Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
greg -1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
bored this sunday i thought i would go to a local bootsale,walking down the rows of tables with junk on top i noticed an absolute treasure underneath one in a box.i asked the lady if i could have a closer look with which she pulled out the gem you see before you.how much love i asked.with har reply i nearly fainted.�30 she said with no hesitation the money chenged hands before you could say deal.
its an m35 double decal lufty,q66 serial number 1132 the shield has been scraped off and the bird is about 80% the liner has never been out of the shell and remains tight.

a.jpg (15.43 KB, 639 downloads)
G
greg -1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G

b.jpg (14.88 KB, 635 downloads)
G
greg -1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G

c.jpg (17.07 KB, 625 downloads)
G
greg -1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G

d.jpg (15.93 KB, 619 downloads)
G
greg -1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G

e.jpg (19.2 KB, 624 downloads)
G
greg -1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
a bit blured but its real

f.jpg (9.07 KB, 618 downloads)
R
R
Nice unmolested lid, Greg! Finds like this are the best in my opinion, regardless of the type of helmet!

10000/1 chance .lucky the seller had it above kids pocket money prices .Its good to see they are still out there Rob.

S
S
Regardless of what the lady looked like I would have given her a great big hug and kiss on that deal. Big Grin

Pardon me Mam. Does it take very long to brush that tooth? Roll Eyes

"Insanity is heriditary. You get it from your kids." Quote from Ronald Regans diary.
G
greg -1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
i have the ladys number as it belonged to her father i am going to go round and try and find out a bit more about it.
if it comes with history its worth more than monetry value to me.
ill keep you posted when i find out a bit more ie which regiment he served in where he fought,its quite exciting for me Razz

Great catch!

Always Looking for Quality US Airborne items. [email protected]
T
T
Great score Greg,

You gotta like them when they come your way like this.

BTW is your avatar of Point-Du-Hoc?

G
greg -1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
you have good eyes my friend
i went out there earlier this year the photos are in the thread a solom place.really is a moving place,i consider myself strong mentally but i did shed a tear at the cemeteries

T
T
quote:
Originally posted by greg-1:
you have good eyes my friend
i went out there earlier this year the photos are in the thread a solom place.really is a moving place,i consider myself strong mentally but i did shed a tear at the cemeteries

Greg I hear ya, I was there(Point-Du-Hoc) about 3 years ago and to all places in Normandy, to see most of the battle grounds and cemeteries, all very moving, more so the Canadian cemetery outside Caen.

Lest we forget...

No doubt...Catch of the Day!!!

*Making mental note to self to go to more "boot sales"...whatever that is*

Erik

[Linked Image from img244.imageshack.us]
G
greg -1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
hi eric a boot sale in england is a load of people parking thier cars in a line a selling goods out of thier(what the americans call a trunk)this is where the boot sale comes from
i really was stunned when she pulled it out. the ultimate catch i tried to keep myself composed until i was far enough away then i just laughed out with joy.people must have thought i was retarded Smile

P
P
quote:
Originally posted by greg-1:
i have the ladys number as it belonged to her father i am going to go round and try and find out a bit more about it.
if it comes with history its worth more than monetry value to me.
ill keep you posted when i find out a bit more ie which regiment he served in where he fought,its quite exciting for me Razz

Your telling me it has history it was her fathers and she sold it for �30 and your going round for info all to your monetary gain Shame on you.I dont like the thought of ripping off old ladys and a war vets daughter. Pete

G
greg -1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
this helmet has history and if i can stop this helmet becoming just another helmet then i will.the guy picked this up somewhere and keeping the history this helmet and the guy himself has to be worth more than money.
she asked for �30 and i gave her it i will garentee there isnt a single member on this forum would have done the same.
Confusedsome you win some you lose Confused

P
P
How can you speak for the whole forum? Dont judge others by your own standards. Pete

G
greg -1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
right here goes
WHO WOULD TURN DOWN THIS HELMET FOR �30

Not me. Ida offered her 25. Big Grin

Just kidding, but I would have taken the deal. But then, I am not a rich man, and I will take a deal when its offered.

....tj

"Never type faster than your abilaty to comrehend werds"
Pete:

The lady asked �30, and Greg gracefully paid her exactly what she asked for. He is a collector (not a dealer) and has no obligation to inform the lady about what he believes this helmet could fetch if it was placed on ebay or for sale on this forum. In fact, and from my experience, very often people rather see that an item goes to someone who can appreciate it and take good care of it for the future.

So what would you do if you walk into an antique store asking $50 for a nice German helmet? Would you tell the Owner of the store that you think it is worth much more and put $700 on the counter just to be a nice guy?

I think Greg did really well and I am really happy on his behalf. And I believe I speak for most of us here when I say that. I would just add that he shouldn't wear the helmet (the photo on the other thread). Not only does it look goofy, but I would never let any of my helmets take the stress on the 60 years+ old leather in the liner.

Cheers

Erik

S
S
Hi Pete can you please tell me the difference between walking into an antique store where some female dealer is selling a piece of art for a mere fraction of what it is worth and this? Would you correct the old female art dealer/ antique store owner and tell here that you must pay her 10 times her asking price because it is worth more? The Antiques Roadshow both in Britain and in the US is full of stories such as I have related. Time to get yourself down from the moral high ground that you favour. And please do not propose to speak for me as I see nothing wrong with what was done. Appears as if you were trolling for an arguement with your negative comment. cheers, Ryan

Pete , I figured out the solution to this . Greg , Email Pete the old Lady's address and Pete will mail her a Money Order for the balance he thinks she deserves and that way you'll both be happy and the old Lady confused but happy.
and they talk about King Solomon being fair ...Vat a Deal !

P
P
Ryan Where did I speak for you?there was one person who was speaking on behalf of others it was not me.As for taking the moral high ground thats subjective.Although you accuse me of trolling for an argument maybee you need to look at yourself.
Erik I know of a few collectors in Norway who advertize for lids in the local press and they always pay a fair price when the owners, many
old have no idea of value, why do they do that?.It just shows we all have different moral standards.regards PETE

Mike Peters what a great response to end the thread nice one

Value to one person is very different than value to another. When I sold my rare maker Heer dagger and most collectors (on this forum) offered me $500 where they trying to rip me off? Eventually it sold to a specialized collector paying well twice that price! I am the one that decides what I sell my stuff for.

Also, when someone wants to sell you something, weather it is in a flea market, through a paper ad or wherever, it is the sellers responsibility to come up with the price. And we as collectors, often having spent years and years of gaining experience, which in most cases has come very expensive through buying fakes, being ripped off by scammers etc, have absolutely no obligation to act as some sort of guidance counselors or free consultants for the uninformed. If someone wants to sell you a helmet for $10, then God Bless You if you can get it for that!!!!!

Erik

S
S
My opinion for what it is worth.
Greg paid the lady what she wanted for it.
He certainly did not take advantage of her. As stated in another post he is not obligated to state the value that it has to him or anybody else.
If you were offered a 2005 Mercedes Benze or Jaguar with 5000 Km on it for a thousand Euros are you going to tell the person that the price is to cheap for a used Auto or are you going to buy it?
My thoughts on the deal. Big Grin
Big Grin WAY TO GO GREG Wink
If the lady has any history on the helmet or any other items she would like to turn into cash for her own benefit you go get it lad.
Steve

"Insanity is heriditary. You get it from your kids." Quote from Ronald Regans diary.
A
A
If you feel guilty, you can dig a grave and throw up in it.

Refrain from name calling whether in English or German!

Larry

T
T
I suppose there is the possibility that the helmet was not really her father's but is still absolutely original. If that's the case we could put the sentimentality issue to rest. I for one, never attempt to price another person's goods for sale. I would take the deal that is offered to me and hope that it helps heal the wounds I've suffered on other spurious deals when I wound up on the negative end. Tomt

T
T
Just another thought. Let's say you did correct the lady and gave her $1200 for the helmet and later found out it was a repro what do you think her response might be when you asked for a refund if you could locate her? Tomt

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,266,686 SS Bayonets
1,764,230 Teno Insignia Set
1,132,916 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Typeface/font used on SA, SS daggers.
by AfterMath - 05/07/2024 07:53 PM
SS Directory Black Book
by LotusPeddler96 - 05/06/2024 04:22 PM
ISO an SS HONOR RING or Totenkopfring
by LotusPeddler96 - 05/06/2024 01:15 AM
Welcome - New Collector Here
by LotusPeddler96 - 05/05/2024 03:40 PM
Latest New Posts
SS honor ring. 1936.
by Tanker - 05/07/2024 08:49 PM
Typeface/font used on SA, SS daggers.
by AfterMath - 05/07/2024 07:53 PM
Flare guns or pistols! Lets see them!!!!!
by BretVanSant - 05/07/2024 06:24 PM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Stephen - 05/07/2024 03:21 PM
Period Dies
by Gaspare - 05/07/2024 03:17 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,673
Posts329,147
Members7,527
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
8 members (Tanker, Vern, Mikee, AfterMath, Stephen, den70, Jonesy, dr73), 560 guests, and 102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod