UBB.threads
Posted By: MP716VN Japanese Iwo Jima Souvenirs - 08/17/2007 12:21 AM
Out of all the Japanese WW2 items I have in my collection, I thought I'd share my favorite ones. These were given to me by a USMC vet of Iwo Jima in April. He returned to Iwo in the late 1990's. He said "I didn't get any souvenirs the 1st time I was there, except, for the bullet that ended my stay on the island, 2 days into the battle. This time I'm ging to bring some back." This is what he brought back. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Enjoy! CHUCK

Attached picture Mvc-003f.JPG
Posted By: Dow Cross Re: Japanese Iwo Jima Souvenirs - 08/17/2007 02:36 AM
With the Japanese in control of the island now. I'm surprised that he was able to take this stuff off the island. They consider it a shrine to their war dead. Over the years Americans have taken a lot of skull's off the island. And I know this is a real touchy issue.
As Always
Posted By: Denny Gaither Re: Japanese Iwo Jima Souvenirs - 08/17/2007 02:56 AM
Intellectually I understand what you're saying Dow. Emotionally I have a hard time with this place being returned to the Japanese.
I lost a cousin on that god-forsaken piece of earth.
Posted By: MP716VN Re: Japanese Iwo Jima Souvenirs - 08/17/2007 04:24 AM
He got these items about 1998 or 1999. Since then they have tightened up visitation to Iwo Jima. Visits are authorized for only 1 day from dawn to dusk. I too doubt you can bring anything back now. CHUCK
Posted By: Dow Cross Re: Japanese Iwo Jima Souvenirs - 08/18/2007 02:17 AM
Denny,
I too know what you are saying. I lost a uncle that I never knew.
As Always
Posted By: Denny Gaither Re: Japanese Iwo Jima Souvenirs - 08/18/2007 02:39 PM
I just read in this morning's newspaper that the Japanese have changed the name of Iwo Jima to Iwo To! Iwo To was the original name of the island, but when the Japanese military took it over in 1944, it was mistakenly called Iwo Jima, perhaps because the two names mean the same: Sulphur Island. (this from USA Weekend)

To the Americans who fought, suffered or died there it will always be IWO JIMA
© Your new forums