Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#296779 04/20/2014 07:31 PM
OP Online Content
Gentlemen,

I get the impression that in general there is only very limited activity on the various fora (not just here on GDC) of our great hobby.

Also the fairs and shows in Europe are attended by less and less collectors lately...

But on the other hand it seems to become very difficult to find fine pieces to add to the collection. I am not only talking about HJ-knifes, though I have a real hard time finding nice early ones (like shown hereunder) at the moment...

What is your experience?

What do you think?

Best regards,

Herman

A1.JPG (120.6 KB, 363 downloads)

You never have enough HJ-knifes!
S
S
Herman,
It's true, we all know it. The hobby has slowed down. Attendance at the big shows has also.
However, finding good quality items are difficult. It seems the standard run-of-the-mill blades by common makers in so-so condition, are everywhere and are not selling unless bargain priced.
I do find that quality and scarcity still sells if priced within reason. Rare desirable artifacts I hear are still selling rather quickly.
True, it's hard to find minty HJ knives. Try to find a HJ leader dagger without paying Murderer prices. There are hardly any around if fine condition. The new series of super-fakes have not helped.

Contrary to popular belief, the economy is not improving. However, I did find this minty HJ knife a couple of weeks ago.

I think most of them now reside in Belgium
Nice stuff Guys
Newton

OP Online Content
What a wondelful conditioned early Henckels HJ!

Congratulations with this find, Serge!

smile , Newton

Any other thoughts and comments?

Best regards,

Herman

Last edited by Herman V. (aka Herr Mann); 04/21/2014 09:17 AM.

You never have enough HJ-knifes!
It's slow right now,but that's change soon I believe.
And if is easy to find minty HJs,it will be boring hobby I think.
Beautiful pieces guys

Regards
Stingray

What I could observe here is that it is slow concerning low and average condition pieces of all kinds. But rare and best conditioned pieces do change hands in a second and for nearly no price limit.
I am not sure that this goes on or even increases, especially concerning prices. I have the feeling that serious collectors are not willing to pay skyrocket prices even it hey would like to add a special item to thier collection.
Just my opinion and observation.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
G
G
no matter who says what about the hobby/shows..
The big 2 shows in the US have fallen off greatly. Sure there were deals there, but attendance by dealers and collectors are down.

I agree with Wotan fully......

I don't know... I attended the Des Moines/Saint Paul Militaria show and it seemed well attended and I saw money changing hands. Dealers I talked with were happy with sales. The Tulsa gun show was similarly heavily attended and dealers seemed to be selling well. I do agree that very good items in collectable condition are harder to find and expensive. I think that is probably the nature of the collecting scene in the US. I also saw plenty of people at SOS and I sold well there as well as found some nice items to buy.

"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson
R
R
I can't say much about the state of german dagger collecting but I agree with a lot that's been said, I collect mainly german panzer badges and trying to find nice uncommon examples is very difficult and when they do turn up the prices are very high. On the other hand common late war zink examples are everywhere and difficult to sell.

Regards

Rhidian

I think the SOS attendance was very good and might have been better than the past two years, but someone on the staff would have to comment. Sales were slower for me, but the crowd and interest was still there IMO.

MAX CHARTER MEMBER

LIFE MEMBER OVMS
P
P
Had 3 tables for SOS! My buddy got sick with shingles and had to call and ask them to see if Greg could sell them!
That was a few days before show!

Well after not hearing from them after 3 weeks after show
I called and found out they couldn't sell them!

So I have a feeling I got screwed or demand for tables was down big time!

They would't even give a credit! Very surprised they could not
sell 1 table let alone 3!

This for the SOS?

I know a few who couldn't make it! Anybody get money back?

No credit or refund! But I could pay now to have for next yr!

Ya right! Let me send a check! shocked

Very nice HJ knives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PVON

Last edited by pvon; 04/25/2014 12:57 PM.
E
E
Paul...Sorry to hear about the SOS deal. I wondered why you weren't there. I don't remember seeing any empty tables (I think I would have made a mental note).My sales were slower than the year before, but I didn't really bring anything outstanding, mostly common stuff and wasn't expecting a lot.I don't think there were as many overseas buyers as normal but like I said I didn't bring anything really great. I think the walk in traffic was off some, but I think the weather had something to do with that. I tend to agree with everyone else if you have rarer stuff or really nice condition stuff it still sales pretty fast, but common average condition stuff is like trying to sell cancer.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. And remember the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,263,509 SS Bayonets
1,761,992 Teno Insignia Set
1,130,940 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Small pennant question.
by Dutchman - 04/07/2024 08:57 PM
Latest New Posts
Overslept a development???
by Luftbud - 04/16/2024 01:03 AM
Bulgarian Brannik youth knife - real?
by wotan - 04/15/2024 06:46 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 10:17 PM
CLAY TOBACCO PIPES
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/14/2024 06:25 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,667
Posts329,017
Members7,516
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
8 members (Dean Perdue, Herman V. (aka Herr Mann), Don Scowen, Nietzsche, Seppi, Pat from France, Coyote_Kyle, ed773), 433 guests, and 94 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod