Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
C
quote:
Originally posted by jim m:
I am in the process of re-blueing an old Remington Model 121 Fieldmaster. This IMO is one of the finest pump 22 cal rifles ever made. While this 60 year old gun is in sound shooting condition the remaining finish consists of faded blueing and rust. Obviously the previous owner(s) neglected it.
I suppose I could have just left it looking like a piece of crap and if it was just slightly worn instead of showing "honest wear" that's exactly what I'd do. However it's well past that point. Cars of historical value are restored all the time and this usually increases their value as well as preserving a piece of history.
Jim
Actually, I think we are in complete agreement. Rust is not patina. Active rust, of course, must be stopped. If the rust is inactive, then it would depend on the rarity of the item. If it was a rifle belonging to Thomas Jefferson, I would say leave it alone.

If I had this dagger before Ailsby had gotten ahold of it, I would have definitely left it alone except for a coat of Renwax.

N
N
quote:
Originally posted by Andy Van:
All I have to say is that this Ailsby scumbag is the luckiest guy in the world......If he would have done this to me at the very least I would have crossed the pond and kick the sh.t out of him, stolen a bunch of his stuff and dropped it in the Thames. Crooks don't call the police...You know what if you buy the ticket I'd be glad to do it for you...Send me a PM I haven't been on vacation for a while.

Have you seen that Guys collection Eek don't drop it in the Thames mate, send it to me, I promise I won't say anything, in fact I'll agree to buy it off you, then once I have it I'll bugger off without paying and go live on an Island somewhere. Big Grin Wink

Guns Mr Nolan, I see no Guns!
A
A
quote:
Posted 15 December 2009 17:25 Hide Post
quote:
I am in the process of re-blueing an old Remington Model 121 Fieldmaster. This IMO is one of the finest pump 22 cal rifles ever made. While this 60 year old gun is in sound shooting condition the remaining finish consists of faded blueing and rust. Obviously the previous owner(s) neglected it.
I suppose I could have just left it looking like a piece of crap and if it was just slightly worn instead of showing "honest wear" that's exactly what I'd do. However it's well past that point. Cars of historical value are restored all the time and this usually increases their value as well as preserving a piece of history.
Jim
Actually, I think we are in complete agreement. Rust is not patina. Active rust, of course, must be stopped. If the rust is inactive, then it would depend on the rarity of the item. If it was a rifle belonging to Thomas Jefferson, I would say leave it alone.

quote:

If I had this dagger before Ailsby had gotten ahold of it, I would have definitely left it alone except for a coat of Renwax.

We are in agreement Cool
Jim

Guys, it has already been established, by mongo himself, that mongo altered the dagger, not Ailsby.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if this is going to be endlessly debated, we might as well at least be accurate.

Doug
A
A
This is going to get jucier than a daytime soap:

Original Owner" I sold this dagger in original condition and I want it back that way or the equivelent value in cash!" Frown

C Ailsby: "I sold this dagger in original condition and I'm off the hook due to the fact that it's been degraded by over restoration" Roll Eyes

Mongo "Aah screw it. I'll just go buy another Ferrari!". Big Grin Big Grin
Jim

B
B
Edited for language.

R
R
quote:
This is going to get jucier than a daytime soap:

Original Owner" I sold this dagger in original condition and I want it back that way or the equivelent value in cash!" Frown

C Ailsby: "I sold this dagger in original condition and I'm off the hook due to the fact that it's been degraded by over restoration" Roll Eyes

Mongo "Aah screw it. I'll just go buy another Ferrari!". Big Grin Big Grin
Jim

Yeah I totally agree. I was reading the posts every night with a beer over at the WAF until they closed the thread. Supposedly for legal reasons. Oh well. Cheers, Raul

OP Offline
To be honest Ferraris are over rated, I have had two and they are unreliable, stink of fuel when you start them and burn clutches like most fires burn wood.

I have a Porsche Turbo at the moment and it is a lovely car! also working on an 800BHP nissan project show car that uses NOS.

http://www.project300tt.com/ I have not updated the site for a bit, but have a look under mechanicals to see what is just going under the bonnet.

Apart from expensive cars my other love in life is expensive lawyers Big Grin .

A
A
Hey Mongo:
I knew your thoughts on Ferraris but under the circumstances I felt my comment was appropriate. Roll Eyes Do you have a law firm on retainer? Big Grin Wink
Jim

Nasty looking beast.Keep us updated.

You know you're over the hill when "Happy Hour" means Nap Time

OP Offline
The Honor Dagger matter has now been sorted out Smile. I can honestly say it has been very stressful, and although I would not want to play "piggy in the middle again" it got this whole mess sorted out.

Cut a very long story short, as well as leaving out all the nasty details, Chris wired me the money today. In exchange he got a legal undertaking stating the matter was fully settled that Matt had drawn up. I confirmed I had the cash, rushed down the bank drew it out and sent the maximum allowable (£5000) five minutes later by western union. Because the western union charges were £185 Mad and Matt paid for the legal letter I paid the charges on top out of my own money as a good will gesture. And will do the same with his remaining money on Monday.

But rest assured that all the cash is either in the US right now or in my possesion. On top of that good title has been restored and I think everyone will be having a drink tonight.

Matt is a really nice guy and im pleased he has now got his money Smile. I still have the dagger and the satisfaction of knowing he got paid, and Chris has his legal undertaking that the whole thing is concluded now and his obligations are settled.

Shame it ever got in such a mess to start with, but at least everyones legal positions are concluded. And Matt got his money this side of Christmas Razz.

OP Offline
Jim you are nearly right about my Lawyers, but on the upside maybe this hobby needed cleaning up a bit Roll Eyes. And lets just say having a reputatation for going the whole way and having the money to do it with might have played a factor in helping things along here Eek.

D
D
Chris' rep is still ****.

Thats great news mongobongo Wink, glad it all got sorted out in the end mate Cool

Merry Xmas & All The Best For 2010

Regards Scott.

Hi Mongo i am so glad you got this mess finally sorted and managed to keep the dagger.
A Happy christmas for all concerned.

Sean
P.S.

will we be seeing this car at santa pod next year Smile

Regards Sean
and I thought I had already seen "The Great Escape" Roll Eyes

MAX & OVMS Life Member, MAX Bd. of Experts. GDC Platinum Dealer. Collector since 1955.
As I stated in this thread and on that OTHER forum, this is the best of all possible outcomes:

1) Mongo gets to keep the dagger and any issues about its modifications or reworking are his to enjoy.

2) Matt gets way more money than he had originally expected and doesn't have to worry about going through this again with a dagger that has had so much publicity, good and bad.

3) Chris doesn't get to profit from this fiasco and now has the grounds of doing right to start rebuilding his lost reputation and credibility.

Good news all around and a very and well-deserved Merry Christmas to all.

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
OP Offline
Matt got the amount he and chris agreed on, not what I paid for the piece.

I'm glad that everything has been worked but it's a shame that it happened at all.

C
C
quote:
Originally posted by Skynyrd:
Guys, it has already been established, by mongo himself, that mongo altered the dagger, not Ailsby.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if this is going to be endlessly debated, we might as well at least be accurate.

As I understand the threads, Matt sent the dagger to Ailsby in original condition. Mongo bought the dagger from Ailsby, and it had been messed with. Mongo then decided the condition was bad enough to warrant a full restoration. So the dagger must have been messed with while in Ailsby's custody.

So Ailsby not only trashed his reputation, he trashed a perfectly good, untouched damascus dagger.

I can't, for the life of me, see why Mongo has to pay the fees on sending the money!! I would have made Ailsby pay every last red cent! He got off FAR too leniently in my opinion.

If you want to criticise someone first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when they come after you, you'll be a mile ahead and they'll be barefoot.
Matt did not get the extra money so sez Mr. Mongo. Methinks SOMEONE made some big money off this crooked deal. I wonder who.??????????????????????????? Razz Roll Eyes This "deal" looks even worse with this revelation.

MAX & OVMS Life Member, MAX Bd. of Experts. GDC Platinum Dealer. Collector since 1955.
OP Offline
Believe me if you knew what went into getting this sorted out, then me paying the fees was the least of it Wink

Im just happy to have it sorted out and really have done everything I can to help sort this mess out. Matt is happy he finally has the money.

quote:
Originally posted by Houston Coates:
Matt did not get the extra money so sez Mr. Mongo. Methinks SOMEONE made some big money off this crooked deal. I wonder who.??????????????????????????? Razz Roll Eyes This "deal" looks even worse with this revelation.

Dear Houston.

This posting is said whit my total respect for you and your knowlage.

Here is my point of view:
Rather then pointing fingers at whome made the money in this deal and that it could/should have been an better ending at this, you could come forward whit an solution that you feel is better that the made one.

This deal is an ugly one from the beginning to the end.
I personally feel that the original seller and the end buyer have been fooled in this deal.
I totally agree the mr A is the crock here.
This mess is 100% total his fault and realy should be his to solve.
The end buyer has now done over top what he is exspected to do as an buyer from a "serious" dealer.
So, rather then pointing fingers and telling the comunity that this deal should have been solved in an better matter, we should be positive that it got an "happy ending".
Again, my total respect for you Houston, but also to mongobongo for solving this mess.

Best Regards
Ståle

Always looking to buy good genuine German helmets:
stale.andresen@comhem.se
Ahhhh--Yes--All quiet on the Western front. Silence is truly telling--is it not?

Matt--IMO you got the shaft-twice. You should have DEMANDED that the dagger be returned or that you got close or full retail for it.

I am disappointed to learn that Ailsby has apparently made a tidy profit after all, I was hoping he'd get nailed to the wall for his criminal intent and dishonorable conduct.

Doug
D
D
It appears Chris is still a member here. After he is done counting his ill-gotten gains perhaps he will enlighten us with a quick briefing on his business model. There are still quite a few people here that think he is a stand up guy.

Of course if he doesn't come here feel free to say it to his face here on his forum: http://www.stirnpanzer.com/forum/

N
N
Is it right that Ailsby remains a member here given his attitude and behaviour. Frown

R
R
This whole deal is pathetic and just plain wrong. The original owner who happens to be the person that needs the money the most and on top of that is a veteran for Christ sake is the one who loses. You gentlemen have done something totally wrong. ALL the money belongs to Matt's uncle. Here you guys are talking about Ferraris while Chris continues to write books and make a ton of cash etc etc. What about the old timer? How long do you think that a mere 6000 pounds will last? Mondobongo I have nothing against you but you know where that dagger belongs. You keep the dagger like you intended to in the first place and Chris gets some cash from this
? You should have received your money like you did and returned Matt's dagger even if you did not want to. It is not yours. Then you should have dealt directly with Matt and offered to buy it from him. He wanted the dagger. Thats what he said. This type of thing frustrates me so much because there is no gratitude. there is no respect towards this man. Shame on both of you. Mad

OP Offline
Matt always only wanted his money, he only wanted the dagger back as he could never get that. I really bust my ass to help get it for him, dont take my word for it ask Matt?

Dont think getting this result in the circumstances was simple... far from it. I cant be personally financially responsible for every deal that goes down because you think I "can afford" to be screwed. He and his uncle wanted me to keep the dagger, I have been more than helpful in sorting this mess out.

So how dare you pull this crap on me, you dont know the half of what went on here. I am a very honest guy who has consistently done the right thing here. The nature of your comments sicken me to be honest.

J
J
Far from being an ideal end to all this,it is
at least some solution to what was a very difficult situation.Mongobongo did the right
thing,and tried to resolve the problem the
best he could. I don,t think he should be blamed
for that. As for the wretched Ailsby, he should
be left to stew in his own fecal matter, his
reputation in tatters.
John Rosser

Mongo. Why don't you fill us all in on what you had to do to rectify the problem (even though you were faultless in it) just to shut up the ****heads who give you grief for daring to keep what you paid good money for?

If you want to criticise someone first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when they come after you, you'll be a mile ahead and they'll be barefoot.
M
M
quote:
Originally posted by rgaraymd:
This whole deal is pathetic and just plain wrong. The original owner who happens to be the person that needs the money the most and on top of that is a veteran for Christ sake is the one who loses. You gentlemen have done something totally wrong. ALL the money belongs to Matt's uncle. Here you guys are talking about Ferraris while Chris continues to write books and make a ton of cash etc etc. What about the old timer? How long do you think that a mere 6000 pounds will last? Mondobongo I have nothing against you but you know where that dagger belongs. You keep the dagger like you intended to in the first place and Chris gets some cash from this
? You should have received your money like you did and returned Matt's dagger even if you did not want to. It is not yours. Then you should have dealt directly with Matt and offered to buy it from him. He wanted the dagger. Thats what he said. This type of thing frustrates me so much because there is no gratitude. there is no respect towards this man. Shame on both of you. Mad

,,wha tha? (are you kidding?)
If MongoBongo wasn't the gentleman that he is, where do you think this SCAM would be right now?
In FULL force, that's where.
(@ almost two years, nearing the statute of limitations as well.)
I wonder if this dagger got this much attention during the war?

In Memory of Joe Mann
Medal of Honor Recipient
July 8, 1922 �
September 19, 1944

N
N
Edited for racist remark

J
J
quote:
Originally posted by mongobongo:
Matt always only wanted his money, he only wanted the dagger back as he could never get that. I really bust my ass to help get it for him, dont take my word for it ask Matt?

Dont think getting this result in the circumstances was simple... far from it. I cant be personally financially responsible for every deal that goes down because you think I "can afford" to be screwed. He and his uncle wanted me to keep the dagger, I have been more than helpful in sorting this mess out.

So how dare you pull this crap on me, you dont know the half of what went on here. I am a very honest guy who has consistently done the right thing here. The nature of your comments sicken me to be honest.

I agree.

C
C
Every last word I have read about Mongobongo during this incident from beginning to end on this forum and others show him in the brightest possible light. His business and ethical standards are about the highest I have seen. Praises to you my friend. Charlie

<BR>
The one thing that has not been said about this rotten deal and the new "agreement" is--WHO GOT THE EXTRA MONEY? Once that is clearly stated -this thread is over.

D
D
As of right now Chris is still a member in good standing here so maybe if he's done counting it he will drop in and tell us how much ahead he is. This and his own forum are the last two places on the net where he has not been banned.

Online Content
Since you cannot discuss this without insults, I am closing the topic.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,265,915 SS Bayonets
1,763,194 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,899 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Postwar Military PCs.
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 01:22 AM
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by Vik - 04/23/2024 02:22 PM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Gaspare - 04/23/2024 02:00 AM
S-98 nA. Bayonet
by lakesidetrader - 04/22/2024 01:57 PM
Latest New Posts
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/27/2024 05:41 PM
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/27/2024 04:45 PM
Rings & Things for the MAX
by Stephen - 04/27/2024 08:19 AM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Ric Ferrari - 04/26/2024 05:52 PM
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,670
Posts329,075
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
11 members (Documentalist, C. Wetzel-20609, Billy G., Stephen, Vern, Vik, Wade, benten, sellick8302@rogers.com, maybarker, atis), 622 guests, and 114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod