Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Oleg1 Offline OP
OP Offline
I remember a few years ago this site was very active, now, however, it looks almost dead. Is it just me or what? What are some of the more active sites out there where things auctually are sold and bought? Any suggestions?

R
R
been talked about alot i posted the same thing a bit ago certain people just killed it

Online Content
Last month we had 1.5 million page views. We see lots of searches and reference look-ups, but not a lot of new posts. Not sure how to pump up the activity but we see lots of visits.

[Linked Image from germandaggers.com]
Visit us at www.GermanDaggers.com
Contact me at Vern@GermanDaggers.com
G
G
There's nothing to kill,, it's slow all over.
WAF has more posts but many of them are nonsense and fooling around.. 2 forum sites closed this past year,,and more international forums opened up and there isn't as much cash floating around all = a big slow down.

Our hobby is taking a 'Time Out'..
Many of our countries economies are doing bad , many of us either don't have money for collectibles, or just hold on to it and buy wiser now..
And, for some of us with a big show like the SOS coming up it gets even quieter around here until after the show.. Our hobby certainly is changing though..........

Things go in cycles sometimes, and I'm sure you'd agree that it would be pretty tacky to start recommending alternatives.
Most folks know that there are other forums that cater to the same interest, doesn't take that much effort to find them.

Some of the reasons why traffic here has declined have been spun around and discussed ad nauseum - It remains a great resource and viable TR forum.

Doug
I used much more often in the forum to find the necessary information to me. the new version of the forum I can not use the search function and I have to increasingly look for information on the WAF and other forums. I think that one reason is technical.

Online Content
I usually use the "Advanced Search" option on the "Search" button at the top of the page and haven't had any problems. Several people have reported problems using the search, but it was simple to fix. The simple "Search" only looks at posts from the last couple of weeks. In the "Advanced Search", you have to set your "search range" or it just looks at posts from the last week. By changing the range, you can search back through all the posts.

Edit : I was doing something stoopid smile

Last edited by Degens; 02/11/2011 11:35 PM.
Online Content
OK, searching for "army damascus" returns results for both words as the search function uses "either/or" for it's word match. Using just "damascus" in subject line, selecting "Army/Luft Forum" as the forum to search, and setting date for posts within 1 year, I got 28 posts in 3 topics. Putting quotes around "Army Damascus" for the same search resulted in 4 posts in 1 topic, as the subject words had to appear together and capitalized. Give it a try wink

Originally Posted By: Vern
I usually use the "Advanced Search" option on the "Search" button at the top of the page and haven't had any problems. In the "Advanced Search", you have to set your "search range" or it just looks at posts from the last week. By changing the range, you can search back through all the posts.

Technically, not ALL of the posts . . . it seems you cannot go back more than 1 year - so when will all the old "archived" items come back? That would be the most valuable info still to be found here . . . and still not available.

Reply: The specified date range is too wide. The maximum date range you can search with is 1 year

Last edited by N.C. Wyeth; 02/12/2011 06:58 AM.

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have . . . .
I would post more if the change in the photo program was made. I hope this gets done soon as I have heard from others that this is one of the main reasons that many do not post anymore.

MAX CHARTER MEMBER

LIFE MEMBER OVMS
Online Content
You can only search for posts 1 year at a time but the posts are available back to 2006. The "lost" archived posts are the ones prior to 2006. I have been looking at the older posts and working with a few others to develop a method of converting and reloading them. One problem that jumps up immediately is that many of the early post photos were actually links to other web pages or photo hosting services. These photos are gone and can not be recovered since they were never loaded to GDC.

The automatic re-size photo ability is in the next software update, but it is currently being tested. Our limit is currently set at 125KB. What is the limit where you are posting?

Oleg1 Offline OP
OP Offline
anyone has any suggestions where I can sell some of my daggers and get best selling price? I am collecting firearms now and have a lot of daggers that I want to sell. One option would be a Russian forums (I am Russian ) and I would be ablle to get a good price but I want the daggers to stay in US. This For Sale section is almost dead and nothing sells from what I can see. So any opinions? Wish I could post on E bay, I remember a few years ago they went for a good price, but now e bay not allowing WWII daggers for sale. What some of the collectrors experiences are when they want to sell something? I do not want to talk to the dealers and pay them 20% premeums. They do not deserve it. I want ot find a site where I can post myself and sell for a FMV. Let me know your opinions.
Regards to all.

Oleg:

Your options are:

1) Sell to dealers and get about 60-70% of the retail price they will be charging for the items.

2) You can consign the items to a dealer (I have done so with Tom W and Paul Hogle and know that Tom J is just as good and honourable) and pay them 10-20% (usually 20%, but for a lot of good items, you can make a deal) of the selling price which you determine.

3) Sell on forums or e-bay or craigslist (GDC, WAF are both good .. but slow especially right now). But keep in mind that collectors buying from collectors will generally not want to pay the retail prices that they might pay to dealers with reputations and COAs and full return policies.

The prices that one sees on dealer sites will never be the ones that you can sell your items for. The best return on good items is to try to sell directly to other collectors or via the forums that you are a member of.

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
B
B
Oleg1
Send me a list of what you have for sale.E-mail to:
bgrelics@charter.net
thanks
Bob
You are right about selling on this forum. I try to keep my prices lower then the next guy, they still do not sell, or I get crazy offers, sometimes less then what I have paid veterans.
thanks
Bob

robert grant
JR Offline
Vern, I have a question. When I click on someone's name or even my own, there is an option to "view posts" by this person. This option is also listed in their preferences. How come it always says that this member has no posts even though they do in fact ? Thanks in advance.

I agree, things are selling tough these days.
Folks are practically looking for sellers to give stuff away, so there simply must be a point when you say "This far, and no further" and just let it lapse.
I have 3 items up as I speak that I am doing just that with.
Back into the collection, without any fanfare, perhaps try again with success another day, or make a package deal, that amounts to about the same, with unsold items.

Don't really think the tough selling climate is forum specific here, though of course the drop in posting signifies a drop in forum population, which translates to fewer people viewing sales, and few potential buyers.
As they say, "things are tough all over", and I don't think the odds are greatly increased at more populated forums.

Doug
Online Content
Hi JR. You're the third person who has reported this problem. I'm looking into it but haven't found anything yet. I may have to turn in a problem report to tech support wink

G
G
Vern , its been like that since the new start here,,also the Search function as a whole doesn't work so good..

My "view posts" function works just fine

Doug
Online Content
Gaspare, I'll add you to the "View Posts" problem list. You're the fourth person with this problem. If you give an example of the search problems, I'll check them out.

Yes, I understood about search function. For me it is very important to have information search possibility in a range of more than 1 year.

Oleg,

I still think that this is a good site to sell your items. As has been said, the problem is the economy. People do not have as much cash available for the hobby right now (they have to pay bills and eat first!), and those that do have some cash know that prices are down due to lower demand. Ebay was better when they allowed 3rd Reich stuff, but the economy was better then as well. I would buy some things, but I know that prices are down now, and will not pay as much now as I have in the past. The answer is to hold off until the economy is better, and prices are higher, or sell now for as much as you can get.

This is still a good site, sales are just off all over.

Chief

Last edited by Chief; 02/14/2011 04:52 PM.

"Gott Zur Ehr Dem N�chsten Zur Wehr"
A
A
I just tried the view posts option as well. And like others it comes up with no posts.
Jim

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,590 SS Bayonets
1,760,329 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,790 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
Personalized reproduction honor ring source?
by Gaspare - 03/29/2024 02:45 AM
F Dula with a twist
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 03/28/2024 09:29 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/28/2024 06:18 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,709
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
4 members (benten, polop, Sasha, bushido), 583 guests, and 85 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod