Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TimL Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hey guys - I was watching this on ebay, it closed for $325. It's a Puma sawback fireman bayonet with the saw teeth running the opposite direction from every other sawback I've seen. Did bubba cut them into the blade the wrong direction and someone got taken, or is it legit? I vote for option one, but maybe it's a rare Puma thing(?).

Last edited by TimL; 07/03/2012 09:21 PM.
Online Content
I saw this myself & wasn't fond of the seller not emailing pics of the tip. I also didn't like that he failed to mention the blade was sharpened which is obviously was. Seller got more than he deserved.

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
T
TimL Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Billy, what do you think about the direction of the teeth?

Sorry I got toooo much for it. I started it at 5 bucks. my bad. I am only able to load 12 pics per item and the tip picture got nixed by me on mistake but here it is for all the die hards. I can list stuff with zero write up or the life span of the item. its all the same to me anymore. also on my phone most times and i cant navigate very well with it. yeah it was an odd ball when i bought it a few years back nobody seemed to want it then maybe i paid 200 then that was max i bet. it was neat i like the odd stuff was it bubbaed it sure looked ok with me but i cave to the experts. with the larger type frog one it when i bought it i figured it was ok thats a reach to go for someone putting together a rig. most would have opted for a regular black frog. but again I know nothing and am a sly seller winky winky. BTW my wifes couch looks great in the photos i cant make it look that good.

DSC02140.JPG (97.49 KB, 150 downloads)
I come on here to post my eick sa and ah well its some time spent on the forum I guess. This was in my collection maybe 3 or 4 years i was always into odd stuff. i was or am selling off my puma stuff along with all my items. and no i dont really care about a big write up on this stuff anymore its for sale period I dont want it anymore if i could sell it all on ebay i would. the big reason I want out its not fun anymore. I'm sure some of you get that also. we all forgot the fun and worry about the textbook, I wont argue the point as its pointless. the boker hang tag lets say........

Online Content
Bret,

Didn't know it was you man, sorry. Several collecting friends emailed me about this & asked about the whether it was worth the chance to bid because the tip wasn't shown, I thought it possible there was a retip or pitting. As typical with Eban lately, some sellers purposely don't picture flaws & don't permit returns. Eban always makes me skeptical.

On another note, Puma sawbacks are not common at all. I think I've seen only 1 or 2 others.

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
T
TimL Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I didn't have a problem with ebay auction or condition, just askng about the direction of teeth. The plating looks good, it doesn't look damaged like it might be if someone cut teeth into it after it was plated. I don't recall seeing any German sawback with teeth running that direction, but I'm not an expert, just an observer. So ... the sawback running that direction is ok? Is it more common than I thought?

T
TimL Offline OP
OP Offline
T
No offense intended cog-hammer, didn't mean to start a discussion about you or ebay. I thought someone here might be able to share some info on a "non-textbook" piece. If it was in the textbook, I would have seen it while doing my homework smile.

Online Content
Tim,

Regarding your question of the direction of the sawteeth of this particular bayonet, this is something I don't believe I've ever taken notice of. I checked the 6 sawbacks I have. They are 3 Eickhorns (of differing vintages), a Henckels, an Alcoso & a Carl August Meis, all had teeth pointing in the other direction. This doesn't surprise me since both the Henckels & Meis have Eickhorn hilts so essentially 5 of my 6 sawbacks were made by Eickhorn.

I don't believe this indicates the Puma is incorrect or in some way wrong. The teeth seem well formed & symetrical with the only difference being the direction. There definitely are period bayonets out there that have been "converted" to sawbacks in modern times but I don't think that's the case here. I have bought at least 2 in recent years, both with rare maker marks & it broke my heart that the blades were redone. Those bayonets had smaller teeth which were poorly formed, you would be able to tell if ever you had seen a real one in hand.

On this Puma, I think it's original & period. Can't say with certainty about the teeth direction but would be inclined to believe it's just a manufacturer's variation.

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310
Hey, B:

Have you posted pics of your Eick sawbacks?

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
T
TimL Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: Billy G.
Tim,

Regarding your question of the direction of the sawteeth of this particular bayonet, this is something I don't believe I've ever taken notice of. I checked the 6 sawbacks I have. They are 3 Eickhorns (of differing vintages), a Henckels, an Alcoso & a Carl August Meis, all had teeth pointing in the other direction. This doesn't surprise me since both the Henckels & Meis have Eickhorn hilts so essentially 5 of my 6 sawbacks were made by Eickhorn.

I don't believe this indicates the Puma is incorrect or in some way wrong. The teeth seem well formed & symetrical with the only difference being the direction. There definitely are period bayonets out there that have been "converted" to sawbacks in modern times but I don't think that's the case here. I have bought at least 2 in recent years, both with rare maker marks & it broke my heart that the blades were redone. Those bayonets had smaller teeth which were poorly formed, you would be able to tell if ever you had seen a real one in hand.

On this Puma, I think it's original & period. Can't say with certainty about the teeth direction but would be inclined to believe it's just a manufacturer's variation.

Thanks Billy.

It's a first for me in my admittedly limited experience. I didn't want to go off memory alone so I looked through the fireman bayonet thread here on the forum, "German Sidearms and Bayonets" by Klaus Lübbe, Carter's book "German Bayonets, The Models 98/02 and 98/05", George Wheeler's Sietengewehr book, and Roy Williams "The Collectors Book of German Bayonets, Part One". I couldn't find a single example of anything with teeth running this direction - issued pieces or private purchase. It would be nice to see other Puma sawbacks for comparison, maybe someone has a picture they'd be willing to post. I didn't have any luck searching the internet for one. If original, these teeth are an extremely rare, if not unique feature, IMO.

D
DTS Offline
D
Actually, I have a puma sawback. It has the puma head in a diamond logo, and the teeth go in the standard direction.

WSJ lautner art01.jpg (75.26 KB, 87 downloads)
D
DTS Offline
D
Boy, is this frustrating...

Puma bayonet.jpg (106.48 KB, 85 downloads)
D
DTS Offline
D
One more...

Puma sawback 2.jpg (70.41 KB, 83 downloads)
T
TimL Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Interesting, thanks for posting DTS.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,265,899 SS Bayonets
1,763,186 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,887 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Postwar Military PCs.
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 01:22 AM
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by Vik - 04/23/2024 02:22 PM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Gaspare - 04/23/2024 02:00 AM
S-98 nA. Bayonet
by lakesidetrader - 04/22/2024 01:57 PM
Latest New Posts
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by Gaspare - 04/27/2024 02:32 PM
Rings & Things for the MAX
by Stephen - 04/27/2024 08:19 AM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Ric Ferrari - 04/26/2024 05:52 PM
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,670
Posts329,073
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
7 members (JONATHAN, Stephen, Documentalist, Gaspare, Dean Perdue, Dave, ado), 602 guests, and 115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod