UBB.threads
Posted By: Doug Sword from the Kansas City Gun Show. - 01/16/2006 07:02 PM
AT last Saturdays Kansas City Gun Show I got this great looking sword . The gilt is almost still 100 % and bright , Lions head has 2 red glass eyes . The blade has minimal scratches at the edge, but otherwise mint , and has the dbl. knights heads with WKC below them . Scabbard has 100% black finish .Knott is very worn.

Attached picture MVC-028S.JPG
Posted By: Doug Re: Sword from the Kansas City Gun Show. - 01/16/2006 07:03 PM
..an other shot.

Attached picture MVC-029S.JPG
Posted By: Doug Re: Sword from the Kansas City Gun Show. - 01/16/2006 07:04 PM
..and an other one.

Attached picture MVC-030S.JPG
Posted By: ORPO Re: Sword from the Kansas City Gun Show. - 01/16/2006 07:06 PM
Doug/Bernd,

I saw this sword at the show. A very nice sword at a very decent price. Congratulations!

George
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Sword from the Kansas City Gun Show. - 01/16/2006 10:40 PM
The saber is to nice for the knot. I wonder if someone may have added the knot.
Posted By: Dow Cross Re: Sword from the Kansas City Gun Show. - 01/17/2006 02:24 AM
Vary nice Ulans or other elite Calvary sword you have here.
Posted By: mrfabulous Re: Sword from the Kansas City Gun Show. - 01/17/2006 10:34 AM
Great catch and condition too!
Congrats Smile
Posted By: Mike Dalton Re: Sword from the Kansas City Gun Show. - 02/01/2006 08:26 PM
Hi All, nice looking sword. Can anyone be so kind as to post the proper way a knot should be affixed to a sword. Thanks
Posted By: ORPO Re: Sword from the Kansas City Gun Show. - 02/01/2006 09:01 PM
Mike,

Here is the regulation method to tie edged weapon knots. This plate is taken from a standard manual.

George

Attached picture Troddel_ties.jpg
Posted By: anonymous 123 Re: Sword from the Kansas City Gun Show. - 02/01/2006 10:22 PM
I like to tie the sword knot on my SS & Police examples so the strap passes behind and not in the standard way as shown in Example 10 so as not to hide the lower fitting.
However; This bothers a friend and fellow Forum member so I've got to redo mine again since his recent visit. Roll Eyes Smile
Jim
Posted By: Joe S Re: Sword from the Kansas City Gun Show. - 02/01/2006 10:52 PM
On the subject of knots, I have noticed a wear pattern on many swords which appears to coincide with the location of the knot. I have speculated that some acid in the leather may degrade the finish of the gilding in addition to the wear resulting from the rubbing of the knot with the metal surface. Metallic thread in the knots certainly aggravate the situation. As a precaution, I have removed all the knots from my sabers and store them separately.
Perhaps I am being a little "over protective" ? Joe S
Posted By: Mike Dalton Re: Sword from the Kansas City Gun Show. - 02/02/2006 07:59 PM
Thank You George.
Doug: My compliments on a very nice sword. Smile

Thank You George!! Visuals are better than guesses. And sometimes the knots are not tied correctly, with things happening in the intervening years from when the swords were first acquired and now.

At one time I had my swords racked horizontally like those in the Military History Museum in Prague. I was always afraid of snagging a knot and damaging it permanently, and consequently removed them. And tagging them - after I was not sure on a couple of them when I went back and tried to figure who belonged to what. Confused
FP
© Your new forums