Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Alpha24 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I recently purchased this dagger out of a collection and I believe that it is a period piece. The leather covering on the scabbard is professionally done and has been there since 1945 in my opinion. The leather is a smooth dark brown just like the SA High Leader Daggers I have owned. The dagger has a leather washer protecting the lower cross guard, and fits perfectly when the dagger is in the scabbard.
There is a vertical hanger on the dagger that is rather unique and matches the scabbard rather nicely. The horizontal piece of leather has a half circle to match the arch in the upper scabbard fitting. The leather strap securing the dagger has the early elongated ring. There are no markings on the leather hanger or the belt snap. The horiziontal leather has been re stitched to the hanger.
The dagger presents an impressive look to itself and looks great in my collection.

Jim

1A.jpg (10.72 KB, 267 downloads)
1B.jpg (9.83 KB, 267 downloads)
1C.jpg (11.26 KB, 268 downloads)
1D.jpg (13.15 KB, 267 downloads)
1E.jpg (10.65 KB, 267 downloads)
Interesting example. I read years ago that SA cavalry unit members sometimes carried this configuration. Supposedly, the scabbard was covered in leather to keep it from making noise ("clanking") while the horse was in motion. The hanger on this one looks as though it could have been used by the cavalry. However, it would seem covering the scabbard with leather seems like a good idea if the dagger were carried in any combat situation to reduce noise. I suppose the possibility exists that the leather was added as an alternative to repainting a well-worn scabbard finish. Looking the combination here, it would seem likely the total configuration points to combat, training or competition purposes. In addition to what's noted above, the leather would help with light discipline and possibly would add a bit of comfort from bouncing against the hip. After all is said and done, it will likely remain one of the many unanswered mysteries of Third Reich weaponry.

J
J
Jim . thanks for showing us.
I like this dagger. very nice catch.
I've seen a few other odd ball hangers that also seemed period.
one was a frog style ,which later was like the kind found on the npea school student daggers.
any how thanks for showing us this "non text book" example.
jeff

This example shows a better craftmanship with the leather compared to the previously seen example. Since I am not to familiar with this type of example,, I am still leary of it ( the leather covering),,,regardless,,Grumpys analysis makes sense, But only if it was carried in a Non combat situation,, and I also agree with them being carried in a calvary unit. I still have not seen any period photos of any SS or SA dagger being carried in Battle. There was a thread about this some time ago.
Unlike a Hitler youth knife,(which is also political) the SA /SS dagger was issued unsharpened and has no real intent,, except in a last ditch back to the wall effort to escape a near death encounter,,"Locally". They are pointed "Yes". But as a survival or utility knife,, like the HJ ,, I dont think so.
It was Hitlers idea to recreate into what the Romans wore and show a solidarity among the men,,being as "One"
The SA/SS dagger IMO was more of a dress sidearm than a useful tool or a weapon.
Interesting hanger and it looks like the owner or whoever,, chose to put an unnecessary leather weasher against the lower crossguard, but it looks period.
What is the Group mark on the lower reverse crossguard? Regards Larry

Last edited by Siegfried B; 08/25/2011 12:28 PM.

Historical Stewardship is a Trusted Honor that must be kept!
H
H
Granted I dont know what alot of you folks know about daggers. But I have seen periode pics of russian soldier wearing a captured SS Chained. And I recently acquired a vet picked up SA, a early maker that has a factory edge. I wonder just how many men met there deaths by a dagger. I picture them in use on the night of the long knives.....

Neat scabbard. Very nice find! Thanks for showing us.

Ive set a goal......find a FHH and buy it from a vet.
While I’ve seen British Army cavalry steel sword scabbards that were wrapped in leather for field operations, I can’t say that was a normal German practice for either the cavalry or infantry. And for the British scabbards they were completely covered in leather, and almost invariably seem to have rusting underneath the leather.

So if I have some issues here, the first might be with how the cavalry was usually armed in that time period. With (besides rifles and bayonets) the Weimar/Reichswehr era cavalry carrying a sword leftover from WW I (the WW II version of it is pictured). With the second being the fact that the upper and lower N/S metal mounts are bare. With especially the noticeably reflective lower mount being fully exposed and susceptible to banging around and making noise (if the leather was supposed to be intended to be for those purposes). And then there is the idea of a dagger in combat dangling around at the end of a small fairly narrow strap (by either cavalry or infantry). Which does not seem to me to be what they might actually use for combat operations. With the fighting type swords generally attached to the saddles. And bayonets in frogs that were well attached to reasonably sturdy belts.

But that’s just my own personal perspective on it, as a collector of both combat arms and dress items. FP

n:A M1856 Artilleriesäbel.jpg (49.43 KB, 125 downloads)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,265,935 SS Bayonets
1,763,204 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,914 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Postwar Military PCs.
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 01:22 AM
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by Vik - 04/23/2024 02:22 PM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Gaspare - 04/23/2024 02:00 AM
S-98 nA. Bayonet
by lakesidetrader - 04/22/2024 01:57 PM
Latest New Posts
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/27/2024 10:15 PM
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/27/2024 04:45 PM
Rings & Things for the MAX
by Stephen - 04/27/2024 08:19 AM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Ric Ferrari - 04/26/2024 05:52 PM
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,670
Posts329,077
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
9 members (Dave, C. Wetzel-20609, Fitzer, ed773, seany, Billy G., atis, Documentalist, The_Collector), 623 guests, and 80 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod