Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#152516 03/04/2007 06:32 PM
A
OP Offline
A
http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Dagger-Grip-with-paper-tag_W0...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I think it was very unusual to find something like this so I decided to post a link. I also would have expected the tag to have been applied after final assembly.
Jim

daggergrip.jpg (13.71 KB, 418 downloads)
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know many of you guys are experts at spotting genuine vs fake items. What do you think about this?
I was considering getting an authentic period handle to replace my damaged one on my SS Full Rohm.
I would still keep the original one of course and not try to hide the fact I changed it for appearances.

Thanks,
Mike

A
OP Offline
A
This grip would not be correct for a full Rohm SS dagger as they are all pre RZM pieces.
Jim

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
quote:
Originally posted by jim m:
This grip would not be correct for a full Rohm SS dagger as they are all pre RZM pieces.
Jim

Thanks Jim. I appreciate the information.
It is a little hard to decide what to do about my handle. I could have it repaired or I could replace the grip. Or, I can do what I have done so far - nothing!
Thanks again for the help on this,
Mike

I know the seller, I have bought several items from him. Very good to deal with. However his knowledge is limited on daggers,I had to return a few SA since they were obvisous parts daggers.

The only bad thing how often do you have a dagger that need a new mint grip? Most daggers that need new grips are beaters, thus this would look very funny on most SS daggers since there is no wear. neat find!

S
sdp Offline
S
If you replace your grip, it's not going to be easy to match up the crossguards to it.

N
N
i have a mint m7/13 534/40/ss with a badly chipped grip
a friend of mine gave a talk on antiques in an old peoples home and an old lady went back to her room and bought out this dagger wrapped in an old sock not knowing what it was worth my friend rang me .after much haggling i paid a fair price ,honestly, but within minutes of getting home large chunks started falling off the grip including a piece i could never find. i glued the bits back and filled in the missing part but could not do a very good job. this grip will hopefully make my dagger complete and being a late war rzm type should fit my cross guards thats if i win!

S
sdp Offline
S
nickn... good luck trying to fit the grip if you win.

quote:
Originally posted by FullRohemOwner:
quote:
Jim

It is a little hard to decide what to do about my handle. I could have it repaired or I could replace the grip. Or, I can do what I have done so far - nothing!
Mike

In my opinion, you would be crazy to attempt switching grips - too much raw history embedded in your dagger! Please leave your dagger "as is" and learn to appreciate it for what it is - a VERY nice and rare piece of history with very much provenance. It is so difficult to find such a dagger today with such nice provenance, and I'd hate to see you destroy that - even if you could eventually get a good fit.

If you want to "tinker" with a dagger, buy another one and have all the fun you want to - get it out of your system. What ever you do, don't destroy what you already have . . .

Brad

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have . . . .
J
J
You need to be really carefull about these seperate grips that look real new where the paper looks new too and the rivat is small and does not look like the the older ones. There was a guy at MAX in Charlotte selling these Frown Frown

Joe

A
OP Offline
A
I really started this thread to get opinions of whether tags were routinely attached to SS dagger grips before final assembly and I'm still interested in others opinions. Roll Eyes
Mike: If you have the capability why not post some pictures of your damaged grip here and perhaps we can advise you further. Smile
Jim

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
quote:
Originally posted by Brad Long:
quote:
Originally posted by FullRohemOwner:
quote:
Jim

Mike

In my opinion, you would be crazy to attempt switching grips - too much raw history embedded in your dagger! Please leave your dagger "as is" and learn to appreciate it for what it is - a VERY nice and rare piece of history with very much provenance. It is so difficult to find such a dagger today with such nice provenance, and I'd hate to see you destroy that - even if you could eventually get a good fit.

If you want to "tinker" with a dagger, buy another one and have all the fun you want to - get it out of your system. What ever you do, don't destroy what you already have . . .

Good advice - I will take it.
Many Thanks,

Mike

Brad

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
quote:
I really started this thread to get opinions of whether tags were routinely attached to SS dagger grips before final assembly and I'm still interested in others opinions. Roll Eyes
Mike: If you have the capability why not post some pictures of your damaged grip here and perhaps we can advise you further. Smile
Jim

You are right - sorry,
Mike

A
OP Offline
A
Mike:
I didn't state that to deter you from posting pictures. We are all here to help and we pretty much bend over backwards to do so. So there's nothing to be sorry about! Smile
Jim

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
quote:
Mike:
I didn't state that to deter you from posting pictures. We are all here to help and we pretty much bend over backwards to do so. So there's nothing to be sorry about! Smile
Jim

I understand - I was apologizing for interrupting your thread. I should have begun a new thread with photos and asked from there.

Belive me - I am grateful for the advice I have gotten and the interesting facts I have read on this site.
Dad had no idea of the significance of this dagger. I had three bothers - now only two.
When mom passed away about five years ago, my eldest brother - the executor, decided we would split up some of dad's acquisitions and keep the rest in a family chest.
He first chose a Japanese Sword. I always liked the dagger - just because of the way it looked - even with the broken handle and chose it.

Thanks Again - photos of my dagger were posted a few months ago by Rev.

Hi,,,,,Why would a designated licenced company put an RZM paper tag on a plain wooden handle that would obviously have to be removed and disgarded to fit the eagle and runes button!
Also never seen the rivet's on these look so small,,,,,,,,,,,,, Confused

Picture234.jpg (70.59 KB, 225 downloads)
S
S
Hooper, I was thinking the same thing. This has to be the small rivet SS/SA repro's that were floating around a couple of years ago. Look at the paper, it's not "yellowed". -wagner-

N
N
so they are both fakes?

There was a large show case at the MAX in Indy with S/A and SS grips with these tags riveted to them for sale. What do you think they are?

A
OP Offline
A
You can't assume something isn't period just by the color of the tag: This original HJ buckle with the tag attached is in brandnew other than some storage scratches condition and look at the tag color!
N.B: I you read the verbage in the listing for this grip the grip eagle and rune button have already been installed.
Jim

hjbuckle.jpg (50.06 KB, 182 downloads)
Jim,

If they were real I would have bought the whole show case full of them! An HJ buckle with a tag on it is not rare. Those grips are appearing all over the place and they are so so quality.

N
N
how much were they at the max show?
do you know the dealer who had them?

A
OP Offline
A
I believe you Ed and agree tagged buckles aren't all that rare. I missed the MAX last year and don't remember seeing these at this years SOS. My point here is you can't always judge age by condition. I know exactly where the above buckle spent it's time since 1945 and the tag on it actually looks newer to me than the one on the grip! Big Grin
I'm still interested in facts or opinions as to whether they were originaly assembled this way.
Jim

S
S
These "mint" grips have been around for several years now. See old thread.
They turn up on SS parts daggers originating out of europe.
The rivets are unlike any seen by veteran experts.
The wood grain is slightly courser on the grips than on period SS RZM grips. Yes, I know the differences in the woods used.
They have been at the major shows and have been deemed fake by Craig here on a old post.
Nice mint HJ buckle there Jim. Smile
I believe they are repro, just my opinion. Big Grin
If they are real, that's a real deal for unissued SS grips with the tag still attached. Just my opinion too. Big Grin -wagner-

S
sdp Offline
S
Additional photo provided by the Seller for item number 330094931192...

dagger_grip.jpg (35.78 KB, 134 downloads)
S
sdp Offline
S
Additional photo provided by the Seller for item number 270096011493...

dagger_2.JPG (20.25 KB, 126 downloads)
A
OP Offline
A
Here's the flip side of the HJ buckle so you can see the entire tag: According to the vets widow her husband told her he "liberated" this and other items right out of a store case.
BTW: I don't own this particular one anymore as a dealer friend was more than happy to buy it at the SOS! Smile

hjbuckle2.jpg (50.21 KB, 122 downloads)
S
sdp Offline
S
In the 2nd photo I just posted, the Seller told me to check his website, interesting...

http://www.motka.com/cgi-bin/motka/motka.cgi?Act=itm&item=_s_3a95c0d2_45e57498

Online Content
The rivet on both those grips shown is not what I would expect to see. Here is what I think they should look like. This is an SS dagger but the SAs used the same rivet.

sell20b.jpg (66.59 KB, 101 downloads)
Online Content
Here is the other side.

I also think (no proof) that the tag was attached AFTER the dagger was completed. One reason is that the RZM code was stamped on the paper and that would have been almost impossible to accomplish with the paper already on the grip - the paper resting on a curved surface would not take a rubber stamp well.

A second reason is that I think (again no proof) that the paper tag was proof a final inspection or certification of a dagger which met RZM standards.

ss3.jpg (47.4 KB, 56 downloads)

Moderated by  Dave 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,266,474 SS Bayonets
1,763,970 Teno Insignia Set
1,132,583 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
AWS Alcoso quality tag
by BretVanSant - 05/03/2024 04:08 AM
Site Down
by Vern - 05/02/2024 11:55 PM
Pipes old and new
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 09:40 PM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Stephen - 05/01/2024 12:40 PM
Latest New Posts
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Gaspare - 05/04/2024 02:14 PM
NSKK dienst dolch
by Dave - 05/04/2024 02:12 PM
Site Down
by Stephen - 05/04/2024 09:38 AM
AWS Alcoso quality tag
by wotan - 05/04/2024 02:01 AM
Fritz Barthelmess Bavaria Muggendorf SA
by Vern - 05/04/2024 01:07 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,669
Posts329,103
Members7,524
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gaspare, Dave, Don Scowen, maybarker), 577 guests, and 117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod