UBB.threads
Posted By: ORPO A Christmas Gift - 12/12/2020 04:11 PM
Gents,

In honor of the season I thought I would post a sword that was given as a Christmas gift in 1933. This sword is an example of why I always pull a plain-Jane sword out of the scabbard to look at the blade.

This is a Mounted Officer sword by WKC that has a polished plain brass hilt with no decoration. The hilt is identifiable as being made for an Officer due to the reinforcement block seen at the juncture of the straight cross guard and the P shaped knuckle guard. This embellishment is not normally found on Enlisted swords of this style. The sword has a standard black painted steel scabbard with a single movable ring but also has a triple etched blade. The blade has the usually encountered WKC style full etching with foliage designs and personalized etching panels on both sides. One panel identifies the sword as a Christmas gift without identifying the giver. The other identifies the recipient and commemorates his service in the mounted unit of the Bad-Aachen Landespolizei. Perhaps a Christmas gift from his wife or men?

Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year in 2021.

Attached picture Aachen Lapo sword.JPG
Attached picture Aachen Lapo hilt.JPG
Attached picture Aachen Lapo Xmas blade.JPG
Attached picture Aachen Lapo blade.JPG
Posted By: ed773 Re: A Christmas Gift - 12/12/2020 09:42 PM
ORPO
Very nice sword, thanks for showing.
I'd take one for Christmas.
Ed
Posted By: ORPO Re: A Christmas Gift - 12/13/2020 03:42 PM
Thanks for the reply Ed. Willy must have been especially good in 1933 to get so high up on Santa's list.

This sword is shown in the WKC catalog as their "[b]Nr.3 Glatter Offizier-Einheitz-Sabe[/b]l", or polished finish officer sword.

Here are some other pictures of the blade etching. Hard to capture good photos of blade etching like this.

Attached picture Aachen LP WKC mark.JPG
Attached picture Aachen Xmas etch.JPG
Attached picture Aachen 2.LPH etch.JPG
Posted By: derjager Re: A Christmas Gift - 12/22/2023 10:28 PM
Seems a good time to bring this post back around.

--dj--Joe
Posted By: ed773 Re: A Christmas Gift - 12/23/2023 12:31 PM
Joe, yes it is. I've been pretty good these past years, and I have not got my sword yet.
Have a great and safe Holidays.
Ed
Posted By: Herman V. (aka Herr Mann) Re: A Christmas Gift - 12/28/2023 05:45 PM
That is a great "Weihnachten" sword!

Well done!
Posted By: Mikee Re: A Christmas Gift - 12/28/2023 09:40 PM
It sure is! Congratulations!
Posted By: stingray Re: A Christmas Gift - 12/28/2023 09:52 PM
Wow,that's nice one,congrats
Posted By: Billy G. Re: A Christmas Gift - 01/05/2024 07:47 PM
What a super piece, can’t judge a book by its cover.
© Your new forums