UBB.threads
Posted By: ORPO WKC (parts is parts) Sword Candlesticks - 10/31/2008 09:23 PM
With the discussion of Eickhorn and WKC flat knuckle guard swords last week... here are two more. These swords were made from unfinished WKC parts during occupation to make up pairs of candlesticks. They both have the flat P guard utilized on the WKC Nr.61, Nr.1060, and Nr.1061 along with a generic ferrule. The lion head pommel and backstrap are not from the Nr. 1061 but are generic pieces used on WKC models such as the Nr.1016 and Nr.1057. The WKC lion head has a distinctive beard and red stone eyes.

Attached picture Sword_candlesticks.JPG
Posted By: ORPO Re: WKC (parts is parts) Sword Candlesticks - 10/31/2008 09:27 PM
A closeup of the sword hilt showing details. Notice that the grip is wrapped with one strand of spun aluminum wire. Also notice that the sword castings have only been minimally finished from the cast and have not received a final polish.

Attached picture Sword_candlestick.JPG
Posted By: ORPO Re: WKC (parts is parts) Sword Candlesticks - 10/31/2008 09:30 PM
Finally, a closeup view of the guard showing the eagle in the langet. Again, notice that the brass hilt has not received a final polish. "Parts is parts."

Attached picture Sword_candlestick_langet.JPG
Posted By: Swordfish Re: WKC (parts is parts) Sword Candlesticks - 10/31/2008 10:20 PM
George-
Nice. I've always sort of fancied the hilt candlesticks, although I have never followed through on adding any. Clearly though, no German Heer saber collection would be complete without the addition of a couple of these. I've always enjoyed to KM hilted candlesticks the most.

I wonder what my wife would say if I were to set a couple of these out on the dinner table next time we had a formal occassion Big Grin
Posted By: ORPO Re: WKC (parts is parts) Sword Candlesticks - 11/02/2008 12:06 AM
Well, my wife told me to get them off the dining room table after I took some pictures. Back to the basement for mine! I suspect your wife would think the same.

These are fun. I have a set of 1st model Luftwaffe daggers and a bayonet candlestick as well. But I think I am all stocked up on them for now.

Well... I suppose if a pair of SS swords or daggers made into candlesticks shows up then I might consider another pair. Wink

George
Posted By: Swordfish Re: WKC (parts is parts) Sword Candlesticks - 11/02/2008 04:10 AM
Heheee..I think my wife would toss 'em out the window. When she harps on the collectibles, I tell her, "honey, keep in mind, there's guys I know who still use skulls of deceased Japanese soldiers as ash trays. That's offensive babe. Not my daggers." Big Grin Big Grin
© Your new forums