UBB.threads
Posted By: Phatt Luft tabs offered, opinions please. - 01/11/2009 04:06 PM
I was offered this small lot.Luft colar tabs and a postcard.The collars are still stiched together.The seller asks $80 for this lot.Please let me know what do you think of the items and the price.Thank you, Sotis.

Posted By: Eric Wien Re: Luft tabs offered, opinions please. - 01/12/2009 07:12 AM
Phatt/ Sotis,
I'm no expert on these but mine are mint originals confirmed by a few dealers and advanced collectors apon in hand inspection. Compare those to mine, i'm not comfortable on telling you what to do here so judge for yourself. A stright on shot would help if you can request one also have the seller use a flash or better lighting.
I paid $75.00 shipped for these 3 years ago.

Maybe someone else who knows more will help out.

Attached picture Luft_tabs_1.jpg
Posted By: Eric Wien Re: Luft tabs offered, opinions please. - 01/12/2009 07:14 AM
Reverse on mine are more neat in construction but again i'm not expert.

Attached picture Luft_Tabs_2.jpg
Posted By: PaulR Re: Luft tabs offered, opinions please. - 01/13/2009 12:14 PM
Both sets are textbook and 100% legit. No question about it!
Posted By: Phatt Re: Luft tabs offered, opinions please. - 01/14/2009 12:48 AM
Thank you so much Eric and PaulR!
Posted By: joemustang65 Re: Luft tabs offered, opinions please. - 01/18/2009 12:05 PM
Paul,

could you explain why?
what are the things we should look for?
also how does an UV test works on these?

thx
joe
Posted By: PaulR Re: Luft tabs offered, opinions please. - 01/18/2009 12:27 PM
Hi Joe,

First off, the UV test is inaccurate, as there are plenty of cloth items from the WW2 era and much earlier that glow. There are tabs that do indeed glow under a black light.

Example- Period tabs in pink will glow with an orange hue. Also, there are period threads I have seen that glow white.

Other things I look for are:

1. texture of the badge cloth
2. manner in which the outer piping is attached to the tab
3. method used in embroidering the gulls(several different methods I find acceptable)
4. material the buckram is made of(there are MANY acceptable variations I have seen, including a hand towel!).
Posted By: joemustang65 Re: Luft tabs offered, opinions please. - 01/18/2009 08:14 PM
Thx Paul,
Is there a good website or book with more information.
or should I just post some pics on the forum?

cheers
Posted By: PaulR Re: Luft tabs offered, opinions please. - 01/18/2009 08:41 PM
Hey Joe,

There are no books on LW tabs, per se. The best thing you can do is to post items for review until you get a good idea of what is good and what is not. There are a lot of fakes out there now.. some are more convincing than others.

Paul
Posted By: Phatt Re: Luft tabs offered, opinions please. - 02/20/2009 09:11 PM
The tabs are here afterall, and I'm giving you some proper pics to look.Please share your opinions.Thank you.

HG pair also from the same seller

This card (postcard?) was a bonus with the tabs.Anyone can translate?

Posted By: Phatt Re: Luft tabs offered, opinions please. - 02/22/2009 08:47 PM
PaulR, any thoughts?Anyone else?
Posted By: PaulR Re: Luft tabs offered, opinions please. - 02/22/2009 09:34 PM
The first set are good. I am 50/50 on the HG tabs. I would have to look at those in hand to come up with a final determination.
Posted By: Phatt Re: Luft tabs offered, opinions please. - 02/22/2009 10:57 PM
I see...I believe the pics are good, so there's nothing else we could do from this distance.
Do you think a UV test would help?
© Your new forums