Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Larry C Offline OP
OP Offline
This periodic series will include photos from around South Philadelphia in conservation of the city`s rich history and for what the Liberty Bell represents here in this section of the city.
I will also include over time photos from center city.
(Special Note) there will be no Photos from the North or Western part of the city out of protecting my own crack, from injury.
Periodically I will be adding photos and captions of "Serious and not so serious encounters as I travel through some History related places. "A day that passes is a day in History"
Lets take a walk

DSCN0065.JPG (121.93 KB, 182 downloads)

Historical Stewardship is a Trusted Honor that must be kept!
Larry C Offline OP
OP Offline
Our first stop is the famed Genos steaks at 9th & Passyunk,, very renown for their steak sandwiches. people will line up in the street here just to have one of these steak sandwiches. One can tell that most of the customers if not all are tourists coming from all over the country because they never had a steak before.
Having heard of Genos and Pats steaks across the street from each other,, many come here to experience IMO hard to chew and greasy steak sandwiches with cheese whiz. Since many of these new visitors dont live in the surrounding area they know no better that most of the mom and pop shop pizzerias out gun these steak giants.
This area is known for its turn of the century architecture and to this day many of its buildings remain untouched.

DSCN0073.JPG (119.96 KB, 180 downloads)

Larry C Offline OP
OP Offline
Seating is very limited at Genos and many resort to sitting on a wall across from the eatery to enjoy and take a nap if necessary. Here a visitor relaxes and basks in the sun, after eating.

DSCN0074.JPG (118.91 KB, 179 downloads)

Larry C Offline OP
OP Offline
Ah yes the establishment across the street also attracts the visitors, to a frenzied line!

DSCN0071.JPG (119.97 KB, 177 downloads)

Larry C Offline OP
OP Offline
WOW WOW WOW ,,, most of South Philly is like this!!......................full of tourists!!
As you can see parking here is very impossible,, there is just no room at all to navigate. Like when a truck comes down these narrow historic streets and yet can still withstand the weight.

DSCN0072.JPG (117.79 KB, 176 downloads)
Last edited by Siegfried B; 09/24/2011 05:56 PM.

Larry C Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is of special interest a bicycle frame security system that works very well. The U-bolt locking system is the best money can buy,, as you can see it is a great deterrent to thieves looking for bicycle frames. Rest assured the owner will be satisfied to know that his frame will be there when he gets back from his or her Historical walk.

If anyone has photos that they would like to post into "Protect your Crack" walk in History please do.
Thats all for now and later I will post more Crack protecting heritage, of this great city and the Liberty Bell.

DSCN0078.JPG (118.46 KB, 176 downloads)
Last edited by Siegfried B; 09/24/2011 06:08 PM.

My oldest brother went to college in Philly.I'll never forget the 1st time I visited him there,early 70's,and saw a guy get knifed outside of Genos!What a great town!

Hey Larry,
Great pictures. The first time I took my daughter to Temple, (last year) I made a left on Broad Street where I wasn't suppose to and out of nowhere I was cut off into the curb by 3 city cops in there cars. With my wife to my right and daughter in the back seat and my truck loaded with furniture the cop asked where I was going and what was I doing. I looked at the cop and said "ummmmmmmmmmmm, I'm taking my daughter and her furniture to her apartment... He quickly pointed out my mistake and let me go. I'm just glad he didn't shoot me. Those cops don't play around. It's the city of brotherly love...just watch your left turns.

Rich

In memory of my loyal companion Nitro.
Larry C Offline OP
OP Offline
Protect your crack photographer went to visit one of Ole Ben Franklins haunts in South philly. This area Known to have "Glock parties" thats right I said Glock as the photo shows where Ben hangs out behind those bars on the left. Here is home boy Ben jammin with the big tunes powered by his electric discovery. A penny saved is a penny towards a boom box!!

DSCN0170.JPG (120.14 KB, 60 downloads)
DSCN0171_picnik.jpg (121.21 KB, 60 downloads)

Larry C Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is a local little take out place,, but keeps me wondering if they have more to offer by the name of the Restaurant than what they have on the regular menu. I dont think it would be a good ides to see what the Ho`s have to offer. Sometimes the Ho`s seafood menu is a little Risque`. Protect your crack and stay away from Ho`s you dont know wink

DSCN0169.JPG (121.56 KB, 58 downloads)

Larry C Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello Rich Yankowski and Rich Pitbull to the first Rich yea its a great town as nothing has changed since you were here last. The area around Genos is protected now so there are no stabbings,, as the building directly across the street now is a Mob club house. Great town!! I think later i will do a South Philly Mob hit tour. Lots of history with that. To Pitbull you insult the police by saying they will shoot you,, your wrong they will beat you up first...then shoot you. They do have a heart you know! Some of them are leftovers from the Frank Rizzo days and alot of the younger ones are the cowboy types and they are the ones you need to be afraid of. I know you made their day when they drove you into the curb and that was enough for them to leave you alone after that. I have more to come later.

Larry C Offline OP
OP Offline
In collecting edged weapons there is a desirability in having a fine patined example,, giving it an aged or “antiqued” look about it. Below is an example of patination taken from the “Great wall of China” which this marvel was created 200 BC. Time and the elements took its toll on the Great wall as it has drastically changed and patination had no mercy on the Great Wall. Protecting the Heritage of Phillys crack as this wonder ended up 1 block away from Ho`s. It is also a marvel that Ho`s would be so close to the Great wall. Ho`s are everywhere!! Below is a before and after photo of the Great Wall.

wall.jpg (121.49 KB, 65 downloads)
DSCN0177.JPG (106.98 KB, 65 downloads)

Larry C Offline OP
OP Offline
Protect your crack photgrapher, was invited to the windy city of Chicago to experience a cultural difference in an old citys rich history. Philadelphia is represented by the Liberty Bell and the crack that is seen from such a bell. Since Chicago does not have a liberty bell their rich history is protected by a motion picture starlet icon from the past. This is Chicagos Crack that over looks the square and passersby . Inviting them to experience its rich history. Hard to imagine to take care of a figure that size which would be a lot of work. A worker below protects Chicagos Crack in history. Like the statue of liberty this monument protects those from the rain and the elements.

m1.jpg (57.57 KB, 43 downloads)
m2.jpg (52.41 KB, 43 downloads)
m3.jpg (59.52 KB, 43 downloads)
m4.jpg (63.43 KB, 44 downloads)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,264,016 SS Bayonets
1,762,222 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,202 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Latest New Posts
Frog question.
by Vern - 04/20/2024 12:27 AM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/19/2024 09:03 PM
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
HR on Ratisbons auction
by Stephen - 04/19/2024 06:59 AM
Study and learning materials
by Stephen - 04/18/2024 07:41 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,668
Posts329,040
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
8 members (Dean Perdue, Texasuberalles, Jonesy, Dave, Gaspare, Eric26, Vern, Luftbud), 889 guests, and 144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod