UBB.threads
Posted By: lookielookie WWI sword Info? - 06/11/2008 12:24 AM
I have what I think is a WWI officers sword. I would love to know anything you might have to offer on this. (pic attached) The story goes that whilst my Grandfather was serving in the army in Germany in WWII he recovered this sword (and some silverware and other things) from the dump of a restaurant that he and some others were visiting. He brought it back with him. I have tried to research information online and from what I have found it would be a WWI officers sword field artillery. The stamp which is up under the the langet. It appears to be a kings head and a knights head with the letters WK&C underneath the figures. It has the shark skin grip. In German 3 Wurtt, Feld Artill Rgt No 49. It has quite a bit of scroll work on both sides and the top of the blade (no rust to speak of) May be hard to see but has a horses pulling the artillery cart and additional horses heads on it and then a mounted soldier on the reverse with the lettering. I can't find anything on this regiment online. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Description: WWI sword
Attached picture HPIM4048.JPG
Posted By: lookielookie Re: WWI sword Info? - 06/11/2008 12:27 AM
pic 2

Attached picture HPIM4046.JPG
Posted By: lookielookie Re: WWI sword Info? - 06/11/2008 12:29 AM
pic3

Attached picture HPIM4047.JPG
Posted By: lookielookie Re: WWI sword Info? - 06/11/2008 12:30 AM
pic 4 email if you need more Wink

Attached picture HPIM4044.JPG
Posted By: BarryG Re: WWI sword Info? - 06/11/2008 02:20 AM
More than likely your sword belonged to an enlisted man and looks to be in very nice condition. This type of sword was for walking out dress. The regiment was the 49th on the German army roll, but the 3rd on the Wurttemburg state roll. Formed in 1899 and staioned in Ulm, part of the 13 corps.
Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP Re: WWI sword Info? - 06/11/2008 05:24 AM
Barry is right on top of this one, and overall it looks like a nice example of what is known as a �walking out� saber. As would have been carried off duty by a W�rtembergischer enlisted artilleryman in a horse mounted Field Artillery regiment. While earlier W�rtembergischer formations used their own patterns. At some point they increasingly fell in line with Prussian practices and influence with this saber being an example of same. FP
Posted By: lookielookie Re: WWI sword Info? - 06/12/2008 04:36 PM
Thanks! Smile You guys have been very helpful. I might be interested in selling it some time in future any idea as to what the market value on a sword of this nature might be? Razz
Posted By: lookielookie Re: WWI sword Info? - 06/12/2008 04:55 PM
Oh another question;
It has been kept in a climate controlled safe for some time now. What should I wipe it down with? Would gun cloth be OK? Thanks again!
© Your new forums