Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#288442 10/09/2013 09:41 AM
A
Andjelo Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I have been offered an ultra-rare E. Pack Kriegsmarine dagger, in a bad shape but for a decent price and with what I tend to believe original blade.

I can see, based on Wittman's reference book, some differences like wrong grip wire (should be triple, not like on other manufacturer's daggers),
Also, the carrying bands on the scabbard look like the Holler type, with rather straight edges.

I would like an opinon about this piece from more knowledgeable people, as I really cannot decide myself.
I've read that only the original blades had such trademark etched while post-war ones were with small maker's mark.

When I look at the photos and compare with the reference book I have too many doubts, so I am asking you for a help.

Thanks in advance for your kind reply

Well seems most Pack navy daggers have a wire like this one. Your right the scabbard bands look like Holler. The Packs are numbered so look for those. Do you see any hand work to the crossguard? I don’t even see the blade etch?

Collecting Interests - Heer Daggers - Waffenrock - Portraits - http://WW2-Collector.com
A
Andjelo Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I do not have this dagger in hand, but will ask the seller to send me a photos of possible number stamps.

Also, as blade is in very bad shape, possible remains of etching are not visible.

As I tend to collect all possible manufacturers of KM daggers, Pack is amongst the few almost impossible to find, so I'd be satisfied with this battered example between my other minty pieces.

But, I'd buy only if it's OK, of course.

A
Andjelo Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: WW2-Collector
Well seems most Pack navy daggers have a wire like this one. Your right the scabbard bands look like Holler. The Packs are numbered so look for those. Do you see any hand work to the crossguard? I don’t even see the blade etch?

Btw, shouldn't E. Pack have triple wire? On this one I see only one twisted wire, not triple.

A
Andjelo Offline OP
OP Offline
A
And here are more photos of the blade.
Too pity it's in a such state.

The dagger parts(not the scabbard which was added by the seller as he said) are stamped "11".

It's priced US$ 475, so I'm reconsidering what to do :-(

Last edited by Andjelo; 10/09/2013 08:54 PM.
A
Andjelo Offline OP
OP Offline
A
And here are the stamps one the parts:

S
S
I wouldn't sweat the grip wire. Here is a theory. Tom, could the two smaller wires have been lost to time given the wear this dagger has obviously seen leaving only the main, larger center wire? The winding is in the correct direction.

Sans scabbard, to me it looks ok. Logic doesn't hold for me that someone would deliberately reproduce a dagger in this condition. Too much work for too little money. The price given its "relic" condition still seems high to me despite the rarity.
Good luck
Rick

Wanted: German Naval Edged Weapons and Related Accouterments
Rick most Pack navy’s I have seen have the twisted wire like this dagger. With the wrong scabbard and the condition I am not sure I would be happy with this one in my collection.

Collecting Interests - Heer Daggers - Waffenrock - Portraits - http://WW2-Collector.com
S
S
Tom,
Since you have more experience than I with this rare maker, I defer to your wisdom. I wouldn't have this one in my collection no matter the rarity but that is a personal choice I suppose. I likely have some Imperial Navy pieces that others would not have paid the price I did. Eye of the beholder I suppose...
Rick

Wanted: German Naval Edged Weapons and Related Accouterments

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,266,259 SS Bayonets
1,763,639 Teno Insignia Set
1,132,189 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Pipes old and new
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 09:40 PM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Stephen - 05/01/2024 12:40 PM
Wanted Dug or Alive!
by Gaspare - 04/29/2024 10:54 PM
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Latest New Posts
Pipes old and new
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 09:48 PM
POCKET MATCHSAFES
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 09:31 PM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 08:26 PM
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 06:48 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,666
Posts329,073
Members7,523
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
7 members (Mikee, Documentalist, Jonesy, jager, seany, Dave, Nietzsche), 363 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod