take it with you to a room and advise you that this sword is japans property as marked and that japan owns this sword then they snap the blade in half i think they still do this 2014 if some one knows different please let mew know . i all so believe just like germany when looking for third reich items you have to know where to go but then how do you get it out of thier country good luck . plenty of third reich items here in america and japanese swords great country i think ill stay best andy militarynut

Andy,

I asked about that several times of guys I had worked with for years and the reasons are complex.

Many, many swords were confiscated or bought by GIs and taken to America. They want to stop the loss of culturally important items.

Also, the sword is considered by many outsiders to be a major symbol of Japanese behavior 1900-1945 so they are seldom allowed to be displayed.

On the other hand, Samurai dramas with much sword fighting are a staple of Japanese TV.

M
M
hi dave
in 1989 i was retarded opps i mean retired we were selling our house in new york the real estate guy was old enough to be in ww2 he spoted my samouri resting there he said he was a supply sgt. in japan late 1945 early 1946 he was assigned to a base in osaka japan and was ordered to releve a sgt. who was to go home. the capt there said go down stairs and get a rickshaw and have him take you to the end of town and the sgt. there will tell you what your assignment is he got there it was very desolite large fenced compound on the left side was about he said atleast 5-6 thousand samouri swords right sides rifles/ pistols cannons/ explosives etc was in back of fence on the table was stacks of wooden pieces wood tags and General Douglas Mac Arthurs orders dont take anything from the japanese people with out putting thier name on tags. mama son papa son came early in morning to bring these items matter fact when japanese surrendered on the big mo General Mac Arthur was presented thier swords his remarks to them give them to my soldiers he refused to take any thing from them i was lucky to visit the big mo a few years ago in pearl harbor the memorial there wasnt a dry eye . found out that elvis presley donated a large sum of money to build that memorial god bless elvis the king ok guys good night andy militarynut

P
pvon Offline OP
OP Offline
P
thanks to all for adding to the thread!

Many of tsubas shown have a artistic beauty!

Little story of when I was very young! My quess 12 or 14 and a kid in the neighborhood knew I was liking ww2 stuff!

I was at his house and saw pics on the wall of his dad who was
one of General MacArthurs 2 pilots! This he told me!

So one day he carried 2 Beautiful Japanese swords to my house
and showed me them!

At that time a kid carring 2 swords down the street was not a big deal! shocked

He said his father told him the general took him to a huge area
with tables full of swords and he was allowed to take 2 items!

Thats the story I remember from 45 yrs ago!

Now of course I knew nothing at that age and I always wondered
what happened to them!

PVON

Last edited by pvon; 08/22/2014 02:38 PM.
M
M
hi paul
like i said before i was six years old in 1945 when the soldiers were returning home from europe n south pacfic bringing home plenty of souvineers for us little kids in bklyn new york . my friend was given a japanese pill box machine gun by his uncle we played with that down in the abanden field cops asked where in hell did you kids get this machine gun we told the police his uncle gave it to him there responce was ok dont get hurt kids have fun playing war can you just amagine what would happen in todays world the law would throw the book at six year olds and cost 10,000 for lawyers i remember i was given several great tachi mounted swords i stashed them in my closet that was the start of collecting for me then i traded them off for two mint number one superman comic books i believe dated 1938 these number one superman comics are worth mega bucks much more then those japanese swords i had ok paul you are still that little kid in ohio i was in new york who knew god bless all andy militarynut

P
pvon Offline OP
OP Offline
P
andy

Yes those were the days when things like that seemed normal!

Playing war was serious business!

We wore US ammo belt,helmet and drank water from that canteen! shocked

Or we pulled out the Japanese pith helmets,grenade belt etc!

Those were the days!

Little boys played war, cowboys and indians etc!

Cap guns blasting! grin

I wouldn't trade those days for anything!!!!!!

I used to see Ed Sunday at the flea markets when he was a kid
and before I could drive!

A very dear friend of mine used to work at movie theater watching parking lot and me and my other long time friend would ride our bikes up and trade military!

PVON

PVON

Last edited by pvon; 08/23/2014 12:20 AM.
M
M
hey paul
you seen ed sunday selling in the fleas holly molly mr ed is as old as me and thats old he probly had s/a daggers for 25.00 at that time. i dont know about you but we used to get four guys and myself go to the movies one guy would pay and the outhers would wait out side the side doors till one guy opened door all then ran and scatered usher had a tough time catching us we would laugh clean fun. we seen flash gorden and of course emperor ming superman and two serial cartoons all for 25 cents and if you wanted we could stay till 10pm when the movies got out and dont forget mothers free dish or you got a wooping went to bed with nothing to eat bad boys thanks dad next day back playing war games in the streets i think all the big citys were klike this kids had fun till they were called in by mom or dad i loved my parents in my family we had no money but we had love and family thanks guys for these fond memories andy militarynut

T
T
About 15 years ago I became friends with a fellow through a business meeting. After hearing about my interest in military firearms, he showed me the Japanese sword his father had brought home from WWII. This fellow and his father before him and used it for cutting brush on their property. Over the years the poor thing had been sharpened on a grinder and stored in a damp out building. frown

Last edited by timboo; 08/27/2014 02:35 PM.
M
M
hi timboo
yes over the years i have seen so many japanese swords butchered to death over the years people put them on the grinder /sharpner and just abuse them its a crime but its thiers to do what ever there silly mind tells them to do and its done thanks for your input story best andy militarynut

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,470 SS Bayonets
1,760,276 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,740 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 03/27/2024 03:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,702
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
7 members (Tanker, AndyRose, Documentalist, Seppi, Nietzsche, benten, Vern), 463 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod