UBB.threads
Posted By: wotan Mysterious marking on SS Degen - 12/10/2017 07:34 PM
Dear collector friends! I could observe a mysterious marking on SS Degens. At least on three of them.
All three are all obviously very early, pure nickle silver Degens.
All three have the proper SS marking in oktogon on scabbard mouth and knucklebow.

So have any of you observed such markings on further SS degens or other SS items and does any of you know or can at least reasonably explain what the marking (imho a chamber marking, but of which unit???) says?
Thank you in advance, regards,

Attached picture a.JPG
Posted By: Kurt_Menliff Re: Mysterious marking on SS Degen - 12/14/2017 08:36 AM
Yep, saw that on Unterfuhrer degens only ... I sent photos of one to Thomas Johnson a while back and he confirmed they were unit markings ...

Regards

K.
Posted By: wotan Re: Mysterious marking on SS Degen - 12/14/2017 04:51 PM
Thank you very much for this information! I will try to get additional details from TMJ.
Regards,
Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP Re: Mysterious marking on SS Degen - 12/25/2017 10:59 PM
Correct period markings, (IMO) they were so marked probably because those swords would have been loaned by the SS from time to time to enable the wearer to perform their assigned duties, as is also seen with some Luftwaffe swords etc. Best Regards, Fred
Posted By: wotan Re: Mysterious marking on SS Degen - 12/29/2017 02:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP
Correct period markings, (IMO) they were so marked probably because those swords would have been loaned by the SS from time to time to enable the wearer to perform their assigned duties, as is also seen with some Luftwaffe swords etc. Best Regards, Fred

Hello Fred, thank you for contribution. These are the same thoughts I do have. from special interest would be which unit (clotz chamber) did use to mark their degen this way. It should be certain as there are only few of these marked degens around.
Regards,
Posted By: BAMA Re: Mysterious marking on SS Degen - 12/29/2017 06:26 PM
It looks to me like they were all stamped with the same die set. Which to me would mean that they all belonged to one arms room.
Posted By: wotan Re: Mysterious marking on SS Degen - 12/30/2017 05:34 PM
Posted By: wotan Re: Mysterious marking on SS Degen - 12/30/2017 05:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Kurt_Menliff
Yep, saw that on Unterfuhrer degens only ... I sent photos of one to Thomas Johnson a while back and he confirmed they were unit markings ...

Regards

K.

Hello Kurt_Menliff, as said I did contact LTC Johnson but unfortunately he could not remember having had any such discussion with you. Is it possible that you did discuss it with the-other-Tom Wittman???
Posted By: Kurt_Menliff Re: Mysterious marking on SS Degen - 12/31/2017 05:59 PM
Hello

Yes, that was the other Tom : here is the message and the photos

Thank you for the email and the pictures of the SS NCO Degen. Yes, this Degen appears original and it is an early piece. The number stamped on the throat, "6" or "9" would indicate that possibly the Degen remained the property of the SS and was loaned to NCO's when required. I doubt that the troddel is from this Degen, but it is original.

Good luck with this piece.

Best,

Thomas T. Wittmann

[img:center][/img]

Regards

K.
Posted By: wotan Re: Mysterious marking on SS Degen - 12/31/2017 08:43 PM
Hello Kurt_Menliff, I see you have already posted the certain pics. Thank you for this.
It is an interesting marking but obviously (imho) a different cloth chamber as the number is stamped transverse and is missing the colon. Also uit seems to be a later steel/nickled version of the degen in contrary to the pure nicke degens with the other stamp.
But, for me, without any doubt also a cloth chamber marking.

So now I do look for two units whose cloth chambers did use such stampings wink .

Do/did you own this nice NCO degen?

Thank you for showing!
Regards,
Posted By: Krikke Re: Mysterious marking on SS Degen - 01/02/2018 12:32 PM
Rack numbers.
© Your new forums