Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I am posting this is as a follow-on to the "Early Holler" string started by Janos. I am hoping that both Janos and Doug will respond and post.

I believe this Holler is a transitional piece between the earlier Hollers just mentioned and the Pack based Holler shown on page 35 of Wittmann's book.

trademark.jpg (108.97 KB, 489 downloads)
OP Offline
As you can see it is an early WKC based guard. However, it has enough differences that I believe qualify it as a unique variation. I should insert here that I have been gone from the forum for some time, so it is possible that a similar one has been uncovered.

fullhandle.jpg (105.43 KB, 485 downloads)
OP Offline
Close up.

ultraclose.JPG (109.36 KB, 477 downloads)
OP Offline
What makes it (in my opinion) a unique Holler guard is the tool work. On the picture above, notice the dark shadow in front of the eagle's beak and forehead, and then going over the top of the head. It is not tarnish, but removed material providing the shadow effect. The wings are also hand defined.

Finally, it has 2 features in common with the Wittmann pictured (page 35) guard. First, note the very round eye. They both have it. Next there is the unusual cresant shaped tool mark toward the back of the head. Here is the page 35 WIttmann guard.

durbek_guard.jpg (90.38 KB, 467 downloads)
OP Offline
Both together

double.jpg (90.45 KB, 466 downloads)
OP Offline
The scabbard bands are exactly the same - both with the little acorns hammered in. This seems to be unique to these early Hollers. Also the throats are identical as are the screws.

wkcg.jpg (85.41 KB, 466 downloads)
OP Offline
I see I just entered a picture of a WKC first model crossguard by mistake. Just as well. Note there is no shadow chiseled into the background around the beak and forehead. Also note the typical sleepy eye (not round) of the initial production WKC crossguard.

The bands are below:

top_bands.jpg (101.54 KB, 454 downloads)
OP Offline
Here are the side bands. Note the two acorns on each - strong Holler characteristic for this time period.

bandsides.jpg (97.82 KB, 449 downloads)
OP Offline
In summary, I believe there is a strong case for this dagger being a transitional slant variety - between the earlier slant and the Pack based Holler crossguard. I believe this because of the many similarities between this dagger and the Pack/Holler. Janos and Doug, I would be happy if you post your daggers.

Ford,
Its good to have you back active on the forum, I missed your detailed analysis and attention to detail.
With regard to your fantastic early Holler what I find interesting is the evidence of the initial WKC tooling still present under the Holler hand enhancing. You can clearly see the remains of the lazy eye and the unique Holler tool mark to the rear of the head is positive confirmation that the eagle was adapted by the Holler factory.
When you say a unique pattern, I take it you mean that Holler purchased and enhanced early WKC crossguards with Holler characteristics in the transition period between the Holler 1st & 2nd in house guards?.
Would it not be possible due to the early fittings on your dagger and the heavy hand enhancing that it pre-dates both of Hollers early recognised patterns?. We know that many other makers utilised the 1st WKC on early first run daggers, Holler in my opinion, just went the extra mile with the extensive hand enhancing and the subtle appearance alterations.

Here is the apparent 2nd pattern with pack guard, note the lack of crescent tool mark to the rear of the head.....not all Hollers have it.

holler.jpg (99.99 KB, 416 downloads)
OP Offline
Degens:

Thanks and it is good to be back. I too thought this Holler predates all others at first. However, there are a couple of reasons I think it is after the Janos/Doug guards. 1)ALthough I do not show it, the crossgraining of the center segment on my dagger is vertical. On Doug Ritchie's dagger, I believe I could see horizontal graining on the center segment. The (Wittmann Page 35) Pack guards all seem to have vertical graining on the center segment. 2) The scabbards on my Holler and the Pack based Holler are identical. THey both have those fine little acorns chiseled in between the leaf bands, and on the ends of the bands. The Janos/Ritchie guards have bands that typical of initial production on many early daggers - unless I missed something.

Your Holler is beautiful. It appears to have that heavy silvering that you see on early Hollers. I see that in addition to missing the cresant tool mark, it also does not have the little horizontal marks on the neck (a Wotan identified characteristic for these pieces). I am wondering if it has the tapered tang and if the scabbard is the same as the Pack type? It does seem to have a very high quality blade like the early Hollers - with the vertical graining.

Ford,
Your observations on the 1st pattern Holler scabbards is a good point and as you say puts your WKC beauty later in Hollers initial production run.
To be honest and based on the few 2nd Holler examples I have seen with these Pack fittings ( including Wittmanns pictures on page 35 ) I was starting to believe that this pattern was in fact the final design utilised by Holler. The reason I say this is basically the overall quality of the base metal and the plating to the fittings in comparison with the other designs, including the 3rd more common pattern is lacking.
Mine also came with a generic scabbard which would suggest a later production and I have seen at least one other.
I am unable to check the tang on this one, it has never been apart and the grip is firmly attached.....I would be suprised if it was tapered.

However, after looking at your example of the Pack variation I am not so sure, it appears to be early base metal and heavily silvered as you would expect on a guard that pre-dates the recognised 3rd type?, if it is tapered then my theory goes right out of the window!. Wittmann also suggests late construction on his example posted on page 35 which I find interesting!.

Hopefully with this thread others will be prompted to post their early Hollers and I will not have to update my website when I am proved wrong Smile.

L
L
My Holler has the identical cross guard as depicted in post #4 & the scabbard is also the same. It does have a tapered tang & the grain runs vertically up the central plane of the blade.

War is when your government tells you who the enemy is.
Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
Vaughan,
Of course, I forgot you had a type 2 as well. I have just re-checked your old e-mail. Well as Ford suggested he may well have an additional pattern that slots in between the 1st & 2nd Hollers.
Now that I have learned the Pack type 2 can indeed have a tapered tang I will have to try and get a peek at mine again.....my curiousity has been aroused. Post some pictures if you get a minute, I am sure Ford will appreciate the dagger.

L
L
Unfortunately I don`t have a working camera at the moment but have managed to find just two pics amongst my jumbled files.

Resize_of_02.jpg (72.69 KB, 367 downloads)

L
L
T`other

Resize_of_03.jpg (75.54 KB, 364 downloads)

L
L
I have just edited these to try & show more detail. The scabbard bands are a treat!

05.jpg (66.34 KB, 357 downloads)

L
L

06.jpg (64.29 KB, 356 downloads)

L
L
This one unfortunately not quite in focus

07.jpg (49.19 KB, 355 downloads)

OP Offline
Degens: Holler did go back to the Pack guard later in the period, and they did have the round eye, but no tool marks. I have examined or questioned others on about 8 of the Pack type guards with the cresent mark. They all had tapered tangs and vertical graining. Holler appears to have stayed with their vertical graining past their tapered tang period and then phased in horizontal graining again later on. The more common Holler guards can have vertical or horizontal graining on the center segment - depending on when the dagger was made. That is my opinion, but it is based upon observation. I agree your dagger looks late, and your scabbard supports that feeling, but the blade appears to have vertical graining - does it? If it does, I am as curious as you are about the tang.

Landser:
Your dagger is identical to mine in every way. It pre-dates the more common Holler guard. This is one of those very rare instances when Wittmann did not have it completely right. Thanks for posting your outstanding dagger.

All comments / pictures are welcome.

L
L
My pleasure. It is very interesting to note these small details & what makes this hobby so fascinating. I think your cross guard is absolutely wonderful. It is a joy to see the craftsmanship of the early heer daggers. In my opinion they have no equal.

Ford,
my camera is under service, so I can't make new shots of my H�ller dagger.
But I upload 3 pics what I have on my computer.
On the first photo you can see the ends of the scabbard bands.
Janos

darabokban2webre.jpg (98.9 KB, 271 downloads)
2nd photo

darabokbanweb.jpg (80.82 KB, 273 downloads)
3rd
Close up crossguard.

Ford,
you have a VERY interesting and rare dagger, congratulation!

jocrossguardwebre.jpg (98.96 KB, 269 downloads)
OP Offline
Janos:

Great early Holler. As I said, I believe it is the initial production version for the reasons I stated earlier in the string. Can you verify the direction of the graining on the center section? Is it horizontal or vertical?

Ford as every one said so nice to see you back. Can you really call this crossguard a unique variation? Or an early WKC no doubt hand finished by Holler as evident by the distinct tool marks not only on the crossguard but the scabbard. I have only seen the little acorns hand tooled in the scabbard bands on a Holler but an impressive deduction on the crossguard work. A dagger anyone would be proud to own.

Collecting Interests - Heer Daggers - Waffenrock - Portraits - http://WW2-Collector.com
R
R
Here are some pictures of my Holler and again just like the Klaas I am in the dark about the age of my daggers. I've been collecting edges for years but never compaired the makers until I signed up to this site. Here are the pictures and let me know what you think. Mark

OP Offline
Tom: Thanks and it is very good to be back. Regarding the uniqueness of the WKC/Holler guard, it is as unique as the Wittmann identified Pack/Holler guard pictured on page 35 of Wittmann�s army book. In both cases, Holler took a common guard with a sleepy eye (the pack second guard and the WKC initial guard) and added a round eye and a crescent tool mark. They carried the round eye over to their later and more common molded guard. It is indeed only a modified guard of another maker, but so is the Pack/Holler guard and so it the Weyersberg guard for that matter. Admittedly, declaring it is an undocumented guard is a bit of an oversell, but I did that just to add to the fun of the string and draw more readers. With more readers, I was hoping another one would surface. By the way, the provenance of this dagger is unquestionable. This the the Ronald Weinan ? (sorry for the spelling Ron)Holler that was offered for sale on the forum several years ago. He assured me it was veteran purchased. I was thrilled when I saw the unique tool work. To me it Hollers Holler. (You have to be from the south to get that.) By the way Tom, I know you already know everything I stated above, but thanks for letting me say it again. I really want another one of these to pop up.

Ritterkreuz: Your dagger is correct. It has the common molded Holler crossguard for sure and appears to have the Holler pommel. The generic scabbard is correct for the dagger, especially with the white handle. Very attractive handle by the way. I am assuming it is not ivory. Your dagger is not an early one, but very appealing nonetheless and absolutely correct.

R
R
The handle isn't ivory, I wish it was, but its not. I have had this dagger for about 10 years now and take it down off the wall once a year to oil the blade and clean off the dust. Thanks, Mark

OP Offline
Here is another of the undocumented Holler guards that I was able to locate last month. The dagger has many similarities to the Holler that is the subject of this sting. You can clearly see the crescent mark in the back of the head. As with the subject Holler, this one also has material removed from around the head to and add depth to the head. The work on this guard though is far superior. The handwork is expertly applied, and much more material has been removed, giving a much more three dimensional look. I have never seen this much material removed from a guard. It is truly remarkable in person. The darker areas around the head are all the result of removed material.

lt3-1.jpg (103.94 KB, 206 downloads)
OP Offline
Here are the two eagles perched together. You can see the hogged out areas around both heads, as well as the crescent tool mark. Again the work on the darker Holler is far superior. I believe it to be an earlier example.

twins_3-1.jpg (86.05 KB, 207 downloads)
OP Offline
Here is the darker Holler enjoying a little Florida Sunshine. You can clearly see the tool marks where material was hogged out on both sides of the eagles head resulting is darker areas, that are really shadows created by the concave effect. Also note the shadow created by the eagle�s beak, because it is relatively high off the surface.

sunshine_eagle.jpg (91.79 KB, 202 downloads)
OP Offline
The darker Holler is covered in black patina, but there are also very light spots. For example, the sides of the scabbard are light colored. At first I thought it was a case of lacquer gone wild, but I no longer believe that is the case.

full_dagger.jpg (89.18 KB, 200 downloads)
OP Offline
Both daggers displayed side by side. The pommel work on the darker dagger is better executed, though the pommels are the same. Again, I believe the darker Holler is slightly earlier.

two_fulls.jpg (106.95 KB, 197 downloads)
OP Offline
Here are both scabbards displayed side by side. The bands are identical. However, the darker holler has a more rounded throat. In fact the throat looks like the Initial Production Holler belonging to Janos. Again, I believe this is evidence that the darker Holler is the ealier.

2_scabs-1.jpg (106.25 KB, 196 downloads)
OP Offline
Here is the back of the darker Holler. It has the typical Holler single center set screw.

screw.jpg (103.78 KB, 194 downloads)
OP Offline
Oh yes, the maker mark on the darker Holler. Note the uneven patina????

trademark-1.jpg (109.57 KB, 193 downloads)
OP Offline
I believe this establishes once and for all the existence of another Holler variant, in between the initial production Hollers, and the Holler guards based upon the Pack 2nd style. I would like to hear the opinion of others.

Ford great dagger and research

Collecting Interests - Heer Daggers - Waffenrock - Portraits - http://WW2-Collector.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,266,404 SS Bayonets
1,763,786 Teno Insignia Set
1,132,456 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
AWS Alcoso quality tag
by BretVanSant - 05/03/2024 04:08 AM
Site Down
by Vern - 05/02/2024 11:55 PM
Pipes old and new
by Mikee - 05/01/2024 09:40 PM
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Stephen - 05/01/2024 12:40 PM
Latest New Posts
Russian silver skull & snakes ring
by Gaspare - 05/03/2024 10:07 PM
Imperial Graphic Arts ...
by Dean Perdue - 05/03/2024 09:30 PM
F Dula with a twist
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 05/03/2024 08:38 PM
3rd reich cards/photos
by Dean Perdue - 05/03/2024 07:18 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,669
Posts329,094
Members7,524
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gaspare, Dean Perdue, Dave, Evgeniy), 644 guests, and 87 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod