Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Personally I was not too keen on these colored eagles but this one looks pretty good to me.
The decal matches the age of the helmet.
It was oversprayed with dark blue parade paint.
Both decals were covered, the green decal was put on top of the over paint
This helmet comes directly from the vet's son.

So what do you guys think?

MVC-180E.JPG (12.25 KB, 527 downloads)
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

MVC-181E.JPG (13.13 KB, 526 downloads)
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

MVC-182E.JPG (12.56 KB, 522 downloads)
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

MVC-183E.JPG (12.11 KB, 519 downloads)
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

MVC-184E.JPG (12.07 KB, 516 downloads)
G
G
Eek thats a subdued 2nd pattern if its real its a rare one there aint many helmets with that first ive seen applied on a helmet

great find if its real

Wow.....I have heard both pro and con on these. I hope this one is a real one.

Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentum.
G
G
to Controversial for your collection matt but it sure would look great next to my new m35 lufty find just send it over when youve looked at it enough Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Hello Matt,

Looks like a brother to mine. Smile

I like it.

Best regards.

Jim

O
O
Looks good to me as well. Over the years, reports by old-time collectors of these green birds suggests at least a few made it out of the war. This example could be one.

Cody

Right as Rain!

Always Looking for Quality US Airborne items. [email protected]
P
P
I'm no expert but just 4 years ago, I bought a very nice DD M35 Luft helmet from a friend of mine that had the so-called "subdued" eagle.
Everyone on the forum told me that it was a well known fake and that subdued eagle never existed.
Sold it back as being fake for only 250$ USD.
Damned, I should've kept it now that it is considered to be original. Wink
Very strange how things can change in this hobby ?
Some things are fake one day and are then original the next day ?
Go figured ! Confused

O
O
quote:
Originally posted by Pat:
I'm no expert but just 4 years ago, I bought a very nice DD M35 Luft helmet from a friend of mine that had the so-called "subdued" eagle.
Everyone on the forum told me that it was a well known fake and that subdued eagle never existed.
Sold it back as being fake for only 250$ USD.
Damned, I should've kept it now that it is considered to be original. Wink
Very strange how things can change in this hobby ?
Some things are fake one day and are then original the next day ?
Go figured ! Confused

Pat,

General consensus among helmet collectors regards the majority, but certainly not all, unapplied green Luftwaffe decals to have been applied post-war. The green decals were brought back from the war in quantity by returning GI's as there were far more unapplied green birds available than the standard-issue white.

Cody

M
M
i'm a non believer,

IMO postwar aplied, but a long time ago,

Marc

P
P
I was reading couple of threads on the "subdued" decals on the WA forum and they said that these were supposely made toward the end of the war ( for the believers that is ).
If this is the case, how could such a "green" decal be on an early M35 ?

"Terra Incognita". Confused

quote:
I was reading couple of threads on the "subdued" decals on the WA forum and they said that these were supposely made toward the end of the war ( for the believers that is ).

Hello Pat,

I'm a believer and I never said they were applied late in the war. (Maybe some where.)

This is one area where you have to make up your own mind based on the little information available and "gut" feelings.

Best regards.

Jim

quote:
Originally posted by Jim McCauley:
quote:

Hello Pat,

I'm a believer and I never said they were made/applied late in the war. (Maybe some where.)

This is one area where you have to make up your own mind based on the little information available and "gut" feelings.

Best regards.

Jim

P
P
It is indeed a very controversial field of expertise.
Like I said previously, I cannot really comment 'cause I have no knowledge about helmets in general.
I've only been collecting edged weapons and badges.
Just out of curiousity, is there any photographic or period literature evidence on these "subdued" eagles ?

T
T
quote:

The tricolor has been painted over, so it's probably a (late war?) reissue. Then this decal can appear on an M35...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Green Luftwaffe decals..........I'm still not convinced. But I'm leaning slightly in the direction that they were applied in the latter stages in the war. At the S.O.S. this past Feb., I was looking at a very late FJ helmet with RBN liner, aluminum slotted bolts, and it had this green decal applied. As I was handling it, Kelly Hicks walked up and asked to see it. I asked him what were his thoughts about the green decal. He said it was 100% original. He said he knew somebody who had two of these helmets. But after reading threads on these helmet forums, he was swayed into thinking these were fake. So he went ahead and scraped off both decals. Remember the first helmet forum on yahoo? The old Brian Bell helmet forum. There was a member from California who had several M35 Luft. helmets with green and blue decals. They were all in near mint condition. At that time, that sent up a red flag for me. So...........were they applied during the war? Maybe yes, maybe no. Each individual has to make up his or her own decision on the matter. To me, I still use the old tried and true "gut" method. My "gut" is still alittle qweezy on this decal.

J
J
I've never owned one and never will!!! Jerry

jerry
G
G
just to clear it up
the subdued 2nd pattern was applied to helmets during the war but in very limited numbers they.they also applied a 1st pattern in gold for officers i have only ever seen one of these in the imperial war museum in london.
matt the decal you have is original in so much as its colour and i rekon you have quite a rare helmet there as so many green decals were considered fake they were scraped off.
keep it and treasure it Wink

S
S
lets say those decals are late-war. Shouldn't the helmet be a late-war reissue with rough paint instead of smooth paint ?

M
M
people,

why would they apply these decals when they already gave up applying them.
IMO these decals were produce, because the previous ones were a sharpshooters aiming spot.
because of the order which forbid to apply decals anymore, these sheets went into storage, till some GI tooke them out and enhanced the ND examples

Marc

You would think then that original unapplied decals would have shown up at some point.

JERRY
GDC GOLD #0213

www.militarycollectorsHQ.com
There was a thread about a year ago where current photos of said decals were posted.
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Jerry:
You would think then that original unapplied decals would have shown up at some point.

SSTK Oberbayern
Jerry,
It is common knowledge among FJ collectors that these blue/green decals found on a late-war, minty FJ helmets are almost always post-war applied. There is a London-US partnership that was applying them to late war para helmets 10-15 years ago.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,267,442 SS Bayonets
1,764,461 Teno Insignia Set
1,133,195 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
FALSE MONEY THREADS
by wotan - 05/09/2024 02:59 PM
Latest New Posts
Spitzer Stuka Etch Opinions
by Von Ryan - 05/10/2024 07:12 PM
Big flags! Any flags! Who has them!
by Cameron - 05/10/2024 04:44 PM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Ric Ferrari - 05/10/2024 09:39 AM
SS honor ring. 1936.
by Tanker - 05/09/2024 11:49 PM
Period Dies
by Ric Ferrari - 05/09/2024 10:02 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,695
Posts329,194
Members7,531
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
10 members (Jonesy, Von Ryan, Tanker, Stephen, den70, Evgeniy, Dave, The_Collector, Documentalist, ed773), 640 guests, and 114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod