UBB.threads
Posted By: ORPO Cavalry Officer Sword - 10/14/2007 03:02 PM
Gents,

I picked up a nice Japanese Cavalry Officer Sword at a local gun show this weekend. It is the Russo-Japanese War style made after 1886.

Attached picture Jap_Cav_Off_sword.JPG
Posted By: ORPO Re: Cavalry Officer Sword - 10/14/2007 03:04 PM
The sword has a plated machine made blade with a false Hamon along the edge. The sword is uncleaned and unmessed with and the blade is in very nice condition.

Attached picture Jap_Cav_Off_sword_blade.JPG
Posted By: ORPO Re: Cavalry Officer Sword - 10/14/2007 03:07 PM
The interesting thing is that the grip is made of horn instead of sharkskin and the blade is peened at the pommel. The hilt retains a considerable amount of gilt.

Attached picture Jap_Cav_Off_sword_hilt.JPG
Posted By: ORPO Re: Cavalry Officer Sword - 10/14/2007 03:08 PM
Here is a veiw of the only marking found on the sword. Any idea of who the maker is?

Attached picture Jap_Cav_Off_sword_markings.JPG
Posted By: Jareth Holub Re: Cavalry Officer Sword - 10/15/2007 02:38 AM
A hard to find variant! Nice sword. Often overlooked or misidentified!
Posted By: ORPO Re: Cavalry Officer Sword - 10/15/2007 02:25 PM
Thanks Jareth. You are quite right about mis-identification. The seller also had a common company grade Army parade sword and he thought that this was simply a variation of the parade saber and had priced it $100 less than the more common sword. It made this one underpriced and the common sword overpriced, so it worked out well for me.

I have seen Toyoda maker markings on the underside of the guard but I am unfamiliar with the "YE" maker mark. Any ideas who this mark may represent?
© Your new forums