Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Just got this bayonet that looks exactly like the DOT42-3 VZ24 with no barrel ring and WaA markings but commercially marked only. Do you guys think that this is war time or post war? I tried to post pictures here but couldn't so I posted them here. http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/daggers-sw...081/#post617467 Thanks, Doug

The bayonet appears to be one of the postwar Czech commercial examples similar to the tgf one shown on the link.

"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson
OP Offline
Post war didn't the Czechs go back to the barrel rings? The one I have here is exactly like the DOT ones with out the barrel ring and blued. Just with no other markings than the circle "Z" on the blade and scabbard nose. With the nice bevel on the nose I was thinking pre DOT. Thanks Doug

Originally Posted By: DouglasKerley
Post war didn't the Czechs go back to the barrel rings? The one I have here is exactly like the DOT ones with out the barrel ring and blued. Just with no other markings than the circle "Z" on the blade and scabbard nose. With the nice bevel on the nose I was thinking pre DOT. Thanks Doug

Muzzle rings are also seen with some (new manufacture) wartime bayonets. The Czech factories (Ceskoslovensk� Zbrojovka) at Brno and (Pov�zsk�) Bystrica under the Germans were both engaged in manufacturing bayonets for the Wehrmacht. With scabbards that (to date so far) seem to only to have the Waffenamts from the HWaA inspectorate that is seen with the arms made at Brno. (Along with the observation that in the prewar period that some Czech Vz 24 scabbards had been subcontracted.) With the bayonet here otherwise appearing to be the same as the second batch from Bystrica (ie; blued - no muzzle ring) that is almost always seen with an Eagle/A80 on the ricasso (and a distinctive type of machine tool marking). (But not 100 % of the time as it seems that only a very small number of them were w/o a Waffenamt.) And a scabbard that has a (Brno) Eagle/63 on the frog stud. But only with (give or take) 50% (60/40 or ?) of that group of bayonets. With the other half being unmarked. FP

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP
Originally Posted By: DouglasKerley

Muzzle rings are also seen with some (new manufacture) wartime bayonets. The Czech factories (Ceskoslovensk� Zbrojovka) at Brno and (Pov�zsk�) Bystrica under the Germans were both engaged in manufacturing bayonets for the Wehrmacht. With scabbards that (to date so far) seem to only to have the Waffenamts from the HWaA inspectorate that is seen with the arms made at Brno. (Along with the observation that in the prewar period that some Czech Vz 24 scabbards had been subcontracted.) With the bayonet here otherwise appearing to be the same as the second batch from Bystrica (ie; blued - no muzzle ring) that is almost always seen with an Eagle/A80 on the ricasso (and a distinctive type of machine tool marking). (But not 100 % of the time as it seems that only a very small number of them were w/o a Waffenamt.) And a scabbard that has a (Brno) Eagle/63 on the frog stud. But only with (give or take) 50% (60/40 or ?) of that group of bayonets. With the other half being unmarked. FP

Do you think it is war time? Doug

Yes for the bayonet, citing the factors already mentioned as some legitimate variability is seen with some of the Bystrica made bayonets. With the scabbard looking more like a commercial/export marking. Which brings up the fact that not just the Wehrmacht were customers for CZ bayonets. With especially Romania also being a wartime good customer of CZ, as well as before the war. And we see some other marking conventions such as the �945� number code bayonets (like the early G 33/40�s) on some of the early wartime export CZ bayonets etc. With some late �crossover� bayonets also being reported, that I haven�t seen myself, but seem to be reasonable from what was reported. FP

Czech factories didnt exist,is Czechoslovak Armory and the Povazska Bystrica plant is a slovakian one,and the production was for German same as for other contractors.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,266,793 SS Bayonets
1,764,265 Teno Insignia Set
1,132,951 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Typeface/font used on SA, SS daggers.
by AfterMath - 05/07/2024 07:53 PM
SS Directory Black Book
by LotusPeddler96 - 05/06/2024 04:22 PM
ISO an SS HONOR RING or Totenkopfring
by LotusPeddler96 - 05/06/2024 01:15 AM
Welcome - New Collector Here
by LotusPeddler96 - 05/05/2024 03:40 PM
Latest New Posts
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 05/08/2024 03:32 AM
Flare guns or pistols! Lets see them!!!!!
by Gaspare - 05/08/2024 03:15 AM
SS honor ring. 1936.
by Tanker - 05/07/2024 08:49 PM
Typeface/font used on SA, SS daggers.
by AfterMath - 05/07/2024 07:53 PM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Stephen - 05/07/2024 03:21 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,673
Posts329,149
Members7,527
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
7 members (ollar, Documentalist, den70, Gerrit1963, Vern, OWN, hdmarley), 417 guests, and 110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod