Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
lugar05 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Forum,
I see that everyone jumps on mint SA daggers but i can only afford the far from mint ones does anyone else collect the plain jane SA,daggers
thanks in advance for your input.
Lugar05

Online Content
Most of the SA's in collections are ordinary, well used daggers.

Dave

Hi Lugar05,
Been there done that. Most of my collection is EXC to near mint (average daggers). I never owned a mint or unissued piece. Heck if i did own a mint piece i wouldn't want to handle it and that takes the fun out of collecting for me anyway, i have to play with at least one or two a day. The way i worked up to getting a nice collection was by buying what i could afford a little at a time and after awhile the value jumped up a little on this stuff and i sold 2 or 3 average pieces, made my money back and bought one in alot better condition.
The value on this stuff will always go up over time, so enjoy what you can afford for now and work your way up a little at a time.

Don't get discouraged.

Eric

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A reasonable collector has most of that type. The real mint ones are costly and hard to find. I have a bunch of very nice presentable daggers, some very rare, but only a small percentage are like new. I like them to look as someone actually wore them...that's the history, fun part of the hobby, for me.

Mark Big Grin

S
sdp Offline
S
Just buy the ones in the best condition that you can afford at the time and patient, don't jump at everything you see. You know the old cliche, "it's a marathon, not a sprint".

Try not to leave yourself financially over stretched, (which is hard, I know) and when the time comes, you can upgrade to another dagger that's in better condition than the last one you had. By then, your old dagger(s) may have increased a little bit more, helping you on your way.

Everyone jumps on the, "mint SA daggers", because they still look all sparkly and shiney still. Big Grin

The reality is, the bulk of the average daggers in our collections are not in that mint condition, (unless of course, you as old as a dinosaur and have plenty of disposable income). Big Grin

R
R
I just like collecting. I only have a small collection, but for me, it's like kingtiger said, the history is what i'm in it for. To think that someone who went through that owned the same piece that I now have is awe-inspiring.

I remember when i went to germany and stood on a street in munich. Just to think that someone else stood there hundred's of years ago makes you tingle.

My advice is to collect whatever you can afford. That's what I do with a wife and three young children, which is not much right now.

richard Smile

Oddball: Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves.
I like a display quality appearance with that "been there" look.
Wherever that falls on whosever grading scale you happen to be looking at.
Mint pieces make pretty photos, but they lack that sense of history that I'm after.
The minty ones may have a higher resale value later on, but I collect for fun not profit.
For instance, if I happened to find a tagged SA cheap at a garage sale, I would trade it for another dagger.
I'm really not looking for pieces that were "captured" from a factory.
That's just how I feel about it.
To each his own.

Best Regards,
Robert
M
M
Myself I prefer the, been there done that look, and wish every piece could tell a story, wouldn't that be great. Mike

S
S
I reaaly like nice, deep and even patina'd dagger with a nice blade. -wagner-

In my collection, nothing is really mint. I do have nice blades, that I am proud to own, but I like "odd" ones more. I really love daggers and knifes that have been named, or has some period change to it, and stuff like that. Minty pieces in that branch is hard to come by. Plus, of course, I am not made out of money. Far from it.

Like you others, I have been lucky enough to be able to sell my first "must have that spotted and not really good blade to any price"-pieces, after their value had gone up.

Most of my pieces that are not named or interesting in that way in any respect, would probably grade EXC to NM, and that is why I like them and bought them.

If I should ever buy something really mint, I would have to sell several of my other pieces. That might happen, but as it is now, I like to have different pieces in a condition that I can live with.

(Always looking for named/personalized/"altered" HJ knifes/bayos and Brannik/czech youth knifes)
quote:
Originally posted by Daggerob:
I like a display quality appearance with that "been there" look.
Wherever that falls on whosever grading scale you happen to be looking at.
Mint pieces make pretty photos, but they lack that sense of history that I'm after.
The minty ones may have a higher resale value later on, but I collect for fun not profit.
For instance, if I happened to find a tagged SA cheap at a garage sale, I would trade it for another dagger.
I'm really not looking for pieces that were "captured" from a factory.
That's just how I feel about it.
To each his own.

I agree with you 100% Robert!

Nice pieces that really been there and tells a story is the ones who makes this hobby so fascinated.
Of course I will not complain if the prices on my babies will rise, and they will do, it�s only a bonus.
I will always continue collect decent pieces that show some wear no matter what, because I�m really into this hobby for the joy and the pleasure and because I�m interesting in the history of the pieces I already own and the future pieces I will purchase.

Sam,

"Honesty is the best policy"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,266,481 SS Bayonets
1,763,972 Teno Insignia Set
1,132,585 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
AWS Alcoso quality tag
by BretVanSant - 05/03/2024 04:08 AM
Site Down
by Vern - 05/02/2024 11:55 PM
Pipes old and new
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 09:40 PM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Stephen - 05/01/2024 12:40 PM
Latest New Posts
CLAY TOBACCO PIPES
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 05/04/2024 05:15 PM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Gaspare - 05/04/2024 02:14 PM
NSKK dienst dolch
by Dave - 05/04/2024 02:12 PM
Site Down
by Stephen - 05/04/2024 09:38 AM
AWS Alcoso quality tag
by wotan - 05/04/2024 02:01 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,669
Posts329,106
Members7,524
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
12 members (Honestmike, C. Wetzel-20609, Matarese, ed773, benten, [email protected], Documentalist, ajax, Dave, Dean Perdue, Vern, Skyline Drive), 555 guests, and 94 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod