Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#253500 10/20/2011 01:00 PM
Skynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
So many folks have netflix streaming these days that its becoming a viable option for certain interests, including historical - Not withstanding their recent price fixes, which sent alot of folks running to the door.

I like it, and my bill actually went down $2 a month when I just cancelled the DVD service and kept streaming.
I thought it might be well to start a thread about some of the material available there.
There are 10,000's of titles, some not all the easy to find with a simple search.

I just watched "Triumph of the Will", pretty damn good I thought. Kinda gives you a birds eye view of a day in the life of Der Fuehrer, as was intended.
You flag lovers have got to drool watching that, never seen so many flags.
Anyhow, thats one of the available to watch for anyone with the service.
Another is "Nietzsche and the Nazis", haven't watched it yet.
Also:

* The Reich Underground - Exploring tunnels systems and such, as they still exist today
* Nazi Medicine / The Cross and the Star - Morbid, no doubt
* The Rape of Europa - Chronicles Nazi plunder of art
* The Architecture of Doom - Explores Nazi pageantry/cultural angles
* Auschwitz: Inside the Nazi State - Multi part series
* The Last Days of World War II - Documentary
* The Goebbels Experiment - Sounds pretty odd
* The True Glory - Another award winning WW2 documentary
* Nuremberg: Tyranny on Trial - history channel
* Battle for Warsaw
* Bombing of Germany: American Experience
* Italian Fascism in Color
* Secrets of War: Nazi Warfare
* The Red Baron
* Search for the Battleship Bismarck - National Geographic

Theres a few, I'll add more as I find them, and of course anyone else is welcome to add.

Doug
Hey Doug,
Thanks for the heads up. My son has Netflix and I was never able to find movies like this. Really appreciate it.

Thanks
Rich

In memory of my loyal companion Nitro.
Skynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
No prob.
Netflix is limited, but still a good resource for some obscure stuff that historical buffs like us enjoy. For $7 a month, hard to go wrong.
Keep in mind that they are always adding new material, and removing things for that matter ... So it pays to do keyword searches on their site every few months or so for new things.

Doug
S
S
I am really a big fan of Netflix which is just great as you can just stream whatever movies you want on demand, and it takes away that hassle of using a separate media player that only work with specific types of storage devices.

Though there are a very limited number of flicks you could get on it but that should not be a problem, actually.

S
S
I wouldn't say 'whatever you want'. They give you all the mediocre movies, but don't have many good movies unless their 10 years old. For example, they have The DaVinci code 2 streaming, but not the original bc they want you to get the mail service too. They'll have season 1 and 2 of some tv shows, but not 3 and 4 unless you pay more.

Von zwei Übeln wählt man besser das, was man schon kennt.
I just watched this movie this evening and would recommend this heartily.

* The Rape of Europa - Chronicles Nazi plunder of art

"This hobby is a continuing education"
Looking for Walther Model 8 #727649
and Walther PP #975557
JoeW #262654 04/02/2012 03:06 PM
G
G

So Joe,, what it is?? out of 4 stars,,a 3?! wink

I love movies/books about the plunder/war booty etc.
A decent book is 'Nazi Plunder' by K.D. Alford.. I'll put the movie on my list!

Gaspare,I would rate it three at least. Most of the material is well known to you I believe. It is based on the book of the same title which is very good also. But the period film makes it special.

I read Alford's book and had the opportunity to meet him and get an autograph on the book at a Max Show some years ago.

Another fascinating book deals with the Romanov Treasure and what happened to it. You had to wonder at the recounting of how the British sovereign George V and his Queen Mary managed to buy so much of the Russian Romanov jewels for next to nothing. What a way to treat your cousins.

"This hobby is a continuing education"
Looking for Walther Model 8 #727649
and Walther PP #975557
JoeW #262675 04/02/2012 07:26 PM
Skynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
I watched one the other day called "A Film Unfinished", was a propaganda documentary made about life in the Warsaw ghetto, which was never released, credited or edited. No period narration, the Germans were apparently minded to show the stark contrasts between those starving and dying in the streets, and the class that was relatively "well to do". Pretty eerie, to say the least, to see an entire population under duress, and out of the 1,000's shown in the film, probably safe to say that very few made it to 1946.
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/A_Film_Unfinished/70129375?trkid=2361637

Doug
R
R
These films always make me question myself about collecting things from such a horrible period in history. I know that we as collectors do not and would not condone such behavior ,it still makes me wonder why there is such an allure to collect these artifacts..

S
S
Because they lost the war after that huge power grab, it was a major turning point in relatively recent history, and of course the rarity due to the fact that they were supposed to be destroyed.

Von zwei Übeln wählt man besser das, was man schon kennt.
Skynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: reds12
These films always make me question myself about collecting things from such a horrible period in history. I know that we as collectors do not and would not condone such behavior ,it still makes me wonder why there is such an allure to collect these artifacts..

Legit concern, I'm sure its been gone over here, and elsewhere, before.
Some are no doubt attracted to having things from "the dark side", others think no more or less of TR than any other historical items.
I think there is probably a mix of both in it for me. I collect WW2 USMC and Imperial Germany as well, but there can be no question about the allure of items bearing the Swastika, whether people want to admit it to themselves or not. When something is declared taboo, it always attracts curiosity and a cult following ,,, And in todays PC age, there is not much of anything more taboo than Nazis in general, or Swastika bearing items in particular.

As far as individual feelings about this, it all boils down to intent & purpose of individuals. If you have no intent to spread NS ideology, or use their items to glorify their dirty deeds, then I think you have nothing to be shamed about. What happened happened, and cannot be erased from history. Trying to do so would, indeed, be a disservice to the victims of radical ideology. "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it", so the saying goes.

Doug

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,631 SS Bayonets
1,760,348 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,798 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Spitzer Stuka Etch Opinions
by RookieSA - 03/29/2024 09:58 AM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Latest New Posts
Spitzer Stuka Etch Opinions
by RookieSA - 03/29/2024 09:58 AM
Luftwaffe Swords
by Luftbud - 03/29/2024 09:21 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Luftbud - 03/29/2024 09:13 AM
Personalized reproduction honor ring source?
by Evgeniy - 03/29/2024 09:02 AM
F Dula with a twist
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 03/28/2024 09:29 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,653
Posts328,715
Members7,502
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
13 members (Don Scowen, Billy G., Documentalist, Honestmike, RookieSA, Simone, Baz69, Vern, Stephen, Luftbud, The_Collector, Browning1900, Evgeniy), 585 guests, and 124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod