UBB.threads
Posted By: Dave1104 Fake SS Sword? - 05/09/2014 06:13 PM
Hi. I've been offered this sword as shown in the attached photos. I'm about 90% certain this is a fake, based on what are probably obvious signs to the experts here.

-I've not seen the motto engraved on the blade before
-The engraving looks poorly done
-The engraving with the name looks poorly done

My inclination is to run. Do you agree?

Thanks,

Dave Speck

Attached picture PA091110.JPG
Attached picture PA091120.JPG
Attached picture PA091123.JPG
Attached picture PA091124.JPG
Attached picture PA091126.JPG
Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP Re: Fake SS Sword? - 05/09/2014 06:44 PM
Dave, Welcome to the forum - and your instincts are correct. A fake/fantasy conversion of what seems to be a period made sword to a (supposedly) much more valuable "SS" saber. Most likely an "old school" fake with even more problems than you've made note of, that is now only worth the value of the scabbard by itself which seems to be untouched. If it was me I would be running - and not looking back. Best Regards, FP
Posted By: Dave1104 Re: Fake SS Sword? - 05/09/2014 07:25 PM
Fred,
Thanks for the confirmation. I will catch my breath shortly from the sprint to get away. In the meantime (puff, puff) you mention some other problems than what I noted. Are you able to elaborate?

Thanks,

Dave
Posted By: Dave1104 Re: Fake SS Sword? - 05/09/2014 07:26 PM
Perhaps the weak Alcoso mark?
Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP Re: Fake SS Sword? - 05/09/2014 09:20 PM
Dave, With all of the fakes that are still being made/converted I don't want to get too specific, because it very likely could mean that other legitimate period items get destroyed for the sake of profits. But lets say that it really has more to do with the contrast in known historical facts - to why even some well known, pictured in books, and advertised items are still being sold as original period items.

With the thread here (one of two) of an out and out outrageous (IMO) fake being argued as period. "Kaltenbrunner - SS" sword fake

And my point being that once good photos were provided it was clear that it was a fake. But the indictors were there long before then, that were contradicted by some in the hobby as being "just another variation". And when it was created 30-40-50 (?) years ago many of the fakers were making mistakes and bad guesses - that some of the old-timers were just not able to determine had been faked. Best Regards, Fred
Posted By: Dave1104 Re: Fake SS Sword? - 05/09/2014 09:28 PM
Ok. Thanks Fred.
© Your new forums