Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Sorry no contact in a while guys.,,,still no PC yet..
My family has been thrown a curve ball and things are worse than ever. After rebuilding and moving in last week we now have been contacted by the state / Feds and they want us to tear down our house and rebuild higher..We don't know what to do yet but have been in contact with our county, Fed. Gov.,and laywer.

But still I feel these names need recognition now that we're back in our home... I'm so sorry if I've left anyone's name off.....

Listed are members / friends , that have donated to help my family,,sorry to embarrass anyone but this a fine thing you've done for us whether it was $5. or $500.

This is a list of HONOR...... I will never forget this friends and hope one day to do the same for another friend in need of help.
,,,thanks and God bless..,Gaspare

In no particular order:

Joe Wotka
Robert Pauch
Doug Kramer
don doering
serge masche
ian dale
bob iqbal
charles bell
urban martinez
patrice vialle
bob rodgers
ed martin
jim wallace
mike mcalvanah
paul ayerst
roger jeandell
bill warda
fraser lang
john zeller
robert reynolds
mike cunniffe
andy legere
jim modena
john pepera
johnny L.
Tony sidoti
My cousin vinny

Very depressing, what a nightmare ,, But Gaspare will pull through, and will perhaps be a stronger person because of this long drawn out ordeal - Certainly will have new perspectives.
Request, John that you post G's paypal info here again, every little bit helps and we should not rest content until he is back on his feet.

Doug Kramer

Doug
Oh God this is terrible !!
G-man I know you have other things to worry about, but just so the membership is aware I also contributed to the fund in the first couple days, (dont want people thinking I talk the talk but dont walk the walk!)

Last edited by Jon Fish; 03/19/2013 09:52 PM.

Always buying Blood Orders.
On my T-Bird forum a member in La. has been raising his home 10ft. 2ft above flood plain this is a Hi-Ranch type home ,he added steel beams ,pilings for columns and a ton of interior work due to the lift.Everything is complete except interior work. He's just been notifyed by FEMA n national flood ins. his house has to be raised 2ft. more to meet the NEW standards which overide the 2012 ones.

You know you're over the hill when "Happy Hour" means Nap Time

OP Offline
Skynyrd and et all that may be concerned.

Here again is Gaspare's Pay Pal address;

Gtbua@aol.com

GDC -
I have received a few emails. I will try to explain. This is for any insured property in the USA.. IF you have a flood or fire insurance policy on your prop.
IF you receive repetitive damage [twice within 2 years] and your last claim on your structure was 51% of what your structure is worth the Feds/Locals can make you to move your house, raise your house, or knock down and rebuild your house. .
My house can not be moved nor raised. I must knock it down,,install helicall piles, then a foundation with my front door about 10 ft hi! My other choice is to sell. We are not eligible for a buyout from state,, no one is going to buy the property.
16 years here in paradise. Raised a few kids, paid my taxes, a regular guy. Now we have a beautiful home,,the best of everything,,and it will all be gone one way or another within a year or 2 at the most..
..PC and Internet service soon!...

* Jon Fish,,so sorry I left your name off [and anyone else's]. You certainly belong on the Honor List above old friend, thank you!

Friends, my family and I thank you all for the well wishes and prayers,,,God Bless,,,Gaspare

with any luck you can keep it in litigation for years.

best PAUL

V
V
sorry to here your storys.I just got back in my house 2days ago.No flood ins Flema gave me some money the rest came from my saveings.Thank god my fireman son and a bunch of the outher fireman work in the trades helped me out and I saved a lot.Im not going up hope its another 100years till the nextone.Good luck and you will be in my prays Paul

D
D
Any update on Gaspare? I would hate to think we have forgotten about him.

I heard from him 4/8, where he said [in part]:

Things still aren't so good here. 100s of homes now after rebuilding must now be either raised [lifted] or torn down and rebuilt higher. We lost a lot last year in 'Irene' but this year with Sandy we just about lost everything,,least of all just about 90% of a 35 yr military collection!..
For now our family is living all together at least.

Doug
Drives me crazy every time I hear about the feds getting involved and making things much worse, rather than simply helping the citizens. We have gone thru the same thing here in Lousiana twice during the past few years, the feds just never seem to learn.

Urban B Martinez Jr
Just heard from Gaspare again, he says hes in a bit of a $$ pit but still alive and kicking.
Says hes in the process of reloading an old hard drive on another computer, and should be posting in a week or 2.

Happy 4th everyone.

Doug
G
G
Hi guys! well I;m back,,, on a limited basis anyway..

First I want to say a big thank you to all those who have sent help and prayers.

We had the American dream,,,and over night we lost it all. We lost much in hurricane Irene. We took precautions for Sandy..Well, you can take as much precautions as you want,,but when 6 and 10ft tidal surges come into town there isn't anywhere high enough, isn't anywhere safe..

What ever we managed to save from hurricane Irene we lost in Sandy....Our clothes, records, furniture,cars/bikes,photos, a 35 yr military collection....Luckily we escaped with our health..

Its been 10 months,,,we are still in the same predicament. A home that must be torn down and no funds to do it... We hear we're getting grants here, grants there. Well like I say, 10 months and nobody knows anything. We sit in danger of another flood, and the ever looming super increase of our flood ins. policy...

So I'm back. I got a lot of catching up here to read. You guys are still finding some good stuff! I love seeing it all! For now I can't be a daily visitor but I'll be peeking in a few times a week.. Thanks again guys for all the help and prayers.. grin

D
D
Welcome back Gaspare.

It is good to see you here again, Gaspare.

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
G
G
Today is the 28th,,,a year ago I had 3 feet of water come in to our house..

Tomorrow the 29th we had approx. 6 foot of water come into our home.

Everything was ruined,,everything we owned was gone, ruined beyond repair.
- We had no electric,,no water,,no natural gas,,no gasoline....

Looters the first few days everywhere,,raw sewage everywhere.. Nothing open, no fresh food,,most of the canned / dry food gone with a few days...

I have some terrible photos I took. Really,,I can't bare to look at them..

This photo about 20 min from us,,we suffered the same type damage..

rockaway-935.jpg (99.74 KB, 234 downloads)
G
G
Dear friends like recently passed John Pepera,
Also Andy 'MilitaryNut', Jim Modena,,and the others on the list on the first page helped us.
There are others that helped thru prayer,,,it all helped and my Wife ,children, and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts....

Thank God I was lucky to have the U.S. Army National Guard set up from across from our home.... Great bunch of young guys. They were there for us in everyway..

We rebuilt,,and rebuilt fast [had experience the year before from IRENE].
Things are very far from over. We have a beautiful home we live in.. But a home that we learned must be torn down!

We qualify for all the programs,,all the Grants.. NY has over a billion just for residential rebuilding.. We've been jumping thru the hoops,,saying how high,,,but we still don't have an idea if and when we can get started with our lives again.

But life goes on,,schools opned,,people got back to work. We live day by day. Greatfull that we have each other and our health..

Take the time friends to appreciate what you have,,hug your family, pray to what ever God you pray to......

Again I just want to say thank you to all that thought of us. It DID and still does really help..,Thanks again Gaspare

Thanks for sharing Gaspare, I know anniversaries of tragedies can be tough.
Hard for the average person to even comprehend the dynamics behind "looting", a very evil symptom and something that can and will happen anywhere that social order breaks down. Needless to say, I agree with the spirit behind the "LOOTERS WILL BE SHOT ON SIGHT" signs, I can easily imagine putting one up myself, and backing it up if need be, what scum.

Here is a recently posted huge gallery of aftermath pics for anyone interested, good as our imaginations might be it is impossible for those of us who haven't lived it like you to appreciate the scale of destruction, pics are the only way to begin to understand.
http://news.yahoo.com/photos/hurricane-sandy-then-and-now-1381438438-slideshow/

This is an under rated catastrophe, I think because the actual body count was relatively low and there was really no central, famous target like New Orleans with a mass of devastated urban population, people tend to think it was just a bad storm over in a couple of days.

Doug
zet Offline
just horrible view will think about You and Your family.Very small help was sent Ted

Water is truly a powerful thing to think it caused all of this to happen 1 year ago. I know that when Hurricane Irene hit and my house flooded then, there was looters. They really are scum to see that someone's entire house is on the curb and they are searching through it.

G
G
I couldn't get back to my house for a couple days after the event. Things were already pretty crazy.

All the big and small markets were robbed of cigarettes, liquor.. Those that had the steel roll down gates in the front,,the thieves simply either bum rushed them with crow bars,,or those that got a hold of a car drove right thru the front of the store...

I have a 1945 Soviet bolt action Nagant. [works fine ;)] Myself and 3 others [also armed] patrolled a few blocks for a few days until the Army arrived. They were cool. They were o.k. with us carrying our rifles as long as we stayed on our property frown...
The Army immediately started a 7 p.m. curfew,,and an arrest on site order........

Last edited by Gaspare; 10/30/2013 03:19 AM.
G
G
damage done all over, from Long Island to Lower Manhattan...
There are so many photos. I haven't seen many of them.. Truly amazing we didn't lose more lives.......

G
G
well its May of 2014. Looks like I have to go thru another hurricane season.. My home will probably be knocked down sometime around October.. So much to do. Jumpin thru hoops for the grant money. Permits, Architects,surveys, soil tests, how many piles every 10 foot. Demo, rebuild, move and live somewhere else again while its being done,,could take a year start to finish..

I found an old memory card with some Sandy photos..

This first one is the FEMA man! He was there the 3rd day after the 'event'. Here he is measuring the 'low' spot by my front door....

2nd is part of the rear of my house,,the deep end, well over 6 foot,,other you can see the water line just below the window.

2014 005.JPG (110.54 KB, 244 downloads)
2014 067.JPG (103.05 KB, 245 downloads)
2014 037.JPG (106.06 KB, 245 downloads)
G
G
Heres some of my collection I found in my back yard the 3rd day after the water went down...

2014 295.JPG (118.29 KB, 243 downloads)
2014 348.JPG (91.9 KB, 242 downloads)
2014 312.JPG (119.19 KB, 241 downloads)
2014 327.JPG (122.51 KB, 242 downloads)
G
G
Some years ago I got into a storage building in Ukraine,,found a bunch of interesting SS documents. Also so German personal files, complete, from birth cert. to death. Stack of them,,this guy is all that managed to float and stay in my back yard.
Had around 100 documents,,this is whats left:

2014 331.JPG (78.02 KB, 241 downloads)
2014 315.JPG (115.42 KB, 243 downloads)
2014 329.JPG (97.35 KB, 243 downloads)
G
G
I had 10 0r so large riker cases with what I kept after selling some of it years ago. Kept the real mint stuff... Also had 2 US GI foot lockers crammed with 'stuff', daggers, caps, belts,fighting knifes etc.,,8 German tunics gone also, ,all gone..

Ever see a Police eagle like this?

2014 316.JPG (114.29 KB, 326 downloads)
Last edited by Gaspare; 05/10/2014 05:36 AM.
L
L
Terrible loss of wonderful historical antiques. I am sure that unless you have been through something like that it is hard to imagine the devastation. I don`t know how you go about getting over something like this Gaspare. Heartbreaking.

War is when your government tells you who the enemy is.
Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
B
B
Gaspare,
If you really think that there is going to another flood, is it really worth living there??
Thanks
Bob

robert grant
R
RFI Offline
R
I think at times like this we realize how militaria is just "stuff". Your family and friends are what are really important. But, I think you have to live through a catastrophic event to realize this, hopefully most of you do not.
I hope life is getting better Gaspare:)!
Best Wishes,
Bob

Ouch, looks like salt water is the arch enemy of relics.
Hope you can rebuild Gas, maybe all these negative developments will turn around and drop a load of + karma on you.

Doug
G
G
Bob,, its a wonderful safe area. Long Beach a half a mile away. NYC a 30 min train ride. We love it,,,BUT, we'd go in a sec. IF we could..
I have 3 years left on a 20 year mortgage. The house before the 2 floods was worth around $350K. Now,,,its not even worth half that. I am not going to give it away!
So we are in line for grants where they will tear down the house and rebuild it higher for us to FEMA regulations.. Tons of red tape and jumping thru hoops. But unless I want to give it to someone for $150.K what am I going to do?.
I'm in my mid 50s and need another mortgage like a hole in my head...

So we wait, jump thru the hoops,,pray...
Lord willing things will start to happen before this year ends..

My collection? 90% gone/ruined. Have my rings, a few tunics, My Wolchowstock collection and a few other weird things. Don't really buy anything anymore unless its something really unique/weird etc.
All that matters is that we all survived safely and in pretty good health.

Gaspare...........

Bless you brother........Hang in there...........

Lou Bell
G
G
Well guys its been a full 2 years since SuperStorm Sandy hit my area. My town is slowly rebuilding. Many businesses have not come back. Many homes are still empty. MY family is fighting for our grant to rebuild,,tons of red tape etc. Hopefully another month or 2 and the process will start for us.

*I just want to thank all those listed on the prior page again for helping my family. It was a tough time for us and your generosity and prayers really helped. John, your not here in body but thanks for the help and starting the topic, RIP brother.

A word of warning for some of you.. Are you prepared for a tragic event? When the grocery stores are closed. When there is no gas,,no electricity? Can't get your money because the banks are closed, no electricity for the ATM? Water from tap not drinkable, no fresh food? Nothing to protect your family from roving bands of thieves?
*Make sure you have some MREs, a large bottle of water, a fire starter, a medical kit, couple knifes, a good bicycle, and hate to say it, some sort of firearm. IF it can happen to me it can happen to anyone...Prepare and you won't be sorry...

Last edited by Gaspare; 10/30/2014 03:52 AM.
Thanks for the update Gaspare. We all think a disaster won't happen to me... it will happen to the other guy. Thanks also for the reminder that preperation is the key to survival.

"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson
Hang in there Gaspare! You still have some nice stuff (Erkennugsmarken!).

Die Treue ist das Mark der Ehre!
G
G
Well guys a little update with some good news..

This coming October will be 3 years since the event.. We still live in a house that will have to be torn down.. We worry all thru out Hurricane season. Well it looks like I will finally be getting my share of the grant money.. It will just be barely enough to tear down my home. Put 20 piles in the ground, pour a 10ft. high foundation and build a house on top of it.. When??probably start the beginning of the new year IF all goes well..

I still can't believe my collection is gone sometimes. Hasn't really hit me. Feels like its packed away with the rest of my life. Probably won't really accept it and realize its actually gone until this mess is finally over and we get to unpack in to our new home. Guess I'll deal with it then..

Want to thank again all those who helped in one way or another. Looking back we were pretty bad shape for a bit,,no fresh food, warm clothes, personal possessions, gas , elec. etc. God bless you guys and the National Guard and the charitable organizations..

Seems like a long time ago,,and it is. But my town is still devastated. Every other business is still missing.. Many just took the loss and left their homes with hi mortgages. Just about every block there is a house being raised.. All ********. Even when they rebuild mine,,,how long will it last??, 30 years, 50 years? At the rate we're destroying our planet it'll probably be less. And, look for it to be happening around the world at the costal cities! Water has its own mind,,and will go where it wants especially when we abuse the plant and the levels rise like they are.

- *Some good news. The first summer after nothing would grow in our garden,,nothing! 2nd season,,some things grew, some just wouldn't.. Well this year we've been having a really good season! Mint, Basil, Dill, Rosemary, Horse radish,scallion and tomatoes. Had every thing checked,,all safe to eat. And what flavor!! nothing from the store tastes like homegrown!

005.JPG (118.17 KB, 133 downloads)
008.JPG (112.75 KB, 132 downloads)
Last edited by Gaspare; 07/31/2015 04:27 AM.
Gaspare, thanks for the update, some odd coincidence I was thinking about you the other night before passing out to sleep and was wondering how you were getting along.
It is beyond our comprehension what you went through and are still going through, some things must be lived to be known. Little comfort that it could have been worse, but it could have - At least you and your loved ones are intact.

Out of curiosity if you don't mind me asking, how was the majority of your collection lost ? Was it just washed away, or more or less just trashed beyond redemption ? You think you have any odds of finding anything with a metal detector ?

Doug
G
G
Well,,after hurricane Irene [which we had only 3 foot of water]. We had the choice to either put stuff way up high,,or move the items to another location. I took the doors off in the house and used milk crates and made 6 ft high tables.. I put some , the riker cases etc. on them... Some pieces I relocated to the other side of town that doesn't flood..

Sandy was a MFer! She put around 5 foot of water thru the house!,, twice as the tide went out [or was supposed to] and came back in with only 3 foot water..When we came back from evacuation my rear door to the house wasn't there. Also missing was a slop sink,,and a hot water heater, a couch.. At first we thought thieves,,but no. From what we understand and saw elsewhere was,,it was the force of the initial first tide wave. And,,somehow went out quickly. It left fast actually and taking many things with it!

So, everything in the house became buoyant. My refrigerator was floating around and taking out walls etc! So like the riker cases,,they were either totally gone,,or spread out everywhere down the block. The items at the 'safe house',,well, nothing was safe in Sandy. Areas that have never been close to flooding flooded! So most everything gone or ruined..

Some stuff I found in my back yard,,,

zzzS.JPG (163.34 KB, 87 downloads)
G
G
items that were in riker cases,,,

1st,,ocean salt water,,,then raw sewage,,then salt water again... This combo ruined everything. There was no washing with fresh water and/or baking soda.. That water combo was potent ********! I had case hardened machinist tools ruined, etched, ate away! no chance of repair.... [that's a Police cap eagle!]......

zzzzzS.JPG (91.9 KB, 86 downloads)
zzzzzzzpol.JPG (122.15 KB, 86 downloads)
Last edited by Gaspare; 08/01/2015 04:25 AM.
G
G
I kept groups of related collections in military steamer trunks.
Had a trunk full of Holocaust paper items / documents. Period documents from Dachau, Auschwitz, http://www.germandaggers.com/Gallery/IC1.phpBuchenwald. Inmate ID books, passes etc. . Also a large amount of very rare directly postwar Concentration Camp booklets of the different camps. Many printed in Germany..
Some in French, some Russian and in English,,and some in all 3 languages.

Also a large probably 6/7 inches of my Great Uncles war unit newspapers. These range from the very start of the war right until the end.. Think I got one or 2 I managed to wash and conserve...
They kind of look ok here,,but most just fell apart after drying to trying to conserve........

zzzzkl.JPG (137.86 KB, 81 downloads)
zzzzp.JPG (112.92 KB, 80 downloads)
Last edited by Gaspare; 08/01/2015 04:43 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,631 SS Bayonets
1,760,348 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,798 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Spitzer Stuka Etch Opinions
by RookieSA - 03/29/2024 09:58 AM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Latest New Posts
Spitzer Stuka Etch Opinions
by RookieSA - 03/29/2024 09:58 AM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Luftbud - 03/29/2024 09:21 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Luftbud - 03/29/2024 09:13 AM
Personalized reproduction honor ring source?
by Evgeniy - 03/29/2024 09:02 AM
F Dula with a twist
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 03/28/2024 09:29 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,653
Posts328,715
Members7,502
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
13 members (Don Scowen, Billy G., Documentalist, Honestmike, RookieSA, Simone, Baz69, Vern, Stephen, Luftbud, The_Collector, Browning1900, Evgeniy), 585 guests, and 124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod