UBB.threads
Posted By: militarymania inf officer visor,,,good or bad?? - 11/29/2008 10:54 PM
next up for your consideration is a very nice inf off visor,,what about this one,thumbs up or down?..thanks to all who respond,,Robert

Attached picture inf_hat_1.jpg
Posted By: militarymania Re: inf officer visor,,,good or bad?? - 11/29/2008 10:55 PM
pic # 2

Attached picture inf_hat_2.jpg
Posted By: militarymania Re: inf officer visor,,,good or bad?? - 11/29/2008 10:56 PM
pic #3

Attached picture inf_hat_3.jpg
Posted By: militarymania Re: inf officer visor,,,good or bad?? - 11/29/2008 10:57 PM
last one...

Attached picture inf_hat_4.jpg
Posted By: AussieDave Re: inf officer visor,,,good or bad?? - 11/30/2008 10:09 AM
Any makers marks impressed in the leather sweatband?

A complete lack of makers marks is unusual for officer's caps (because they were all tailor made). Yellow lining with no makers marks is usually other ranks (because they were generally issued, and made in bulk on government contracts), but this does not have the usual tellerform shape of such caps.

David!
Posted By: militarymania Re: inf officer visor,,,good or bad?? - 11/30/2008 03:29 PM
i have been looking closely at the last pic or the interior of the hat,,it seems to me that i can just barely make out the edge line of a sweat diamond,,,does anyone else see that,,and the area to slip a name tag in the slot of the diamond?..Robert
Posted By: Landser Re: inf officer visor,,,good or bad?? - 11/30/2008 05:45 PM
The interior is commensurate with what I would expect to see as is the underside of the visor.
I think it is really very difficult to be certain with anything these days without an in hand inspection unless the source is reputable.
Posted By: AussieDave Re: inf officer visor,,,good or bad?? - 11/30/2008 10:03 PM
Robert,

I see the area you are talking about. It looks like there was once a sweat diamond there, of the right format. But still, ask the seller if there are any impressions in the sweatband.

This sort of piece needs careful examination.

David!
Posted By: militarymania Re: inf officer visor,,,good or bad?? - 11/30/2008 11:15 PM
hi all,,,many thanks for your observations and knowledgeable statements...Robert
Posted By: BILL RALPH Re: inf officer visor,,,good or bad?? - 12/13/2008 02:14 AM
Robert, another thing to look for is cross hatching impressions on the underside of the visor.This seems to be an important characteristic of period caps. Good luck!
Posted By: militarymania Re: inf officer visor,,,good or bad?? - 12/13/2008 02:51 AM
thanks bill,,,will do,,,Robert
Posted By: timothy downum Re: inf officer visor,,,good or bad?? - 11/29/2013 09:47 AM
Could be EM with addition of chin cord cap looks OK timothy
This is a good period piece from the pictures provided. No issues here. It is possible that it has been upgraded to officer status but one would have to examine the cap in order to determine. It was not entirely un common practice, especially if it was an officer grade material NCO visor cap. cheers and regards, Ryan
© Your new forums