Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I thought I post this photo again, although it is in my collection for quite some time

It shows a group of officers from a Polizei Gebirgsj�ger Regiment, I think it is the Regiment 18.

Interesting is the officer in the middle, who is wearing the Gebirgsj�ger badge on the lower arm but wearing a SS-style eagle instead of the Police eagle.
Also note that there are two different styles of helmet decals.

Anybody can identify the SS-Gruppenf�hrer at the left ??

Kind regards
Robert

GDC - member # 153
Robert,

I don't know the SS-General but isn't the policeman in the center Col. Bernhard Griese? Griese was a Knight's Cross winner after 3 May 1942. This would date the picture prior to that time and before he won the Iron Cross 1st class. He lead the 323rd Pol Bn in Army Group Center, I believe, and perhaps this is when/where this photo was taken?

Also notice the center policeman with the eye glasses and his back to us. He is wearing a tailor made tunic with a two button cuff that is the same color as the tunic instead of being the usual brown cloth.

George

"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson
G
G
George,
I think the photograph is from a later date. Look at the short guy at the far right and at the guy second from left with his back to the camera. They are both wearing the "Feldbluse Neuer Art" (M42) which would date this picture to probably spring 1943 or later.

The cuffs in tunic cloth on the M36 tunic are indeed nice. I love these pictures that show non-regulatory items being worn.
Also note how incredibely high on the sleeve the edelweiss badges are worn

quote:
I think the photograph is from a later date. Look at the short guy at the far right and at the guy second from left with his back to the camera. They are both wearing the "Feldbluse Neuer Art" (M42) which would date this picture to probably spring 1943 or later.

George, I don't think it's Griese, if Ernst is correct about the dates on the blouse usage. Later photos show him with the KC as well as the EK 1st, WM 1st, and IAB. A lot to earn in a very short period of time I would think.

But I do love the "wide-eyed" look on the guy at the far right.... almost like he just spotted a topless women just beyond the SS-Gruppenf�hrer.

Ernst your right, those Gebirgsj�ger badges are pretty high up. But something curious struck me. Maybe it is a lack of depth in the photo, but doesn't the one on (SS Officer) look smaller ? Maybe it's just the position of the arm in front of it cutting it off. I know it's not an SS version.

Andrew

Interested in all 3rd Reich & Post WWII Polizei Insignia
S
S
Is it my imagination or does the 4th guy from the left with the glasses have an aluminium oxide paint finish on his helmet instead of a glossy finish?
To be honest if I came across one of those tunics I would have thought some kid had put it together. I love the stuff that pops up in these threads.
Thanks for the photo it is an eye opener.
Steve

"Insanity is heriditary. You get it from your kids." Quote from Ronald Regans diary.
Robert, that is a truly a fantastic photo! Just looking at the mix of insignia and uniforms makes me dizzy! The officer in question has one heck of a ribbon bar too boot! How I'd like to find just one of those tunics pictured! Not to mention the bordered decals and the un-bordered example on the far right! Do you have anymore of this group?

Think we need JoeW. since he seems to be extremely good with identifications!

OP Offline
Dave, You got me Big Grin

The photo above is from a group of 350 photos from one man who was in that Polizei-Gebirgsj�ger Regiment.
He was in Norway, Sweden, probably Finland too. Then to Greece.

Here are some of this group:

Shooting practice

Some officers

Skiing

SS-style winter parkas

He also wears a SS-buckle

Two photos I like very much are these, note the caps...

And back in the mountains again

Probably an exercise here

I am not sure what that single white stripe means:

It also appears on the next photo, made in Greece...

This was the man from whom the photos are:

and in Greece now, also with a SS-buckle

Another series show them with czech (??) policemen

And some more from Greece

3 photos are from a visit of Himmler, these probably made in Norway

Detail of Himmler

and the SS-Officer, I can not read what's on the cuff-title, could be "Nord"

Enough so far.

Kind regards
Robert

GDC - member # 153
wow.......

Robert those shots are fantastic !!!!

Thanks for sharing them !!!

Andrew

S
S
I really like your photos friend. Thanks a lot.
Steve

"Insanity is heriditary. You get it from your kids." Quote from Ronald Regans diary.
Thanks for showing some of the best photo I seen in a long time. Very nice!!!!!!

Robert,
your photographs are really spectacular! I have always wondered if Himmler ever owned or wore the einheitsfeldmutzen. I wonder if he did on this occasion to "fit in" a little better with the cops by not wearing his SS peaked cap. I believe the tall Police General walking with Himmler may be August Edler von Meyszner.

I love the shots of the Polizei Gebirgstruppen and photos of the 1st pattern garrison visor are seldom seen.

Thank you very much for sharing these photos with us, they are first rate!

Best,
Marcus

Robert, those are really some great photos!!! Many thanks for sharing! A couple that should really stand out for polizei uniform and/or headgear collectors are pictures 11 & 12 that reflect that unique visor cap they are wearing during training! Appears constructed with an all green collapsable body, green reinforced cloth bill, no piping and with dark band bearing the polizei insignia. (I still can't help to think how bad that guys ears would be ringing after being used as a machine gun base!) Thanks again for sharing Robert!

B
B
Robert: Your Photos are fantastic ! They are interesting from many standpoints , to see the different combination of tunics and weapons . It shows that the police got 'stuck ' with a lot of outdated weapons , like the old water cooled machine guns from WWI and the old ERMA MP . The placement of the mountain insignia on the lower left sleeve is placed like a skill badge in contrast to the 'real' Army Mountain Troops that wore it on the upper right sleeve . The one 'white' stripe is a silver tresse strip that indicates "Spies" ,like the US Sargent Major . Please show us more photos . Thanks , Bernd .

B
B
Robert : The 2 photos in Greece were taken on a hill acroos and in-line with the Akropolis : on this hill Peter preached ! It must have been taken for the unit's history book or for propoganda purpose . I been there , so could ID the location . Bernd .

J
J
Really great photos! Especially that one with using ZB26 as AA-gun!!!

Bernd:
one Tresse is Zugwachtmeister.
Kompaniehauptwachtmeister (Spie�) wore 2 Tresse

BTW: In no case these guys on tracks are Czechs!

The helmeted Oberst in the first photo is Hermann Franz. He commanded SS-Polizei-Gebirgsjaeger-Regiment 18 from May 1942 to
August 1943.

I'm still working on the SS General from the
same photo, he looks very familiar.

Just went through the pics again and really am impressed with them.

I am sure I am not the only one who wishes they were in color. Normally I really enjoy the more dramatic feeling of B&W. But on some of these, I'd beg for a nice color version !!!

Oh well, can't have everything !!! But it's nice to dream !!

Andrew

The SS-Gruf. wearing the Danzig Kreuz I. Klasse (and yes, a "Nord" cuff title to reflect his status as Fhr. of SS-Oberabschnitt "Nord" in Oslo) is Wilhelm Rediess, HSSPF in Norway. to his right is August Edler von Meyszner. In the first photo, with Hermann Franz- the SS-Gruf. with glasses looks like the Reich Minister for Food & Agriculture, Herbert Backe, but I'm not certain.

Awe-inspiring photos as per always, Robert.

Best,
~ Mike

Axis Biographical Research
at www.geocities.com/~orion47 (an apolitical military history site)
M
M
Awesome photos! Amazing what these guys did to try and get a uniform ensemble together and try and stick to the regs. The tropical guys are too cool. Thanks for these. Big Grin

Mike Dalton
Hi Robert.These are a truly amazing group of photos. I think the photo of "Some officers" shows the three staff officers on the shore but they are not of the 18th. I have an album of Pol Btl 302 I think, that shipped from Norway back to Germany to form part of the 18th. This officer with the lump on his cheek was the commanding officer and is in several of the photos. Those men in Norway wore the edelweiss on the caps. I will try and make a photo for comparison. My photos are named but I can't make out the names.

"This hobby is a continuing education"
Looking for Walther Model 8 #727649
and Walther PP #975557

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,267,210 SS Bayonets
1,764,319 Teno Insignia Set
1,133,062 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Latest New Posts
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,706
Posts329,192
Members7,531
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dakms), 618 guests, and 126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod