UBB.threads
Posted By: spencer v Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 02/04/2008 04:39 PM
Hey Guys. Just indirectly picked up this beatiful Japanese sword. I have done some research, and wanted to see what you guys think. This is a Shin Shinto period sword. The Smith who made this sword belonged to the school of Yokoyama Skemitsu in the Bizen province, and worked in Mito, Hitachi province. Its a Yokoyama Bizen Blade. Dated 1865. The sword is about 28 inches long (massive). Its in Perfect condition, and is real stunning. My sister Boyfriend is a sword collector so he was a huge help in getting the info. The long writeing on the left side of the tang could not be translated. Mabye some one here could help. This sword was pulled of a dead Japanese officer. I never thought i would find something like this. Its amazing to look at.

Attached picture ls_sword_in_scabbard.jpg
Posted By: spencer v Re: Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 02/04/2008 04:39 PM
handel

Attached picture handel.jpg
Posted By: spencer v Re: Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 02/04/2008 04:41 PM
Tang side one right side

Attached picture Tang_side_one_.jpg
Posted By: spencer v Re: Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 02/04/2008 04:41 PM
tang right side UC

Attached picture upper_part_1_.jpg
Posted By: spencer v Re: Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 02/04/2008 04:42 PM
Tang right side lower part

Attached picture lower_part_.jpg
Posted By: spencer v Re: Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 02/04/2008 04:43 PM
Tang 2 left side

Attached picture Tang_side_2_ls.jpg
Posted By: spencer v Re: Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 02/04/2008 04:44 PM
uc left side tang

Attached picture uc_tang_side_2.jpg
Posted By: spencer v Re: Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 02/04/2008 04:45 PM
Bottom tang left side

Attached picture bottom_of_tang.jpg
Posted By: spencer v Re: Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 02/04/2008 04:46 PM
l

Attached picture chissled_part.jpg
Posted By: spencer v Re: Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 02/04/2008 04:46 PM
HARMON LINE

Attached picture Harmon_line_1.jpg
Posted By: spencer v Re: Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 02/04/2008 04:47 PM
GOTTA LOVE IT

Attached picture great_haromn_shot.jpg
Posted By: spencer v Re: Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 02/04/2008 05:06 PM
FOR GOT TO ADD A NICE LONG SHOT

Attached picture LS_2.jpg
Posted By: Walter Re: Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 02/05/2008 01:33 AM
Beautiful sword, Spencer!
Congrats!
I like the habaki.
You may submit this sword to Nihonto Message Board.
The guys over there stay away from Showa-to swords but if it's Shin Shinto period you'll get the answers pretty fast.
Lot of Japanese guys there too, so the translation shouldn't be a problem.
Posted By: spencer v Re: Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 02/05/2008 03:29 AM
Thanks Walter. This sword is pushing me away from german daggers. I posted this sword on the forum you recomended so we will see. I will update when i get more info. Any one elese
Posted By: spencer v Re: Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 02/05/2008 01:26 PM
Walter thoes guys at the Nihonto Message board really know there stuff. What a great forum. I got a little more info on the other side of the tang. I will post it below. Does anyone know how many times the blade was folded. thanks. Translation below.

? (kun) = lord
? (sei) = sincerity
? (kon) = spirit
? (gi) = justice
? (chu) = loyalty
Posted By: Walter Re: Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 02/06/2008 01:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by spencer victory:
Walter thoes guys at the Nihonto Message board really know there stuff. What a great forum....

Yes, those guys are really experts when comes to Nihon-to blades.
I'm currently lurking since few weeks on this board - having just Showa-to pieces I have nothing to show them...so far.
quote:
This sword is pushing me away from german daggers...

Exactly my point ... and "problem" - I'm watching my two Showa period katanas (3rd is still on mail) and have found that German pieces are not THAT appealing any longer to me.
Now I want a REAL Nihon-to katana (and probably a wakizaschi) and I'm preparing myself to pay a considerable amount of $$$ for that, so I started to sell some of my stuff (What a PAIN!). Roll Eyes
If you ever want to get rid of your Shin Shinto, just drop me an email ... Cool
Posted By: Bob Coleman Re: Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 02/06/2008 02:23 AM
JUST FOR CLARIFICATION, THE TERM SHINSHINTO TRANSLATES TO "NEW NEW SWORD." IT IS A DESCRIPTION OF THE SWORD ITSELF AND NOT THE ERA IN WHICH IT WAS MADE. THE ERA IS THE LATE EDO PERIOD. THE EDO PERIOD ENDS WITH THE FALL OF THE TOKUGAWA SHOGUNATE AND THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE POWER UNDER THE EMPEROR MEIJI. IN THE SIXTH YEAR OF HIS REIGN, MEIJI PASSED THE HATTORI, WHICH PROHIBITED THE WEARING OR MAKING OF SWORDS. THIS WAS THE END OF THE SAMURAI ERA. SWORD MAKING BEGAN AGAIN AT THE BEGINING OF THE 20TH CENTURY ALONG WITH THE RISE OF MILITARISM IN JAPAN. HOWEVER, MUCH OF THE ART HAD BEEN LOST DURING THE ABSENCE OF ONE GENERATION OF SWORD MAKERS.
CONGRATULATIONS ON OBTAINING A VERY NICE SWORD.
BOB
Posted By: Dow Cross Re: Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 02/06/2008 02:33 AM
Stunning sword. I too like the habaki and the harmon.
Posted By: Walter Re: Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 02/06/2008 02:41 AM
Thank you Bob for explanation!
As a newbie I have started to learn about Japanese swords and realized that it's more than a rocket-science! Eek
Have also found the same definition of Shin-Shinto ... and other swords-making periods:

- Jokoto Period (Ancient Times [<800])
- Koto Period (Old Times [800-1596])
- Shinto Period (New Sword [1596-1781])
- Shin-Shinto Period (New-New Sword [1781-1876])
- Gendaito Period (Modern Sword [1876-1945])
- Meiji Period [1876-1912]
- Taisho Period [1912-1926]
- Showa Period [1926-1945]
- Shinsakuto (Newly Made Sword [1953-present])

The Shin Shinto Period (New-New Sword) 1781-1876:
This period terminates at the restoration of the emperor Mutsuhito in 1868 and in 1876 wearing the sword was prohibited by law.
The demands for swords dropped rapidly and many smiths started forging knifes and forks.

I was also VERY surprised there was another Showa Period: 1312 - 1317
Posted By: spencer v Re: Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 02/07/2008 03:30 PM
Bob And Walter

Thanks for helping Me out on this. Japanese Swords are like Rocket science. I will take this info and put it in the bank. I got the sword out of the scabbard last night, and boy did it put a smile on my face. What a sword.
Posted By: S.Vestae Re: Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 02/07/2008 04:08 PM
Hello All,

fantastic blade !!! Eek Eek Eek

I would love to have this one

Seb.
Posted By: Walter Re: Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 02/07/2008 04:55 PM
quote:
...The sword is about 28 inches long (massive)...

Spencer,
One question:
28 inches is the full length of sword (from pommel to tip) or the length of the blade?
Posted By: Bob Coleman Re: Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 02/08/2008 12:35 AM
LOOKING AT THS BLADE, I WOULD GUESS THE ORIGINAL CUTTING EDGE WAS BETWEEN 31"-32". LONG MASSIVE SWORDS EMULATING THOSE MADE DURING THE NAMBOKUCHO PERIOD, WHEN THERE WAS A CIVIL WAR BETWEEN TWO SEPERATE IMPERIAL COURTS, WERE ORDERED AND WORN BY SAMURAI FAVORING THE RESTORATION OF THE EMPEROR'S POWER. THIS FORM OF SWORD WAS NICKNAMED "KINSHI****O." AT THE TIME OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR, THESE SWORDS FROM THE LATE EDO PERIOD WERE NOT HIGHLY VALUED AND MANY, AS THIS BLADE, WERE MADE MACHI OKURI HAVING THE CUTTING EDGE SHORTENED FROM THE NAKAGO END. THIS IS EVIDENCED BY THE SECOND HOLE AND THE BRIGHTER TANG STEEL THAT WAS ONCE CUTTING EDGE.
BOB
Posted By: Bob Coleman Re: Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 02/08/2008 12:40 AM
THE WORD PARATIALLY OBLETERATED IS KINSHISHI PLUS THE LETTER "TO."
Posted By: spencer v Re: Vet Acquired Shin Shinto period blade - 03/12/2008 01:58 AM
Hey Guys

Sorry for the long delay. the sword from the habiki to the tip is 28inches.
© Your new forums