Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Got these group of about 50 photos from a SS-musicians who first was assigned to Standarte 47, Gera as a SS-musician. Later he was assigned to SS-Musik-Zug II, SS-Standarte 1 M�nchen, which became SS-Standarte Deutschland later. At this time, the SS-Musik-Zug was located in Dachau.
When the war began, he was assigned to SS-Regiment "Der F�hrer" and, unfortunately, was killed in action in 1941.

1.) SS-Musiker Xaver Glenk, SS-Standarte 47

2.) Another comrade of Xaver

3.) SS-Musik-Zug in training

There is a very interesting detail in this photo - let's see if You have good eyes.
What is of special interest here ?

4.) More training

5.) At some other time, Xaver Glenk was assigned to SS-Oberabschnitt Donau. Blank collar-tab.

6.) 1935 he was assigned to SS-Standarte Deutschland

7.) A comrade musician

8.) The SS-Band played on various events and locations

9.) One important event was the funeral of Julius Schreck, who died in a car crash 1937.
These photos are extremely interesting to me, as I have other photos in an album from that same day.

Before the funeral:

March to the cemetary

The coffin of Julius Schreck

Now more photos of the events when the Musik-Zug was playing and marching, some are from N�rnberg party-rallys.

10.)

11.) This is a large hall in the Dachau barracks, note that behind the walls, left and right, are the rooms where the soldiers had their beds and lockers.

The SS-men in the back are all from Totenkopf-Standarte Oberbayern

12.) In Munich the new barracks for the SS-Standarte Deutschland, built in 1938

13.) An interesting memorial, the inscription says:

" Den unbekannten SS-M�nnern. 25. Juli 1934 "
" To the unknown SS-men ..."

Don't know where that memorial stood, maybe inside the barracks.

14.) Another nice shot from above

15.) More events:

16.) Of course there are also photos from leaders and personalities:

17.) And one very special photo of Heinrich Himmler

18.) Only very few photos from the war, Glenk was assigned to SS-Regiment DF and took part in the french campaign

19.) A (super-rare) postcard he wrote home to his parents

20.) An earlier postcard from his brother, tells us the address of the Musik-Zug

21.) And finally his grave

22.) And a postcard that a friend send to his parents to say how sorry he is about the death of their son

END OF PHOTOS HERE.

Of course they were not cheap, but affordable.
Those of You who know me and know what I have and where I am from ( born in Dachau ), will for sure understand, that this group of photos was an absolute "MUST-HAVE-THEM" for me.

I hope You enjoyed the show.

And don't forget - what is interesting in photo No. 3 ??

Kind regards

Robert

GDC - member # 153
Fabolous photos Robert! Thanks for sharing.

Regarding photo nr.3 , is it the guy(s) with HJ armband or the beer-glasses on the ground?? Big Grin

Ulf.

S
S
SmileTerrific pics ,just love em.Wonder where all these uniforms disappeared to??
Pic 3:Look like kids in the school band???HJ brassard?
Thanks for them.Hope you have more.
Seiler (Yank in UK)

OP Offline
Yes, I mean the HJ-armbands. There are three or four young boys in that band, too young for a membership in the SS, for sure. But they wear full dress SS uniforms, with the exception that they wear HJ-armbands.
I think that is quite unusual for that time.

We know of soldiers of the 12th SS Panzerdivision Hitlerjugend, later in 1944, who wore their HJ-armbands together with their SS-uniforms.
But they WERE soldiers.
These young bandsmen can not be full SS members.

Kind regards
Robert

GDC - member # 153
G
G
Totenkopfs on drums,,, Rare trumpet banners,,, unknown SS-men memorial,,, Borman in that Hess photo,,,and the icing on the cake for me, the shot of Julius Schrecks coffin!..

A great lot,,glad you own them,,and shared them with us! Thanks, G.

Z
Z
Robert,That was like a trip in a time machine.Oh thoses SS men and their TOTENKOPFS ie the one on the big drum on one of the last photos.Much more unusual than a HJ arm band.(:}X

"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to relive it" Santayana
Robert, really wonderful and interesting pics. somehow comparable with the musicans pics of the WEITZEL album. Thank you for showing these pieces of history.
Just in case you are interested, pic 15 from top shows the Musikzug at the austrian parliament (side from the main entrance ramp).

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
Robert,

Really a wonderful find, exceptional images!

I'm glad it was you that got them - an outstanding addition to your collection.

Are you coming to visit us in Pittsburgh this year? Smile

Sincere best regards!

Bill

Hi Robert,

Well, my friend...you have really outdone yourself with this set of photos. Absolutely outstanding! All the images are of great interest but as you probably know, I really like the helmet shots...especially of the early VT helmets.

Thanks for letting us view them.

Cheers,

Darryl
B
B
Outstanding photo album Robert. Thanks for sharing those never before seen photos of the early SS.

"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow"
-Cross of Iron
B
B
Robert-
I was immediately taken by the youthful faces of some of the young men in band picture #3. Only after taking a second look did I notice the HJ armbands. A frind of mine has a period Allgemeine uniform that is child sized. Now, there is an apparent answer to why a child sized black uniform thanks to your photos.
Bob

"A man needs to know his limitations" Dirty Harry
Gold Badge #263
A Photoalbum of German historical evidence ! What a great find! Very interesting to see all this different details, like the Pol. Bereitschaften cufftitle "Donau", the huge belt buckle style emblem on the fence, and many black tunic w/o a cufftitle and more & more !

The family Gleng is from the city Ellingen close to the city Weissenburg. I think the early musician pictures are taken also some where in Franconia as I connect it with the brewery sign on the window shutter. This brewery still exists in the city Riedbach (between Schweinfurt & Bamberg) and is now in its 6th generation of beer brewing.

Check out this link with the music of Franconian nature: http://www.riedbacher.de/index_flash.htm

but for now enough about the beer ...

Many thanks for sharing Robert !

wappenalt.jpg (36.25 KB, 437 downloads)
D
D
Thank you Robert,
I have being trying to precisely locate that building with the large eagle and swastika within the Dachau Ubungslager complex for ages. the inclusion of the tower solves it for me.
The memorial is to Austrian SS men killed during the abortive putsch of 1934 and so it almost certainly within the confines of the Dachau complex where the SS men who fled Austria were billeted.
Thanks again for the marvellous collection of images.
Derek
P.S. The HJ young men are SS-Anwarter (probationary members) prior to receiving their SS insignia.

outstanding Robert!

H
H
Incredible, as always!..that Donau cufftitle..wow..amazing..it's your photos over the years that have many times revived my interest in this hobby..thanks again

OP Offline
Thanks for all the kind words. I am really very happy with these photos.

Derek, thank You for the location of the memorial, that makes sense. And the building behind the memorial is exactly in the style of the buildings in the Dachau barracks.

Robert, I have to try out that beer. Franken is well known for its superb brewerys.

As an addition to the photo of Schreck's funeral, here is the other photo, which comes from my Deutschland photo album:

Kind regards
Robert

P.S.:

Bill - is the MAX again in Pittsburgh this year ??

GDC - member # 153
Robert, another great find! We all collect the regalia, but it is truly the photographs from the period that makes history come alive and, sometimes, really gives us the best information about the items. I think this is a key to the future reference books and have used many original NPEA School photos in my latest work.
Ron Weinand
Weinand Militaria

MAX CHARTER MEMBER

LIFE MEMBER OVMS
P
P
Robert,
The album is truly awesome. What more cold anyone ask for DE Standards, Schellenbaum, unseen trumpet and kettledrum banners. Are there anymore photos in the book with either the kettle drum or trumpet banners visible? Wow!!

D
D
Robert,
I can confirm that location, here is a shot of a ceremony in the Uebungslager taken in 1938. There is the memorial with a bit more greenery around it.
The Himmler, Hess visit must be May, 1935.
Derek

dach.jpg (44.42 KB, 383 downloads)
L
L
Great pictures as always.. Is it possible to see a detail of the DE-Standarte 'M�nchen II', and the 'Alte Kampfer' with the Sto�trupp AH cufftitle?

Best,

Laurens

I
I
Absolutely terrific, Robert. I only hope you've digitized your collection and stored it off-site "just in case."

That Donau CT in plain script is for sure a wowser; never has one been published, nie?

Also a fine thing to see: the evolution of the SS caps. In one is the Tellerform which is something many SS men thought sort of "****y" -- since in another shot around the same period, more or less, everyone's wearing the caps with "wires out!"

Also, why is our late hero the only one in the pic of the musicians at the Bierstube wearing the kepi - (which is regulation wear with brown shirt) while all his mates are violating regulations? Must be the short transition period before the black tunic was intro'd. (1933 I think). Still, unusual maybe to see so many guys at once in this uniform....

Anyway, Deep bow for posting this remarkable series.

I
I
Hey Admin:

Since when was "****" or its adverbial version censor-worthy?

I mean, weren't SS men entitled to think their "wired" caps were kind of dumblooking or old-fashioned compared to the cool wireless ones?

I don't get the bleeping.

D
D
Inimicus,
You are right that the visor cap was originally not to be worn with the brown shirt, but after June 1934, when the SS separated from the SA, the regulation was changed and both hats were allowed. So, the shot was likely taken during the summer of 1934 when all three uniform versions seen here were regulation.
The rarity of pictures of the SS-Oberabschnitte Donau cuff title being worn is no doubt due to this Oberabschnitte being disbanded in November 1934 and not re-activated until 1938.
Derek

This salvo of pix rates a solid 10 points on the goosebump scale Robert, so great to see! Thanks!

Robert

We are the hollow men, we are the stuffed men...leaning together, headpiece filled with straw. Alas!--T.S. Eliot 1925
Lovely period images of SS1 bandsmen and their instruments,great to see the postings,luckily some of these items have survived!,,, Stephen

zzzzzzzx.jpg (60.07 KB, 274 downloads)
I
I
Cheers Derek.

One wonders what else is en route to enthusiast hands from the former East Bloc.

I hear some holdings in archives and librari4es there and in Russia are being "de-accessioned" - one way or another!

A real feast for the eyes, as usual, Robert.

Just FYI on Julius Schreck- I've always read that cause of death was cerebrospinal meningitis, of which he expired on 16. May 1936.

3rd photo under "16.)", from left to right: Oswald Pohl, HH, Karl Wolff, and Walter Schmitt.

17.) After HH, left to right are Walter Kr�ger (the future SS-Ogruf.u.Gen.d.W-SS + recipient of the Schwertern), Karl Wolff, and Walter Schmitt.

Best wishes,
~ Mike

Axis Biographical Research
at www.geocities.com/~orion47 (an apolitical military history site)
D
D
Michael,
In #16 can you tell who the officer in grey is to the left of Pohl?
Derek

A
A
Derek:
1935 for the Himmler-Hess photo? Please note that Himmler is wearing an SS degen!
Jim

D
D
Jim,
Sorry, I emailed Robert but forgot to post my correction to that date, it was May 8, 1936 that Himmler visited Dachau with Hess. The Deutschland cuff title on the right of that shot also points to my error, as does the eagle on Himmler's cap.
derek

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,266,513 SS Bayonets
1,764,009 Teno Insignia Set
1,132,630 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
AWS Alcoso quality tag
by BretVanSant - 05/03/2024 04:08 AM
Site Down
by Vern - 05/02/2024 11:55 PM
Pipes old and new
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 09:40 PM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Stephen - 05/01/2024 12:40 PM
Latest New Posts
Pipes old and new
by Mikee - 05/05/2024 06:26 AM
Some Motorcycles:
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 05/05/2024 02:27 AM
Imperial Graphic Arts ...
by derjager - 05/05/2024 12:16 AM
AWS Alcoso quality tag
by BretVanSant - 05/04/2024 11:51 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,669
Posts329,117
Members7,524
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
7 members (Don Scowen, jean, Documentalist, Stephen, Baz69, Mikee, Evgeniy), 643 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod