UBB.threads
My dear friends,

I recently went to Germany on a personal trip but had some time to visit the famous Deutsches Klingenmuseum - German Blade Museum at Solingen. Here are some pictures that I took and would like to share with all of you.

Engraved & marker marked blades

Etched & blued blades

Imperial blades including Kaiser Wilhelm II Damascus Presentation Swords

Third Reich blades

Traditional style Execution Sword, based on a medieval design, yet this example was created by Professor Woenne in the 1930s

I would like to take this opportunity to say a big thank you to - Michael Everett , Frederick J. Stephens , Tom Johnson and James Brown (Damast) - for all the help and advise given.

Thank you guys ;-)

Cheers,
Ibrahim.
Thank you for this post...It seems they have changed there sword display. In the last year or so.. I have always liked that Bismark sword!! Big Grin
Posted By: ORPO Re: Deutsches Klingenmuseum - German Blade Museum - 03/24/2010 02:09 PM
Excellent photographs! Thank you for sharing these with us.
Great stuff!! Love those Imperial blades. Smile
Nice photos and hats off to the museum. Nicely executed display!!!
Posted By: Joe S Re: Deutsches Klingenmuseum - German Blade Museum - 03/24/2010 08:46 PM
I do not recall seeing the Third Reich items when I was there about 35 years ago.I think they added that section more recently. Its a great place to visit. Do they have records that can be researched there? Joe S
Ibrahim, A visual feast for the eyes SmileSmileSmile Thank You!!! Fred
My friends,

Here is the website to this museum http://www.klingenmuseum.de
And this is a good video introduction about it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LCZdqng7qk

The location , address & opening time

The overall overview of the museum

Thanks for the incredible post.
#32 is amazing.
Posted By: Mann Re: Deutsches Klingenmuseum - German Blade Museum - 03/26/2010 11:22 PM
,,Thank you for your great photos and enlightenment Ibrahim.
Cheers,
Paul
Posted By: spock Re: Deutsches Klingenmuseum - German Blade Museum - 03/27/2010 04:39 PM
I visited the Museum and met the director during some research I was carrying out on a german hunting sword.

I believe the display of the third Reich items was not as comprehensive as shown in the pictures.

I will agree it is a good place to visit and if the same receptionist is still there she spoke perfect English and was a gem.
quote:
I will agree it is a good place to visit and if the same receptionist is still there she spoke perfect English and was a gem

Going back anytime soon Frank!! Wink

I would love to see a close up of that slant gripped army if you have one on file Ibrahim, the other items are breath-taking.
Posted By: GAJ Re: Deutsches Klingenmuseum - German Blade Museum - 03/28/2010 09:04 PM
An excellent update on the Blade Museum. Thanks for the pictures.
quote:
Originally posted by Degens:
quote:
I will agree it is a good place to visit and if the same receptionist is still there she spoke perfect English and was a gem

Going back anytime soon Frank!! Wink

I would love to see a close up of that slant gripped army if you have one on file Ibrahim, the other items are breath-taking.

hi DEGENS,

Here is the picture you asked for.

My favorite is definitely Kaiser Wilhelm Damascus Presentation sword (No.32) Wink

cheers,
Ibrahim.
Posted By: Mikee Re: Deutsches Klingenmuseum - German Blade Museum - 03/29/2010 06:37 AM
Sorry for the picture quality, but here it is just a little bit lower. Regards

Attached picture Solingen-Museum-Army-Dag1.jpg
WOW,early and rare Heer dagger they have on display! Fittings and Bird used by Axt und Hauer Fabrik and Plumacher (VERY rarely seen!!) not your "typical" Heer! wish I could look closer!! Eek Kevin.
Ibrahim,
Thank you for posting the army, you took some great pictures. It certainly does look like a scarce one too, possibly early ACS or HOLLER but Axt and Plumacher are the marks you would like to seeSmile.

I wonder if they know what they have got and whether they would swap it for a mint condition later dagger ( for display purposes only of course Smile ).
Some beautiful swords. Would love to see the HJ bayonet in hand. Also interesting that they have Heer hangers displayed with a TENO Officer dagger.
heading to hollad this week planning a day trip to soligen would love to stop there if time permits
Posted By: Mikee Re: Deutsches Klingenmuseum - German Blade Museum - 04/29/2010 02:43 PM
The maker of the Army dagger on display is Alexander Coppel. ACS with scales.
Posted By: Mikee Re: Deutsches Klingenmuseum - German Blade Museum - 04/29/2010 03:25 PM
Houston,
I know this isn't as good as having it in hand, but this is the best I could do for ya and hope it helps. Best.

Attached picture HJ-bayone1.jpg
Posted By: Mikee Re: Deutsches Klingenmuseum - German Blade Museum - 04/29/2010 03:25 PM

Attached picture HJ-bayonet2.jpg
My apologies for this late reply. Here are the rest of the photos that I took of this section display.

Hi ibrahim,

excellent job done!

Thanks for sharing pic's
Best Regards,
Gerd
Mikee, How do you know the maker on the Heer? Kevin.
quote:
Originally posted by Degens:

Still a mind boggling set of pictures, I have to ask. Was it accented or more neutral? Remembering some folks in Germany who learned English from UK teachers or while living there. Having to sometimes do a double mental shift, when there was a blurring between the English and the German (no offense intended, as we have internal U.S. dialects, as do the Germans). My Best to All, Fred
Posted By: spock Re: Deutsches Klingenmuseum - German Blade Museum - 05/08/2010 12:18 AM
There was a slight accent and I suspect she must have spent some time in an English speaking country. There are some language quirks you do not learn in a school. I once met a Japanese business man whlst I was in Hawai and if I shut my eyes he sounded as if originated from Oxford. Made my London accent sound shameful....lol
Posted By: Mikee Re: Deutsches Klingenmuseum - German Blade Museum - 05/13/2010 10:44 PM
Heers68,

It's ALL in the DETAILS!!....... Big Grin
You have mail. All the best and thanks for keeping my secret!
© Your new forums