UBB.threads
Posted By: Mann Baby bayo - 03/26/2010 10:46 PM
,,my first mini. (any 411 appreciated) Wink

Posted By: Mann Re: Baby bayo - 04/01/2010 10:38 PM
,,(I realize now, the pics are crap Razz )
Just wondering, are these common? I've seen all manner of more elaborate blade minis, but few basic bayo?
Cheers,
Pauli
Posted By: Andy Mraz Re: Baby bayo - 04/07/2010 12:26 PM
Other variations 1
Posted By: Andy Mraz Re: Baby bayo - 04/07/2010 12:26 PM
Variations 2
Posted By: Andy Mraz Re: Baby bayo - 04/07/2010 12:28 PM
A brief article I wrote a number of years ago on request. Hope this helps a little. Cool

An Essay on Miniature Bayonets
Just as small but not as glamorous as miniature daggers, miniature bayonets* hold there own in regard to construction and (to a lesser extent) desirability. Their attractiveness can be attiributed to both a relative abundance (comparatively speaking) and a price well below miniature daggers. Where an average Army may range from $350 to $1500 depending on maker and blade embellishments, a bayonet, even with a stag grip will seldom exceed $400. This fact alone makes them appealing to many, as it allows enthusiasts to further their collections even with limited funds. As with miniature daggers, they afford collectors flexibility, both because of their diminutive size and as with other miniatures, some collectors elect to compliment a regulation dagger via a side by side display, always an impressive technique. Some even opt to use them as functional devices, i.e., letter openers sitting casually on ones desk akin to their use 60 years ago. Prices and availability aside, miniature bayonets and daggers have similar qualities. Unquestionably the most common element between the two is their purpose. As with daggers they served frequently as small tokens of accomplishments (shooting awards), gifts from military personnel or family showing unit affiliation, recognizing artistic professions (e.g., musicians, painters) or merely as advertising strategy. The most notable difference is the absence of marked blades with bayonets. Although the array of makers is varied, the actual number marked is surprisingly few. Not wishing dawdle on construction characteristics, I would would like to note the following more distinctive features occasional found encountered.

Grips: checkered Bakelite grips plates, with and without simulated lugs, with and without rivets, all metal grip

Blades: plated blades, blood grooves

Scabbards: flat style, anodized, painted

Markings: Imperial Crown, basic Panzer, Infantry, and Artillery etching on pommels, Maltese cross

Rare: Stag Grips, working lugs, wood grip, slots for rifle mounting, form fitted case

Fakes: police emblem, nicely stitched blackfrog, Crown F over an N

Portepees with unit colors

Reason to collect: compliment a regulation piece, nice display, something to do at shoes when $$$ ar scarce,

* bay’o-net, n.: [Fr. Bayonette; so called because the first bayonets were made at Bayonna, France.]. German Clamshells and Other Bayonets, R. J. Weinland, 1985.

Me Fecit Solingen pages 212
Posted By: Mann Re: Baby bayo - 04/07/2010 01:44 PM
,,wonderful info Andy. Thank you for your time, photos and insight.
Cheers, Paul
Posted By: Ritterkreuz Re: Baby bayo - 07/30/2011 03:47 AM
I have a knot to one of these and was wondering what they are worth???
Posted By: dr73 Re: Baby bayo - 07/30/2011 12:00 PM
Very nice bayonets you got there! Congretulations!
Regards, Dan
Posted By: Houston Coates Re: Baby bayo - 07/30/2011 04:32 PM
Knots for these are very scarce. I have a few available for $50.00 each.
© Your new forums