UBB.threads
Posted By: Petsamo Mountain Troop Officers Tunic - 10/15/2008 04:16 PM
Hello All,
I would like to hear your opinion about this thing.

Description: foto 1
Attached picture foto_1.jpg
Posted By: Petsamo Re: Mountain Troop Officers Tunic - 10/15/2008 04:29 PM
foto 2

Description: foto 2
Attached picture foto_2.jpg
Posted By: Petsamo Re: Mountain Troop Officers Tunic - 10/15/2008 04:31 PM
foto 3

Description: 3
Attached picture foto_3.jpg
Posted By: Petsamo Re: Mountain Troop Officers Tunic - 10/15/2008 04:33 PM
foto 4

Description: 4
Attached picture foto_4.jpg
Posted By: Petsamo Re: Mountain Troop Officers Tunic - 10/15/2008 04:34 PM
foto 5

Description: 5
Attached picture foto_5.jpg
Posted By: Petsamo Re: Mountain Troop Officers Tunic - 10/15/2008 04:34 PM
foto 6

Description: 6
Attached picture foto_6.jpg
Posted By: Petsamo Re: Mountain Troop Officers Tunic - 10/15/2008 04:35 PM
foto 7

Description: 7
Attached picture foto_7.jpg
Posted By: Petsamo Re: Mountain Troop Officers Tunic - 10/15/2008 04:36 PM
foto 8

Description: 8
Attached picture foto_8.jpg
Posted By: Petsamo Re: Mountain Troop Officers Tunic - 10/15/2008 04:38 PM
foto 9

Description: 9
Attached picture foto_9.jpg
Posted By: Petsamo Re: Mountain Troop Officers Tunic - 10/15/2008 04:39 PM
foto 10

Description: 10
Attached picture foto_10.jpg
Posted By: paulj Re: Mountain Troop Officers Tunic - 10/16/2008 04:03 AM
Hmmm..just for comparison, here's an original Mt Inf Officer's Sleeve Insignia.

Attached picture mtp.JPG
Posted By: Phatt Re: Mountain Troop Officers Tunic - 10/16/2008 11:40 AM
I'm with you paulj, didn't like the Edelweiss either.
Posted By: Doug Kenwright Re: Mountain Troop Officers Tunic - 10/17/2008 08:09 AM
more than likely a restored private purchase officers tunic, with a generic cut..the edelweiss is bad...looks to be made in gabardine?

The 91st mountain infanterie regiment was a part of 4th mountain division under Oberst Stettner ritter v. Grabenhofen.They were based in Ulm and saw action in the Balkans and were a part of army group south from the beginning of the Russian campaign
Posted By: AussieDave Re: Mountain Troop Officers Tunic - 10/19/2008 12:14 AM
A couple of other points.

First, the waffenfarbe looks more Administrative Dark Green, or Pz Grenadier Grass Green than Gebirgs Light Green.

I realise this gebirgs actually used a wide range of greens, but every gebirgs tunic I own has a light shade than this, and it does more closely match Admin and Pz Grenadier tunics I own.

Second point. Did you notice the Gebirgs Edelweiss was sewn on, not using badge cloth green thread? This was one colour thread tailors had lots of, because they needed it for attaching collar tabs to officer's uniforms (as per this uniform).

If they didn't use badge cloth green, they generally used black thread, not grey, precisely because they don't want the stitching to stand out.

IMO this is probably an Admin or Pz Gren uniform that has been converted to Gebirgs, by the addition of Edelweiss and eppaulette numerals.

For information, since I tend to collect field use uniforms, my only Gebirgs officer's tunic has a lower cut collar, and Bevo edelweiss (with silver rather than white piton, of course).

Hope this helps.

David!
Posted By: AussieDave Re: Mountain Troop Officers Tunic - 10/19/2008 12:32 AM
Another point occurred to me when I was reviewing this.

Did you notice this is actually an old style tunic? It is the six button version introduced in October 1928 (before that, it was eight buttons), with the slanted lower pockets.

It is a pity someone felt the need to monkey with it, as even with a boring waffenfarbe, as some collectors would still have valued it.

These tunics were replaced in 1933, with a wear out date for first line units of March 1942 (but no such date applied to Generals and second line or training units).

This lends credence to the idea of the wearer being in a non-frontline function, such as Admin. These tunics were often pictured being worn by such people.

David!
Posted By: Doug Kenwright Re: Mountain Troop Officers Tunic - 10/19/2008 02:35 AM
Good points David..identifying greens can be one of the most confusing/hardest aspects of identifying waffenfarbe.The amount of loops (or rather the lack of same?) would point to a rear echelon type..Hindenburg cross, war merit type of officer...
Posted By: Petsamo Re: Mountain Troop Officers Tunic - 10/19/2008 02:35 PM
Doug Kenwright aka "KURSK", paulj, Phatt, David, thank you for your participation. I've found the similar edelvace on the site of https://www.weitze.net/
Is it likely that such rendering could be in that time? Is there anybody to display photos of original variants of edelvace? Thank you.
Posted By: Petsamo Re: Mountain Troop Officers Tunic - 10/19/2008 02:36 PM
�rmelabzeichen f�r Gebirgsj�ger Offiziersausf�hrung Metallfaden handgestickte Ausf�hrung f�r Offiziere, auf dunkelgr�nem Tuch, leicht getragen, Zustand 2.

Attached picture 01.jpg
Posted By: Petsamo Re: Mountain Troop Officers Tunic - 10/19/2008 02:40 PM
David, thank you very much for detailed approach, a lot of valuable experience. Is it possible to see your tunic of a mountain chasseur?
I would like to see the original shade of the green colour mountain chasseur.

Thank you, Vladimir.
Posted By: bernd Re: Mountain Troop Officers Tunic - 10/20/2008 04:16 AM
Vladimir: Look under " Let's see Waffenrocks !" posted on 28July2008 under this section .
On page 4 I posted my Mtn.Trp.Oblt. tunic; --you might want to take a look at it to compare with your's for the 'true' colors and OFFICER'S SLEEVE edelweiss !
Posted By: Petsamo Re: Mountain Troop Officers Tunic - 10/20/2008 02:49 PM
Bernd, thank you very much!
Rare and beautiful things! I'll look through the whole topic very attentively.
Vladimir.
© Your new forums