Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I have read about using silicone spray on blades here, but I have never tried it myself. I always just leave a thin layer of gungrease on my blades, but I have decided to give silicone spray a try. Now, since I dont have any experiences at all, I just want to ask you this before I go ahead:
Is there any type of blade were I should NOT use silicon spray? Or is it always good? Can I use it on plated blades like lufts and armys? On SA and SS daggers? How about etched blades? HJs? Navys?

Just want to be sure I dont mess something up.

Thanks

(Always looking for named/personalized/"altered" HJ knifes/bayos and Brannik/czech youth knifes)
OP Offline
Oh, and by the way, how does the result look? If I gently wipe the blade after applying the spray, can you still see rests of silicone then?

Does it leave a "greasy" surface, like gungrease, or a "hard" surface?

(Always looking for named/personalized/"altered" HJ knifes/bayos and Brannik/czech youth knifes)
L
L
Rather than starting a new thread, I'll add to this one. When I first started collecting dagggers and for many years thereafter, I used plain "Vasoline", petroleum jelly on my dagger/sword blades. Later on, for a reason I don't even remember, I went to gun oil instead.
My most recent switch was to "Marvel Super Lubricant", a "Marvel Mystery Oil" product.
Here, I have seen reference to using wax and I do use "Tree Wax"(sp?)on firearms and on the Gatling Gun when it is polished as well as other brass items.
It appears that there are as many methods of preservation for blades as collectors.
My question is this: "Is there a definitively BETTER preservation method than another"?
To my mind, since Silicon "displaces moisture and in so doing may prevent plated items from "bubbling", that self same Silicon is taking the place OF the moisture as it is "displacing" it!
That in mind, it would seem that one would not want another material "in" the tiny recess?
What therefore IS the difinitive answer? Gun oil? Silicon? Wax?--if wax WHY a particular brand? And, above all, WHY?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've always used those silicone treated "gun cloths" to wipe down and fondle Big Grin my Nazi swords and daggers every so often and have had very satisfactory results ever since I started collecting eight years ago. Use them on my other swords as well. However you have to be careful to get the ones only treated with silicone as some come treated with cleaning agents also and you don't want that. JohnJ

L
L
My question about Silicon is this. When I HAVE used it, it seems to dissapate very rapidly and as a consequence, I feel that there really isn't much of a "protective layer" of stuff very quickly after application.
With "Vasoline", I never had the feeling it was gone as it was visible. I am still wondering which product could be deemed, "the best"?
Lloyd

I
I
Iīm using a German oil named BALLISTOL only. Ballistol is the perfect multi purpose oil. It was invented around 1900 by the German chemist Friedrich Klever. Ballistol is the most unique and versatile lubricant made. It is water-soluble, protects metal, leather, and wood and is also a bore cleaner. In addition, it is a great insect repellant and first aid spray for minor sores and cuts. The German Army has used this product for decades and it is the best thing I have ever found for a multitude of uses, especially for my SA dagger blades. The only disadvantage: Ballistol has a unique aromatic scent that I donīt like.

OP Offline
ivbaust:
Sorry if I ask about something that you have already answered (have to blame my english teacher about that), but does it prevent graying/spots?

OP Offline
And ivbaust again:
Were can I get this oil from?

I
I
Hei HJ-Collector,

Go to the website

http://www.ballistol.de/

Itīs the German website of the company producing Ballistol. Unfortunately they do not have an English one.

However, move the cursor on the green area "Links unserer Partner" on the right side and click on "International".

Then you will find international dealers for this oil, e.g. in Sweden, Denmark or Norway.

I use it for all my blades (SA daggers, bayonets, trench knifes). I use it even for leather (SA hangers, SA belts) and wooden handles of my edged weapons. I never had problems with it.

As I wrote in my previous reply, it has been used decades by the German army and itīs in my opinion the best to prevent your edged weapons.

Let me know if have been able to find and to order it. If not, let me know, I can ship you a small aerosol can for testing.

I
I
I have used silicone spray on my edged wepons. Mostly because it is readly avaible at a local store. I clean them twice a year with semi-crome then silicone spray. It does seem to be a thin covering but works OK. Probaly not as good as other metioned treatments. Ian.

B
B
I will never use silicone again. I used spray silicone on a blade and didn't wipe it off. I put it on a stand in my display case and the area of the blade that was touching the glass shelf developed a stain over time. I don't know if it was a reaction to the glass, metal and silicone coming together or what, but I haven't used silicone since.

Weapons Collector
GDC Badge #0136
OP Offline
Thank you very much, ivbaust. I did manage to get to the swedish dealers site, and I will call them tomorrow. I will definitely try the product out.

And thanks to all of you other too for your tips and thoughts. Bob K, thanks for the warning. I will try Ballistol first.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,265,915 SS Bayonets
1,763,194 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,899 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Postwar Military PCs.
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 01:22 AM
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by Vik - 04/23/2024 02:22 PM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Gaspare - 04/23/2024 02:00 AM
S-98 nA. Bayonet
by lakesidetrader - 04/22/2024 01:57 PM
Latest New Posts
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/27/2024 05:41 PM
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/27/2024 04:45 PM
Rings & Things for the MAX
by Stephen - 04/27/2024 08:19 AM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Ric Ferrari - 04/26/2024 05:52 PM
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,670
Posts329,075
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
11 members (Documentalist, C. Wetzel-20609, Billy G., Stephen, Vern, Vik, Wade, benten, sellick8302@rogers.com, maybarker, atis), 622 guests, and 114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod