Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#274620 11/28/2012 03:25 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I placed a wanted ad in our classified, I am a permium member. A respected longtime member replied and offerred to help. We have done good business previously. I mailed an International Money Order on October 15 as agreed upon. after two weeks I emailed to inquire on status. I heard nothing back. I emailed at least 4 more times and received no reply. I then sent 3 or 3 PMs. I heard nothing. I checked GDC and the member is posting. I posted on the original thread, on the member's threads and still nothing. It was for a very small monetary ammount. I did not want to embarrass the member as there could have been reasons. I contacted Dave Hohaus and asked for his advice. I received a reply to the effect "Ryan you have done similiar" This was not a true statement and even if it were, I had no idea what it had to do with the matter at hand. Dave finally agreed to email the member. The member responded to Dave to the effect that "people often state that payment has been sent when in fact it has not, or they send money." I have been a Provincial Law Enforcement officer and Governement employee for 24 years. If I said that I sent payment then I did. I have the money order receipt as prof...I would not cause this crap over $15.00 but it is a matter of principal. There seems to be a lot of conversation and protection on this forum for so called "deadbeat buyers" that do not pay but no protection for buyers that send money and do not receive item. Kind of backwards if you ask me. One could possibly constitute fraud and is theft, the other is trite and a matter of conscience. This is the second time that I have sent payment to a member of this forum for a For sale item and have not received it. The lack of assistance provided in my case is astounding and I support this site faithfully as do many of you. I expected better treatment. For the record. I have been accused, falsely on 2 occassions of not following through on "purchases' to which specific administration have jumped on. I have NEVER been accused of keeping someone's money. What is going on here????????? regards, Ryan to date I have recieved NO reply from he member, but dave has.....why won't the member reply?????

Ryan:

If the member never received the money, then he should have had no problem replying to you to tell you that. Occasionally, mail, even first class mail, will go astray and be delayed. I once had a letter with a money order going to Las Vegas from Calgary take 14 days to get there. So, delays are not unexpected, though not common.

So, delayed mail should not result in someone ignoring your messages.

I can only surmise that the ignoring of your efforts to contact this man is the result of something that he feels guilty about.. ie. he sold the item to someone else and doesn't want to acknowledge it, or something similar.

The only way to address this is to 'out' the member... post his name and his e-mail if you have it. Maybe, that will get you your response.

My two cents worth,

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
S
OP Offline
S
Hi John, thanks for your reply. I think and know the member to be a fairly decent person, so I am hoping that what you suggest is not the case. It is , after all $15 for two ribbons. He may in fact have many of them. I fully understand and accept that the MO may not have made it to him. It was, after all during "Sandy" so who knows what happened. What I do not get is exactly what you state. Why would he reply to Dave but ignore me? I even took his feelings into consideration before and after I asked dave for assistance. What more can I do and how more fair can I be? I guess that time will tell. Thanks and regards, Ryan P.S I will not "out" the member but as this remains an open forum his identity is still easy to see by his post on the wanted thread...

the dealer you are talking about has had problems here before and was banned by Dave for several months.

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks Paul, funny that Dave never divulged that to me, but rather chastised me by his bringing up of past incidents, albeit inaccurately. So what say you Dave? I can supply you with a copy of the money order? The member is still not replying to any of my emails or personal messages. I did not know that he has done this previously. I am perplexed that you did not inform me of this in any of your emails to me. I have no choice than to consider this an act of fraud, mail fraud in the US is a Federal offence. I eagerly await your reply. Regards, Ryan

S
OP Offline
S
member is "militarymania" Bob from Austin Texas..I am finished protecting people and being sensitive to their reputations. I wonder why I was shown such bias. This person was banned from this forum. I have been here since the "early days" and regularly support it...yet I was made to feel as if I did something wrong and I was the "crook" care to comment Dave? Either you or I can post your email comments here on this thread for all to see. I would like an explanation. Thanks Ryan

S
OP Offline
S
email address is boxcarbox@yahoo.com

P
P
Why wouldn't he respond ? It would've been much more courteous to simply reply to Ryan's emails. Perhaps Bob hasn't received the money yet but that doesn't stop anyone from responding to an email, just my opinion.

T
T
I agree. it doesn't take but a few minutes to let someone know the status. There is no reason to not respond. As far as Hohaus as moderator, not helping to do the job of moderator is
not right. He certainly had no problem posting my name/address on the forum when he said I was working around the FS rules.
Ryan, as you, it is the principle not the money! Hope it resolves in your favor. Ron

S
OP Offline
S
Hi Ron, thanks for your reply. I am sorry that you experienced what you did. It was and is not right! I wonder how many more members there are like us that this happened to. I wonder why a member who has been banned from this site for allegedly not sending items/goods following payment, as Paul alledges, by the moderator is defended when I come forward with a legitimate issue? Why are some members being permitted to perform acts of fraud under the guise of this site. God forbid that this become a "formal investigation" by an authoratative body. worthy of further looking into perhaps. I would hope that this is looked into further. Anyone that committs an act of fraud should never be permitted to sell on this site again...period...it is indefensible...IMO.....cheers, Ryan

Online Content
Ryan,

When you mentioned your problem, you asked for suggestions I replied:

"I'm not sure what to suggest. Sometimes things happen. As I remember you have been in a similar position."

Now, as to your current problem, I forwarded to you the other fellow's response saying he never got your money order, copying him. I told you to sort it out between you.

Beyond that, there is little I can do. Mail does get lost, etc.

Paul,

Yes, he and I had words a while ago but it was nothing to do with anything like this at all.

Ron Holt,

It was YOU who announced your name on GDC while using the name "Ron" back in 2006. See below.

Dave

military_002aa.jpg (66.95 KB, 136 downloads)
S
OP Offline
S
Hi Dave, I really do appreciate your reply..having said that...Regardless of mail getting lost or whatever...the member has not and refuses to answer my emails, so please advise as to how I can "sort it out with him?" Do you have any logical reason beyond what has been stated by John and Patrice as to why he would not reply? Doesn't make any sense at all, he sure replied to you. Finally do you realize how inappropriate, obtuse and mundane it is for you to state, "there is nothing that I can do" When members don't send money you are all over them, wanting to post their names, shame them, you even brought that up in the email that you posted here to me, again inaccurately. Yet here is an allegation that a member may or may not have received money, maybe even stole or committed fraud ( I don't know as he wont honour me with an email) and you are saying that you are not willing to or can not do ANYTHING Am I out in left centre field or something. If so will someone please tell me? Thanks and regards, Ryan

S
OP Offline
S
P.S. you can ban the guy if he doesn't reply to me here is my number...ask that he call me so that we can "sort the matter out" (905)420-1291 I will cover the long distance charges you know that there is much that you can do. Different rules for different people. I apologize for not being in the "cliche" this year at SOS I will book a suite and supply the booze for all!!!!! will that suffice Johnnie Walker black for all!!!!!

R
R
I bet this post soon just disappears.Like so many other things. Makes you real gun shy to nuy off fourmn kinda not a good thing.

E
E
I can understand your part about the no reply from him. Have you checked to see if the M.O. or cashiers check was cashied? I could understand the not sending the ribbons if he didnt money yet, but he at least should stay in touch.Dave...How about e mailing the guy again and telling him to respond to Ryans e mails and if no reply banning him. I just find it hard to believe if you say you have done business with the guy before and everything went ok that he would try and take you for such a minor amount.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. And remember the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
T
T
"Ron Holt,

It was YOU who announced your name on GDC while using the name "Ron" back in 2006. See below.

Dave"

I do not want it to interfere with Ryan and his situation. I used it as an example that folks can be identified.
Yes, I did put my name on my picture, but the post below is what I was talking about. I have nothing to hide or don't mind my name used, it is just the way is came up. I don't want to take away from Ryan's thread as it is the main problem that has to be focused on and resolved. Ron

"Tanker is probably our old member Ron Holt From Tennessee.

If you get back to collecting, Ron, then post some stuff. What you are doing now is stalking and trying to get a mud slinging match going.

Dave"

Last edited by Tanker; 11/29/2012 12:33 AM.
Online Content
Rick, Done that.

Ryan says he sent the Money Order. I believe him

Bob Says he did not get it. I believe him

What's next? Ban both?

T
T
Not an easy position. You can only do so much.

After all is said and done, the least that could have been done is to advise payment was not received, rather than ignoring numerous mails. It's a matter of common courtesy, which all deserve, unless they have acted in such a way they don't deserve it.

S
OP Offline
S
Hi Rick/Earl you are right..I didn't want to have to do this, which is why I have waited 6 weeks without any replies, I do not get it either but what else can I do. Dave, Ban us both for what....?? Yeah, lets say Bob is right and he didn't get money order...fair enough. I believe that as well, for sake of arguement never doubted it....BUT why not answer my emails at all? Why answer your email, supply you with an explanation..but again not reply to me? How does that make any sense in anyone's world? You wouldn't do it, I wouldn't do it, no one would do it, except him? Bank of Montreal charges $100 to place trace on a money order, not a free service. Doesn't make sense for $15 money order, but I will beg branch manager tomorrow. I didn't want to stir up a hornet's nest, I justed wanted and deserve an explanation. cheers, Ryan

E
E
lol. Dave as the admin. of the forum you should drive to ryans get the copy of the m.o. drive to texas show the seller the m.o. get the ribbons (and if he doesnt give them to you beat the crap out of the guy pry the ribbons out of his hand) drive back to Canada and deliver the ribbons.lol. Or you could ban the guy...oh you already have.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. And remember the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks Grumpy. That was my point and that is all that I asked/wanted. I have been amicable throughout. I have all my emails, they are simple requests "Hi Bob sent payment out on October 15th, has it arrived?" " Hi Bob, not a big deal, just need to know status of ribbons as I have someone waiting for themedals, thanks" etc.etc.etc..

S
OP Offline
S
All I wanted was for Dave to offer to email the guy as the administrator, instead I was initially told that there was nothing that he could be done. Again, when a buyer backs out of a deal and no money is exchanged pleanty is done. That was all.........

E
E
whoa...I didnt realize it cost to see if a M.O. had been cashed. And before anybody get up in arms i was joking about Dave hitting the trail to take care of the sitution. Just trying to ad a little relief.I still dont understand how someone could just ignore another persons request.

S
OP Offline
S
Hi Rick, I got the humour, no worries, take care cheers

For me, the learning out of this is to try to pay with Paypal for low value purchases.. if the recipient doesn't like the high fees, one can pay using the gift option so that the sender pays the fees.

With this option, there can be no dispute that the payment did not arrive.

For items a little higher in value, pay by bank transfer.. my bank charges $13.50 per transaction for values up to $2,500.

I hope it all turns out ok for you, Ryan.

John

Last edited by JohnZ; 11/29/2012 04:37 AM. Reason: sp

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks John, I appreciate it. I don't even care about the ribbons or the $15...I would rather just have Bob contact me so that we can put this behind us, make sure all is okay and move onward and forward.thanks to all, cheers, Ryan

Online Content
Ryan,

To recap:

- You asked me to contact him re your money order
- I did
- He answered me saying he did not get your MO
- I forwarded the answer to you saying he did not get your MO
- I believe both you you and him.
- He does not appear to want to talk/correspond with you.

T
T
I mean, for $15, come on. For a guy to get a tarnished rep for that amount is insane. Just send Ryan a quick email letting him know the status. For goodness sake, how much effort does that take!
Ron

Online Content
Ron,

Nobody has a "tarnished rep". He said / he said.

And, he answered my question and I sent that on to Ryan. If he does not want to talk to Ryan ... his choice.

S
OP Offline
S
whatever....guy has something to hide..plain and simple....why send me email offerring ribbons....we make deal...I send payment...guy has no further dialogue...I even supply my number...yet he replies to you...is there something more to this?...for what possible reason would someone not reply? Am I the only one who smells something off here?...How can anyone defend these actions?..I am not trying to rip the guy off...I am even willing to pay again...I need the ribbons because the guy I sold them to bought them on that condition....so Dave if it were $500 or $1500 instead of $15 would your position be the same???? Why isn't it a matter of "he said he said" when it is a matter of sellers saying "deadbeat" buyers? Why the hyocritical approach? Why when someone labels someone a deadbeat are you all gung ho to propose bans and naming them yet in this case no one wants to do anything? Fair question? But when someone may or may not have committed an act of theft or fraud it becomes one guys word against another? Again, a fair question...I honestly have nothing against you Dave, I know many mutual hobbyists that know you and like you. I rely on someone's treatment of me...I would just like to know the reason for the apparent "double standard" being applied....regards, Ryan

S
OP Offline
S
Member Bob Iqbal has contacted me and is sending me a KV2 ribbon, free of charge. An outstanding gentleman and an asset to the hobby and to this forum. If I could nominate him for something I would. Thanks Bob, cheers, Ryan

S
OP Offline
S
Still no reply....constitutes guilt and nothing else in my book...all over a measly $15 times must be tough.....:(

Online Content
No, Ryan, you are not correct.

He answered me, saying he never got your money order, and I forwarded that email to you. There is not much to discuss about "I did not get it"

That he declines to talk to you or post here does NOT prove anything but a disinclination to talk to you.

If you are that exercised about this, spend whatever is needed to run a trace and settle the issue. If he cashed it, he's toast. If he did not, you will need to post a sincere apology.

Thread closed until you do that. Please do not open it again elsewhere

Dave

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,263,534 SS Bayonets
1,762,007 Teno Insignia Set
1,130,967 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Small pennant question.
by Dutchman - 04/07/2024 08:57 PM
Latest New Posts
Overslept a development???
by Luftbud - 04/16/2024 01:03 AM
Bulgarian Brannik youth knife - real?
by wotan - 04/15/2024 06:46 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 10:17 PM
CLAY TOBACCO PIPES
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/14/2024 06:25 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,667
Posts329,017
Members7,516
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jonesy, atis, Dave, Nietzsche, seany), 397 guests, and 110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod