UBB.threads
Posted By: anonymous 123 Japanese bringback sword - 10/16/2010 11:03 PM
I acquired this sword along with a rifle this morning that I've posted over in the firearms forum. It's a run-of-the-mill Japanese sword that is--until you pull the blade out of the scabbard. I usually don't like GI enhanced war throphys but this one has a special appeal to me because of the engraved documentation.
I've always had a hard time photographing blades so the engraved inscription here reads:
"Glen Dunkel USMC Japan 1945 Served Aboard USS Wilkes Barre 4-4-46"

The Wilkes Barre had a very distinguished career in the Pacific Theater and anyone interested can peruse that attached link:

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-w/cl103.htm
Jim

Attached picture 2010_1016remingtonrb0005.JPG
Attached picture 2010_1016remingtonrb0006.JPG
Attached picture 2010_1016remingtonrb0008.JPG
Posted By: PAULZAYA Re: Japanese bringback sword - 10/16/2010 11:49 PM
hello jim- nice sword. my mother came from wilkes barre pa. i have relatives there i went there many,manny time when i was a kid. thanks for bringing back some sweet memories. thanks paul
Posted By: [email protected] Re: Japanese bringback sword - 10/18/2010 04:36 PM
Jim,

I live in a town just outside of Wilkes-Barre and when I was growing up several of my neighbors told me that they had served on the ship.

At present the anchor of the ship is on display at the Luzerne Count Courthouse in Wilkes-Barre, PA.

richard Kuchta
Posted By: Serge (aka Wagner) Re: Japanese bringback sword - 10/30/2010 07:47 PM
Nice catch there Jim. I like it. Congrats ! -serge-
Posted By: Mark Giannullo Re: Japanese bringback sword - 11/27/2010 04:35 AM
Very NICE find.. Nice to get those personalized items. I have been to Wilkes Barre, myself. Back in the early-mid 70's(?) there was a BAD flood out that way and my reserve unit(699th Engrs) asked for volunteers to go & help out. Me, my cousin & our C.O. drove out in a large Dump truck to help. We moved ruined furniture from the middle of the street, where people would pile their ruined treasures and take the load to some cliff where we would dump all that stuff down over the cliff. A VERY SAD thing to see. The people there were of very strong caliber, though. They took it all in stride.. Haven't been back since....Peace, Mark
© Your new forums