UBB.threads
Posted By: Lost Dutchman SS NCO Sword Named - 05/31/2014 03:17 PM
Hi Guys.

I recently picked this piece up on another forum. It's coming with a full inspection and return. These pictures are the sellers and not mine. It didn't come with a scabbard but I happen to have one for it.

I'd like your first impressions. I'll get some more pics when it arrives this week.

Posted By: ORPO Re: SS NCO Sword Named - 05/31/2014 04:39 PM
My first impression is not good. The wooden grip is too long for the pommel showing a section that should be underneath the pommel. Clearly the SS rune pommel cap has been removed/installed with a pair of pliers that left markings on it. Finally, the blade etch looks very poorly done and the letters are an odd form of Fraktur that do not look period to me. Three strikes and you are out for me.
Posted By: Lost Dutchman Re: SS NCO Sword Named - 05/31/2014 08:00 PM
I had noticed those things.. but with a full return policy I think I'd like to get my hands on it and get a closer look and some better pictures.
Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP Re: SS NCO Sword Named - 05/31/2014 08:21 PM
I'm in agreement with George, and might even give it a 1/2 extra strike. And that's because the etching looks like it's most likely on top of a previously worn/damaged blade. FP

Attached picture P5136605_zpsdd1c2628 - 2.jpg
Posted By: Lost Dutchman Re: SS NCO Sword Named - 06/01/2014 08:12 PM
I'll get some better pics this week. Like I always say... Nothing risked, nothing gained. With my full return policy I'm not risking much.
Posted By: BAMA Re: SS NCO Sword Named - 06/05/2014 07:21 PM
I would not buy this degen.
Posted By: Drimmer17 Re: SS NCO Sword Named - 06/27/2014 04:24 PM
hi, do you have buy it ?
Posted By: Grumpy Re: SS NCO Sword Named - 06/27/2014 08:06 PM
Almost all, if not all, SS and police degens have 13 segments in the grips. On this one it looks like the upper segment has been demolished. So, the grip would have to be replaced or repaired to make it look "right." Pliers marks are often found on these degens, officer and NCO models. For some reason, someone feels compelled to remove the top fitting to see what's inside. They often damage it when they do so. This is a condition issue, rather than an authentication one. The grip was likely damages when the top fitting was replaced and overly tightened. Duh! As to the etch, I know little about them, but I agree this one looks odd. It sort of has the look of a photo etch, but I could be wrong. It appears the whole degen has been highly polished, objectionable to some collectors. The final decision, of course, is up to you. With the comments here and the price of the degen, you might or might not decide it is a good buy for your taste and purposes.
Posted By: Drimmer17 Re: SS NCO Sword Named - 06/28/2014 05:45 AM
I think that all members have seen the other etched degen (police ss) on estand of waf
© Your new forums