UBB.threads
Posted By: egclimb3 My First *** sword, comments please - 07/14/2007 02:57 AM
missing end cap of scabbard, missing a chunk of scabbard throat, missing a pinkies width chunk of the blade 4 inches from the tip, scuffed up grip wrap in the middle, both menuki's present, stunning fittings though, no marks on the blade tang, 1 hole tang, any thoughts on possible dates? value? I know its not the crown jewel.

Description: jap1
Attached picture DSC01038jap_1.jpg
Posted By: egclimb3 Re: My First *** sword, comments please - 07/14/2007 02:58 AM
more pics

Description: jap2
Attached picture DSC01045jap_7.jpg
Posted By: egclimb3 Re: My First *** sword, comments please - 07/14/2007 02:58 AM
pics

Attached picture DSC01050jap_4.jpg
Posted By: egclimb3 Re: My First *** sword, comments please - 07/14/2007 03:00 AM
some more

Attached picture DSC01051jap_5.jpg
Posted By: egclimb3 Re: My First *** sword, comments please - 07/14/2007 03:01 AM
even more

Attached picture DSC01053jap_6.jpg
Posted By: egclimb3 Re: My First *** sword, comments please - 07/14/2007 03:02 AM
grip

Attached picture DSC01042jap_2.jpg
Posted By: SteveRay Re: My First *** sword, comments please - 07/14/2007 02:46 PM
Nice mounts (Fuchi-kashira)on the handle. The black part of the metal (Saku)is a copper and silver mix that makes a very stable black color, hard to do with metal, the gold color is a gold plate over the saku. The menuki (the pieces under the wrap) appear to be the same. I would like to see more close ups.
It would be easier to guesstimate an approximate date of the blade if I could see the tang, (the unpolished metal part of the handle under the tsuka ,grip,)
It appears to be an older blade. The sword gaurd (tsuba) is a nice old iron fighting tsuba probably Edo period (1600 to 1860 AD).
While it is not pristene as you have pointed out it is still a nice Katana (long sword). Good old Samaurai swords like this one are getting very hard to find.
There are artists that can rewrap sword handles for around $200.00 or less. I think it would be a wise investment to make. It improves the appearance display of the blade. As you said not pristene. But a treasure indeed. I like it.
Steve
Posted By: egclimb3 Re: My First *** sword, comments please - 07/16/2007 02:36 AM
been out of town all weekend, thank you for your knowledge on this. now my wife will believe me when I told her how old this thing is! my limited experience (about 15 years) and I am reminded on many occasions that it is limited is in WW2 German militaria. I will get some more pics up this week, thanks again Eric
Posted By: egclimb3 Re: My First *** sword, comments please - 07/16/2007 02:38 AM
I also need to add that the scabbard is longer than the blade, so it is not a katana, was told that previously.and that it did not originally come this this exact blade. I will post the length and tang pics soon.
© Your new forums