Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Chris M Offline OP
OP Offline
I thought this was an interesting photo. An army pioneer battalion commander, wearing a splinter pattern smock. So where did an army officer get a Luftwaffe smock before June 6? (And it looks like his trousers are about a foot too long!)

Army_in_smock.jpg (64.85 KB, 403 downloads)
Chris

Interesting photo. This one has me stumped so I am afraid that I cannot give an intelligent answer. The only thing that comes to mind is, one of those "it was available, so I took it, and I am going to wear it" type of scenarios. Will be interesting to see what others say.

I guess this photo, and others like it, beg the question: How aware were the Germans at this time, and were they really concerned with the concept of, "this is SS camo vs Lw.Splinter camo, this is a paratrooper camo jacket vs some other type of camo jacket" etc. I don't know the answer to this but I think its an interesting question. Sometimes I think modern collectors are much more aware of what was supposed to go where, than some of them were.

EQ

That�s an awesome picture of what is possible in war.

Sure, it looks like an exception...but how many exception of straight rules could we find in wartimes... I would love to hear the soldiers story thought.

This other picture comes in my mind.....(taken in Narvik after the end of combat action)

narvik.jpg (66.14 KB, 384 downloads)

Cheers

Gerd
Y
Y
Hello everyone!!
First post here for me.

In Chris's Soldat book (p.262) one can find another photo of a Heer Officer wearing a Luftwaffe Ground combat jacket.

I would assume in a war, especially in the front lines, a soldier would wear what was available/found to help him survive the war and elements. I don't think this would have been much of an issue except maybe in time of troop inspections where everyone would strive to be spit and polish.

Best wishes
Yannis

Chris M Offline OP
OP Offline
Presumably, though, a paratrooper smock was an accountable piece of equipment. When an officer or an enlisted man was issued a smock (or even a pair of socks), a notation to that effect was put in his Soldbuch, and he had to sign for it. I could understand if, in the middle of a retreat or in the heat of battle, a guy found one and picked it up and used it. But this is in the peaceful springtime of 1944 in France, before D-Day. How does an Army guy walk into a Fallschirmj�ger equipment depot and get one issued to him?

A bottle of brandy/Scotch, or some good cigars, or similar items always motivate supply clerks to the highest efficiency Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Dave

Y
Y
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hohaus:
A bottle of brandy/Scotch, or some good cigars, or similar items always motivate supply clerks to the highest efficiency Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Dave

That was my thinking too after Chris's post.
Judging from experience a nice offer to the supply depot clerk works wonders... don't know if it worked that way for the Germans of the time though.

I
I
In the first picture the top half looks fine. Now look at the bottom half. Whats up with his feet? Is he waring boots and why are his pants so long? I'll bet he wasn't running around in the feild like that. I am not too familiar with smocks but that one on him looks almost like a dress. Just some observations, Ian.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Chris
Officers have a lot of leeway, especially in a combat enviroment.
You could pretty much wear what you wanted to...most staff weenies won't say a thing. They just look the other way, because they do not want/or can deal with the rath of a combat veteran.
They have a lot of other things to worry about.
There are numerous examples going on right now in the US Army in SW Asia

Of course you are right in a retreat/rout all bets are......

Just my opinion

I.ll bet his waffenfarb is red and he is a foreward artillery observer attached to the unit.???????

Heres a fine picture from the excellent book Green Devils. Shows an Adj. Bliss wearing an example of an electric heated Luftwaffe flight jacket. This type is velour lined that came in both leather and cloth, I believe this to be cloth. Also officers shoulder boards and breast eagle. A mystery as to why the left breast is scratched away, medals etc.? Bill Bourque

para11.jpg (57.17 KB, 251 downloads)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,267,607 SS Bayonets
1,764,609 Teno Insignia Set
1,133,637 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
WW2 Australian (RAAF) Liberator Clockwork Movie Camera
by sturmbrigade - 05/12/2024 10:42 PM
Interesting TK ring
by equirhodont - 05/12/2024 04:45 PM
Picture of vertical hanger 48/40
by kreta1961 - 05/12/2024 02:51 PM
FALSE MONEY THREADS
by wotan - 05/09/2024 02:59 PM
Typeface/font used on SA, SS daggers.
by AfterMath - 05/07/2024 07:53 PM
Latest New Posts
Big flags! Any flags! Who has them!
by Cameron - 05/13/2024 05:49 AM
WW2 Australian (RAAF) Liberator Clockwork Movie Camera
by sturmbrigade - 05/12/2024 10:42 PM
Picture of vertical hanger 48/40
by kreta1961 - 05/12/2024 08:58 PM
Iron Crosses!
by ed773 - 05/12/2024 08:43 PM
Interesting TK ring
by Tanker - 05/12/2024 04:59 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,677
Posts329,203
Members7,531
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
5 members (benten, Stephen, Documentalist, Cameron, jean), 494 guests, and 73 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod