Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#264056 04/30/2012 01:02 PM
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Gentlemen,

It's been quite a while since we had a look at some old Sch�tzen K�nig (shooting king) decorations. Actually, it's been some time since I've found anything that I consider a bit special, too. I recently picked up this 'oldie but goodie' from a nice lady who lives in Greece. At a hundred and sixteen years old, no, not the lady .. the medal, it's still in fine condition considering it's a thin, double-struck example. These early, lightweight silver as well as alloy pieces might seem fragile but they're surprisingly sturdy and well constructed. These three are all over a hundred years old - the neck-chain is engraved 1910, the middle star, 1896, and the larger star at the bottom, 1908. Sorry about the light glare in the photos, shooting these things can be a nightmare of reflections. I had the top and bottom pieces stashed away and thought this new example would complement the pair and make for a nice cased display.

In a thread in the community section we were discussing the global financial situation in general and more specifically, the state of the hobby and buying collectibles as investments. There I mentioned collecting as an interest - certain subjects and objects that stimulate the eye as well as the mind. From my perspective collecting should almost always be an enjoyable and entertaining experience.

Would anyone honestly think these shooting medals are hot, big-ticket items that I'm going to make a bundle on..? ha .. no way! I simply collect them because I like them, finis. There are many positive things about the designs I admire, the background and history is cool and they're affordable to guys like myself, with limited collecting budgets. Do I wish I could collect Prussian PM's, breast stars and the like? You bet. Can I afford them ... another definite and laughable, no way! Are those types of things solid investments? I'm sure they're as good as anything else, except maybe land and/or property? Stocks and bonds that we own could go 'belly-up' like poisoned fish at any time, nothing would surprise me pertaining to the spurious, crooked world of high-finance.

If the wheels do eventually fall off, at least with our collections we'll still have some good, tangible hardware left in our own hands. grin

I fear those who generate a lot of their incomes through the hobby may be in for a little 'rough-sailing.,,' but on the other hand, I feel our community is strong enough to support good, honest dealers, old friends and reputable acquaintances through these lean times. wink

And now back to the subject ... hope you enjoy the shooters!

Best!

Bill

newstar1sm.jpg (45.62 KB, 104 downloads)
newstar2sm.jpg (70.22 KB, 104 downloads)
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
2/2

newstar3sm.jpg (65.81 KB, 103 downloads)
Willi:

You constantly surprise me and amaze me.

Beautiful items like this will always retain value as works of art.

As always, thank you for showing.

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
Bill,

These are indeed works of art.

The craftsmanship, design, and attention to detail that goes into these are amazing.

Like all the other pieces I've seen of yours in the past, this being no exception, they're Creme de la Creme.

Thanks
Rich

In memory of my loyal companion Nitro.
Online Content
Bill

As ever these are some great sch�tzen medaille, I'm with you, guys should just enjoy what they collect, the investment part is just a side show to me, whilst these are not shooting related these Karnival medals can be had for next to nothing and feature some of the best enammelling that I have seen to date. These can be colleced on a shoestring budget.

Gary

Karnival Orden 001 (Large)a.jpg (72.88 KB, 93 downloads)
Karnival Orden 009 (Large).jpg (97.17 KB, 93 downloads)
Online Content
Here's a few shooting medals, all came from the same guy in Germany, picked all these up for around $100.

Gary

Shooting awards 001 (Custom).jpg (90.2 KB, 90 downloads)
Shooting awards 003 (Custom).jpg (67.72 KB, 90 downloads)
I didn know th circus was in town? Thank ye young feller!! crazy

F
F
Bill

Love the display...esp.the Kette.

Gary

Your laurel leaf award is also very interesting.

Thanks for showing.

Last edited by foxart; 05/01/2012 03:34 PM.

Roger
Hi Bill,, Excellent commentary and very true!...its all about the history! The Shooting chain is quite exquisite!! Regards Larry

Historical Stewardship is a Trusted Honor that must be kept!
WWII Offline OP
OP Offline
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the additional snaps and comments, you're a good bunch!

I've always enjoyed collecting the civilian-side of German awards, medals and decorations. Just as their military counterparts, there's so much history behind even the most ordinary of things. Things that were 'alive' in their own way, mute witness to extraordinary times and events. Intangibles that can only be thoroughly understood when taken in a greater context. Science and medicine, the arts, industry, exploration and discovery, religion and politics-at-large and a thousand other nuances that influenced the common man, Joe Average. Exactly the poor guy who gave up his future and life for a cause he could only try to understand, millions of faces with no names, gone unspeakable horrors.

So what did these people enjoy besides regularly and in timely fashion kill each other in huge numbers? Seriously, they enjoyed lots of things, pretty much the same as we do today. They read the paper, joined their clubs, went shopping in the big city on the weekend, visiting and celebrating in art festivals, parades, concerts, Karneval, Oktoberfest, shooting and sporting events and on and on ... and don't forget the Germans were notoriously clever at creating lots of great medals, awards, stickpins and doo-dads to mark each significant and sometimes not-too-significant event. Many of the manufacturing companies who produced the civilian decorations also created the military medals during the years of both World Wars, so they had lots of practice. The designs, casting, enameling and finishing on these is normally first class handwork. Top that off with originality, eye-appeal and modest prices and you can see the attraction.

Best! wink

Bill

Online Content
Bill,

Sorry somehow I missed this post, well that's happening alot lately so I'm going to have a look through the other threads.

These shooting items have such great appeal. I can't tell you how much I enjoy seeing these. Thank you for posting them.

I must have been napping when this post first made it's rounds.
I enjoyed seeing all the awards. I agree that the carnival pieces are colorfull and make an interesting display.

--dj--Joe

<BR>

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,267,731 SS Bayonets
1,764,682 Teno Insignia Set
1,133,714 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Austria bans also 3.Reich items
by kreta1961 - 05/13/2024 12:17 PM
WW2 Australian (RAAF) Liberator Clockwork Movie Camera
by sturmbrigade - 05/12/2024 10:42 PM
Interesting TK ring
by equirhodont - 05/12/2024 04:45 PM
Picture of vertical hanger 48/40
by kreta1961 - 05/12/2024 02:51 PM
FALSE MONEY THREADS
by wotan - 05/09/2024 02:59 PM
Latest New Posts
Big flags! Any flags! Who has them!
by Luftbud - 05/14/2024 07:29 PM
Pipes old and new
by Mikee - 05/14/2024 05:52 PM
Interesting TK ring
by Stephen - 05/14/2024 01:29 PM
Typeface/font used on SA, SS daggers.
by DAMAST - 05/14/2024 02:37 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,678
Posts329,220
Members7,532
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
12 members (The_Collector, Honestmike, Documentalist, Texasuberalles, kreta1961, Stephen, C. Wetzel-20609, Luftbud, Mikee, Vern, Evgeniy, ed773), 563 guests, and 94 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod