UBB.threads
Posted By: hs132 US Army Vet. shipping crates/Japanese blades find - 08/02/2007 05:17 AM
Hello, a recent very fortunate find. I love these old shipping crates. An excellent bayonet, parade sword,a somewhat rusted out dirk and an unidentified bayonet at the bottom. The sword is a short katana and appears quite old and is in great condition. These were sent home to the Vets. mother's home in Nov. 1945. Includes 3 QM documents for Souvenirs. Best, Bill Bourque

Attached picture b2.jpg
Contents.

Attached picture b1.jpg
Here is a pic of the tang. Im having a tough time figuring this one out. Any help appreciated. Best, Bill

Attached picture s1.jpg
Great find. I love those old shipping boxes.

The bayonet at the bottom is the Danish Model 1867 Sword Bayonet for the M1867 Rolling Block Rifle.
Jerry, bayonet looks like an Enfield P1856. Some of these were used by the Japanese & will be found with a mum & Japanese numbers.
I opened up a U S Army footlocker in a garage one time and ended up with a skull staring back at me! Eek After I got over the initial shock I discovered the trunk belonged to an Army doctor and the skull was real but a display item. Roll Eyes
Jim
Hello, thanks for the help. I feel fortunate to aquire this grouping. I find the shipping crates to be collectable and the lids will look good as a backdrop. Ive looked closely and cant find any Japanese markings. Here is a pic of stamps on the blade. Im still struggling on the ***. sword tang inscription. Can anyone translate for me? Best, Bill

Attached picture e1.jpg
Documents. All 3 say the same except for the date. Bill

Attached picture p1.jpg
© Your new forums